“Is it really that good?” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Coolest Marrakech Deal
Ranked #28 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Is it really that good?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I stayed Dar Najat in September. Because of good review and friendly reply from owner Olivier made me dicide to choose this hotel. However while our stay we never met this fabulous owner. Yes it is cute hotel and when we arrived that the guy in charge thoroughly introduced us to the area. So I thought it was a good hotel in the begining. We had a superior room though it was very dark and small. There was no desk and not even a chair. And I saw the dust on the foot of bedside lamp and also on the door frame. Then we never had hot water, just about tepid. You may think I am fussy but when paying 115 euro a night, I would be pretty upset if this kind happened in England. Another wonder is reggae music was on from morning to late evening. Personally I did not mind but do everyone like it? Good side was mint tea, fresh orange juice are served at any time. There is a jacuzzi which we were kind of looking forward to dip in, but again the water was too cold for Marrakesh night chill, also it is next to the table people having dinner. I am too shy to walk past in swimsuits next to diners. But maybe it is nice to dip in during the day. The leaving day, on the bill there was airport transfer charge, which was offered free of charge on e-mail correspondence. I pointed out and it was amended, though the guy clearly not in the mood of smiling. Then we were virtually ushered into the taxi, I wanted to say thank you and good bye, but there was no time. Well of course they did not bother saying good bye to us! This hotel may appeal some people but I doubt it really worth the money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
RiadDarNajat, Owner at Riad Dar Najat, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
Hi kikahopper!
Apparently..you don't seem to have appreciate so much your stay..!!
Very sorry to hear we we're not the perfect accomodation we try to be..
Something my friend..i really don't understand so far..why didn't you complain for the shower supposed to be cold.??
Can happen every where(even if we're ones of the not numerous houses in Marrakech to be hightvoltage&with a plomber for tow riads..a climatisation contract(not cheap!)who comes every two weeks fixing&cleaning..but again why dear custemer would you have waited so long for complaining??would had been may more positive attitude(for you first!) to mention..to have the problem fixed...if problem there was..!
Again,i do think one of the minimal thing is to have hot water and for us,your money is alright and you must have a normal and fair prestations as 97% of our guests seem to believe..in the huge majority at the opposite of your feelings dear guest.
We're really more than sorry if you find the place not as clean as other travelers due to a numerous team of 9 persons.for 7 accommodations only..means we've got the real time to wash!
Last point ,as every human person..working since four o'clock morning every day.;but the "fabulous owner" is sorry to say he's got some few break in the years(short..but several my friend!)and has his own life&interest&family and he's supposed to have some day off in the year to be providing a good service and to love the job as i do..
I hope if it is not your case ..,that everybody may understand that this place is quite unique and we do love dar najat but any way again..have all our private life.
Even without the"fabulous owner" you had Abdu&Amin&Maroc&Said&Sakina&Souad&Aicha&Nagiba who we're taking care of you..
Any way,agin very sorry not to have done a good job if it is the case&regarding your post(not so brillant for us!) and we sincerely wish you to he much more happier in your future holidays.
ps:for free transfer..4 nights minimal stay required..if not charged..lmeans no rip off in our place my friend!
Yours sincerely,Oliver.

766 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

Went to Marrakesh first week in September. In the 40s every day. I didn't like Marrakesh much - I guess the young will love it, me, I am too old and couldn't handle the heat and the hassle, tho' my daughter went the week after me, stayed at different hotels, and came back disappointed as well.
Dar Najat was comfortable, in a good location and the atmosphere convivial. The owner Oliver is French, charming and charismatic. The staff I found very obliging without fussing too much; I liked the free tea (or other drinks) provided whenever you wanted - nice touch. The bedroom was comfortable, nicely decorated, if slightly dark, and the air conditioning worked most of the time. Breakfast was great; had dinner one night and it was nice, the salad starter was about as good as I've ever had in my life. I liked the ambiance, the cats that walked along the fence at night with a guy calling out from the street below, being ignored of course; the kids played out on the street till late at night, liked that, and the sky is very clear as they say, can see all the stars - when it's too hot to sleep. Was a tortoise on the landing outside the room- my wife insisted on picking it up - so it peed down her dress, serves her right.
You have to be wary in Marrakesh all the time - no peace, tho you kind of get used to dealing with it by the end of the week, if not the occasional swearing at you . On the other hand, I don't think it fair to generalise too much - you encounter the good and bad - some very helpful people, same as everywhere else. Essouria I found very nice to look at tho had a meal at a rip-off over-charging joint where the owner gave some poor woman a right going-over for having taken a picture of someone working in the place. (Never got the point re sensitivity on photos, all over the country, tho I should have enquired on the rule.) plus a memorably bad run in with a robbing shopkeeper, all in a space of four hours. Adieu Essouria, never again. Take the bus to get there - it is very comfortable and at 10 E each way it is a lot less than the organised trips which appear not great value. I never saw much else of Morrocco - daughter went to Atlas mountains and enjoyed it. think that's the trick - get away from the town, as Oliver had said, tho again you have to watch the cost, unless a millionaire as they all assume you are. Lot of poverty in Morrocco, obvious, and life must be harder, lot harder. But the head of the Tourist Board has a fair old job on his hands.
I don't have plans to go back to Morrocco any time soon, but if I did I would be happy to recommend this hotel - for the good ambiance, I liked the staff, the food and the easy going way. Negatives, and only minor really were: not especially cheap - well up at Paris prices, and Marrakesh is not Paris, and Oliver's music (bloos) - Oliver ,please get a grip, log on to Youtube to see what's branchee, and then burn all the tapes; and it can be hot at night.. In summary, a nice hotel in a good location. If you like Marrakesh, I would say it's a good choice for a stay.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

