“Fantastic Oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Hickory, North Carolina
“Fantastic Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We chose Dar Najat because it is in the heart of the Medina, five minutes from the famous Jemaa el Fna. We arrived late, tired, and travel worn and crossed through the nondescript doorway into an amazing oasis of beauty, warmth, and hospitality. We were not greeted as guests but as long lost friends. There was no check in hassle, but instead we were immediately shown our room to freshen up and relax. When we were ready we were given a tour of the multilevel riad surrounding a courtyard and decorated with rich woods, beautiful African craftwork, tile, and lush plantlife. There are likely 25 pictures we took of the interior alone. We ended at the rooftop patio with views of the Medina and the most famous Marrakech Mosque, the Koutoubia. As we relaxed with our choice of drink (which includes wine and beer options), Momo graciously answered all our questions and then left us to relax peacefully. It was late but we were not rushed for the dinner we had paid for with our reservation. When we did go down to eat, the dinner was the best food we had in our time in Marrakech. Breakfast and our first mint tea was amazing. Rooms were clean and comfortable. If you want to be treated like a reservation number in a sterile hotel from some multinational hotel chain, this is not the place for you. If you want to be treated with smiles, warmth, and concern by every single employee and feel like you truly visited the heart and soul of Marrakech, you can not do better than Dar Najat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
North Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is my 2nd visit to Marrakech now -and after my brilliant experience of Dar Najat I had to return.
The riad had been renovated since our last holiday 3 year ago -now with added roof terrace with sun loungers. What a difference! After a hard day of shopping and exploring the city, relaxing under the stars was truly memorable.

Our room (Widad) was clean -beautifully decorated and the air con was brilliant. We had the room that looked into the courtyard and I loved to sit in the morning whilst my husband slept (I wake early!) watching the World go by. I got to recognise the same local faces each day going about their business.
Sheets towels and bedding changed every day whilst we were out. Staff will also do your washing and ironing for a small charge (no irons in room).

Breakfast was the best ever. Selection of pancakes, eggs, breads, fruit coffee and the gorgeous fresh orange juice. They will make this whatever time you wake as well.

Oliver was his usual charming funny self -brilliant man with a heart of gold. He has become a really good friend since our last visit -he even made my husband a birthday cake (amazing!) which was presented to him on arrival.

Free transfers to and from airport are included and staff help with the suitcases -nothing is enough trouble. Although we did not take up the offer of trips this time as we wanted to do our own thing -staff will arrange trips for you and will show you around if needed. We did take up the offer of a Hammam and Spa though -well recommended. (Medina spa).

Night time at the riad is very special once the many coloured lanterns are lit. The jacuzzi is an added extra and was so lovely just sitting with my feet in the water!

We will definitely return -Dar Najat feels like home now and I am so sad to be back in rainy England. Thank you Oliver and your fantastic team of staff.

Room Tip: Widad has the court yard view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I had the best experience at the Riad Da Najat - i did not have the chance of meeting Oliver the owner of the Riad (who is a great man) but his staff were soooo wonderful and caring - Amine was my best friend on this trip - smashing personality and escorted me everywhere, showed me the best parts of Marrakesh and i had my first experience of riding on a mo ped- very exciting for me. Mahmood was great also - fun guy with so many interesting topics to share while i was around. He was definitely great company.

Aisha is a great cook - food at the Riad was rich and enticing- portions large and satisfying. She is a lovely person as well as humble and fun to be around,and a second lady though I cannot remember her name.

Guests at the Riad were all like family - was comforting!

The Riad itself was mesmerising - it is not in the busiest part of town but it is so perfect, they call it the old town- quiet and breathtakingly traditional. I will go again not just for the great Riad but for the beautiful staff i was blessed to meet.

Oliver was a hand whenever i called him, i felt he was right beside me. He also assisted my daughter and I with chamging our booking after British Airways cancelled our flight. So we owe Oliver alot.

We return soon to see you all!!!!!

Love Pauline

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
münchen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I'm not a big writer, but for this lovely accomodation, i have to write some words ...
Marrakech is a great city to explore. After hours of walking through the medina, your legs and feets burn and your head will explode about the incredible impressions. Finally, lost in the middle of the souk – lucky to have a mobilephone from the hotel!!! After 15 minutes, Said find us :-)

After a short nap in my big cool room (Widad), i enjoy the silence on the rooftop with a fresh orange jus in the jacuzzi.