This was my second stay at this riad, it felt like I was going back home.

The staff are all fantastic, lead by Oliver the staff will pamper to your every needs, drinks whenever you want, help and advice for whatever you need in and around Marrakech.

The riad is very tastefully decorated and it is an escape from the medina, for once are you inside the riad you leave everything else behind. The riad is around a 5/10 minute stroll from Jemma el fna square, it is easy to find after you have been shown once.

The rooms have everything you need in them, the air con is ice cold and there was hot water available 24/7. The cleaners came around everyday and made sure the rooms were spotless and the towels replaced. The pillows and beds are really nice, they were just perfect for a good nights sleep.

The breakfast was splendid, everything you would need including fresh orange juice, pancakes, omlettes, waffles, jams, honey, pastries, tea/coffee. If you have any specific request and you let the staff know the day before I am sure they will arrange it for you. We had an evening meal at the riad and it was the best meal we ate during our 7 days in Morocco, it was a lamb tagine and the flavours were perfect.

There are two large terraces and other places were you can sit and relax, there is always relaxing music slowly playing in the background. The riad has free WIFI and they will let you use one of their laptops to check on the latest news and your emails. There is also a massive jacuzzi on one of the terraces.

I would highly recommend this riad to all of my family, friends and all tripadvisor members, the staff are very friendly and there is always someone to help you day or night. The next time I am in Marrakech I will definitely stay at this riad again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Faro, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We found the Dar Najat to be just what we imagened; a peaceful (Moroccan) haven from which to escape the bustle and noise of the city and Medina where nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They were a terrific bunch and made us feel so welcome and any information we needed was given. We were taken to the Medina on foot by one of the staff who did not leave us until we were completely comfortable with the directions back to the riad which was only minutes away. We would definately return to the Dar Najat which we need to anyway because we left our hearts there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Armadale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Riad and room was exactly as described on website. Service was 5 star as nothing was a trouble to the entire staff. Rooms cleaned and towels replaced daily. Excellent meals prepared as and when we asked .We were escorted to the Square and to and from a restaurant one evening by a member of staff, so that we wouldn't get lost ( easy to do in the winding narrow streets.) We really appreciated the attention.
Before arrival we asked Oliver to arrange an itinerary for us and all three tours were well organised and interesting. The driver would telephone the Riad on the way home to arrange the time of our meal. If I were to go back to Marrakech I would most certainly stay at the Riad Dar Najat

paris france
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

A perfect location in central Marrakech, yet quiet and relaxed
The staff were absolutely wonderful, made my girlfriend and I so welcome and could not do enough for us. It was less about guests and staff...and more about hosts and friends. By the time we left we had made great friends at the riad and were sorry to leave such a wonderful place.
Hightly recommended!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

The welcome we receved on arrival was absolutely
fantastic, we felt at ease in the riad from the start.

We were sat down, given a complimentary drink and given
recommendations for places to visit, told how to get to
each one with a potential route for our first day in
Marrakesh.

After enquiring about where to go for dinner we were
shown around the immediate area and taken to Djemaa El
Fna which ensured we had our bearings immediately. The
breakfast was consistently very good

The jacuzzi on the roof terrace was fantastic,
especially in the heat of Marrakesh in August! All the
staff were so helpful and friendly throughout our stay. A
fantastic place to stay!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Dar Najat? Share your experiences!