The food is excellent, try the "Couscous Royale"!

...so, thank you for the beautifull "Relax MAX" time in your riad.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

It's very close to the medina, jmaa el fnaa. not 5 minutes close but definitely 10-15. therefore it's also reasonable walking distance to just about anything else you want to see, from Jardin de Marjorelle (very nice garden) to Guilez (ritzy modern part of town) to the various mosques.

the facilities are very clean and well appointed. The one bed room i stayed in had its own AC, nice towels and a robe, and nice toilet paper (you won't laugh after spending more than a few days in Morocco).

It was a bit difficult to determine who was in charge or who played what role as everyone dressed like they were just hanging out, but everyone was very helpful and nice so far as language permitted.

I received a lock for the room, yet every day I'd come in and the sheets would be changed and the room tidied. Not that i'm complaining, but since access to the front to is highly restricted, it seems pointless to give me a key and lock if the staff are just going to open it with their own key anyways. That said, no money or anything else was every missing.

The roof has a great view and is a great place to hang out, surf the net (wifi is accessible up there as well), or just have some tea and shisha.

There were only two downsides:

1. The price was exorbitant, even after i bargained them down. On the other hand, it may have just been my lack of negotiation skills. In hindsight, 40-50 euros would have been an acceptable per-night rate for Dar Najat.

2. The location is such that you have to go through a number of local streets and alleys. It's all quite simple and navigable with very obvious landmarks, but this also means there will be unofficial "guides" offering to show you around but also demanding money every time they tkae you somewhere. One time I got turned around and some local boys showed me to way to the medina, then proceeded to take all my pocket change when i held it out to select the appropriate payment. In light of their sheer ballsiness and nonchalance, I could only grin and say "Fair play to you."

In another instance I tried to enter the street where Dar Najat was located only to be rebuffed by a young man who insisted the street was closed, and offered to show me to the medina. After some lengthy but mutually entertaining gesticulation and grunting, i managed to communicate my intended destination, at which point he stepped aside and waved me into the street I was originally trying to enter.

Much gnashing of teeth ensued.

Anyway, Dar Najat is a great place to stay--very clean, Air-conditioned, and a great location--just don't overpay like i did.

Also, Marrackech, much like the internet, is full of cats. FULL OF CATS.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
RiadDarNajat, Owner at Riad Dar Najat, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Hi and thanks for your lovely post.
Just one point..you may encounter in Dar Najat a more than great value for money with accommodations starting as cheap as 85 euro/night in b&b with free transfers for go and return and a free arrival dinner with all soft drinks free of charges too..for a minimal booking of four nights.
You will encounter here a perfect service& maintenance & concierges services & wifi free & great location & ac brand new..new mestres ..all restructured place where all is brand new.. and top breakfasts with fresh fruits of the day & minute made & fresh bakeries & pancakes & scrambled eggs..and as said mineral water & sodas & complementary fruits whenever you desire..
so..all in al l, at the opposite of what is claiming the reviewer concerning our prices don't see anything "exorbitant " here..as our price for value are considered as a top bargain everywhere or a top value place!
Many thanks again any for the really positive report and hope to have the pleasure to see back the traveler whenever possible!
Faithfully ,Oliver.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

From our florida home to our new home in morocco, the dar najat - the coolest riad in marrakech! We felt welcomed in the best of the moroccan tradition by friendly monsier oliver and his outstanding staff. A cozy, romantic and authentic riad with superb food. After a well slept night in a confortable and cool room we indulged in a glorious breakfast of the best fresh-squeezed orange juice ever tasted, refined moroccan mint tea and delicious food fit for a sultan. The driver, abderrahim, showed us marrakesh in a very professional way giving us very valuable tips.The dinner tagines were exquisit. We be back soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
North Potomac, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

The owner was very nice and welcoming and had drinks up with us in their seating area when we arrived with a very beautiful view of Marrakech. We had quite an ordeal finding their location and parking lot. Better directions for visitors would be useful (although I suspect this is the case for any riad in Marrakech), but they were extremely helpful in assisting us in retrieving our car and getting us to their parking lot and showing us the way out of Marrakech. The breakfast was very nice. The place is well situated and very chic.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Dar Najat? Share your experiences!