“Very Deceptive People, A Must Read!” 2 of 5 stars

Riad el Noujoum
50, Derb Ben Zina | Kasbah, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #84 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
south africa
“Very Deceptive People, A Must Read!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Me and my family had book a very long stay at the Riad el Noujoum. It's tucked away from the hussle and bussle of the neighboring Kasbah. But a thirty second walk brings you straight into the chaos of it all.

The Riad is very nice. But after a few days, you start to see the not so nice things about it. When we stayed, the Jacuzzi on the roof top had mold all over it. The upstairs lounge area is very dirty and dusty...

Our friend had booked a room with confirmation, but Ahmed had gotten a better offer, so without warming our friend had his room cancelled the day he was going to check in. Ahmed was rude and unaccomodating with this situation.

A few days prior to checking out, I had paid Ahmed for two weeks accommodation in cash. The day before departing, he tried to charge me for two days extra and for the washing that he had said was complimentary. He overcharged us for the laundry.

The day I was leaving to go to another accommodation, he was not there. I told the ladies that worked there, that I would put my bags in the car and return to settle with Ahmed. At this point, they locked the doors to the Riad and DID NOT ALLOW ME TO LEAVE. They stood in the door way while my children were outside in the parked car!

Needless to say, that I have will never want to stay at the Riad El Noujoum no matter how nice because Ahmed is a horrible human being who is greedy. But this is not the norm for people in Marrakech. Marrakech people are genuinly kind and respectful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Just came back from Marrakech were I spent 5 days with my husband and loved it. The riad we stayed at was the perfect choice, most big hotels are in the new town which is not that interesting (unless you can afford to stay at La Mamounia!!) so stay in the medina for an authentic experience. El Noujoum is located at very close walking distance to the main attractions of the medina and even though it's right off a very busy street it's peaceful and quiet. The staff are super friendly and accommodating. They organise for a chauffeur to pick you up from the airport for free and they even got up to make us breakfast at 6am so that we could have something to eat before heading to the airport even though the usual breakfast time starts at 8:30! Breakfast is great, with home made cakes (different one every day) and fresh orange juice among other things. We tried the traditional hammam and massage treatment which was to die for, at an affordable 500 dirhams for 1 hour of relaxing steaming, scrubbing, rubbing and massaging! and best of all, the condition, decor and overall look and feel is exactly as it appears in the pictures. Highly recommended place, can't wait to go back

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We booked this riad based on the comments here and we were not disappointed. We stayed for 4 nights and booked through http://www.accommodation-marrakech.com which gives either free nights or upgrades and we got both. We only paid for 3 nights and got upgraded to a suite. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and we were met with a drink upon arrival. The room was gorgeous. We had booked the double room on the first floor but were given the venus suite instead. I'm not sure I would call it a suite but it was larger than the rooms with a seating area.
The breakfast was served anywhere you want, at any time that you want. We usually had it down in the courtyard. The pancakes and sponge cake were not what we are used to having for breakfast but it was delicious and all served beautifully in silver tea pots and silver milk jugs.
The hot tub on the roof was a bit too hot on the first day but one of the ladies changed the water and cleaned it out and it was lovely and cool to sit in after sunbathing.
The drinks in the riad were reasonable too - a bottle of wine was about €12 (£10) and beer €3 (£2.50). The riad was very clean and the rooms so cool after the heat of the day.
The riad is only 15 minutes walk to the main square Jamma el Fna. It was very safe at night and we were never worried about walking down the narrow alleyways. Just be aware that if you get lost a friendly native will only be too happy to show you the way - for a price! It cost 100 Drm (£8) to get to the new part of the city in a taxi where we had a fabulous meal at Rennaissance Hotel - 2 courses and a bottle of wine was about 700Drm but well worth it. We would also recommend Aqua in the main square for pizzas and salads and their smoothies are great and very reasonably priced. Pizzas were 50Drm.
Overall the whole trip was fantastic and we would certainly go back again. Do not book a hotel. Book a riad instead and we would definitely recommend this one.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

My wife and I had a 3 night stay here, it was PERFECT for our needs. We like to walk relax read and blend in with the locals, this Riad allowed us to do all of the above. It's location is perfect, just the right distance from the Main Square (15min walk) the staff were delightful as were the entire population of Marrakech (in our experience) I took the advice of another member of "Trip-Advisor" and booked the FREE pick-up from the airport (great idea) it is so handy for the airport and if we ever return to Morocco I'll stay here for sure when I arrive and for a couple of nights before we depart, I think we will return and head fort he mountains next time. Love El-Noujoum, Love Marrakech, Love Morocco, Love Moroccans. If you are thinking of a visit...... stop thinking and start the booking process. Good Luck

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

Our flight, that should have arrived at 22.00 was delayed by 2 hours but were met by our pre booked taxi and taken to the door of the el Noujoum. Arriving at 1.00 the cheerful Khalid was waiting for us and offered us both tea and some food which, as we were so tired, we declined. In the morning we got up a lot later than we had anticipated and were offered a typical Moroccan breakfast (all this has been written about in previous reviews). The coffee was wonderful and the breakfast adequate. If you want greasy bacon and over cooked fried eggs then go and stay in one of the impersonal westernised hotels!!

The "girls" were friendly and efficient but did not speak any English but we were able to communicate ok. Khalid was most helpful giving us advice on places to go, how to get there and places to eat. On the last night Khalid made us some mint tea and, as we had bought some very naughty pastries, we asked him to join us. We had a long conversation and learnt a huge amount about the Moroccan way of life etc.

We booked one of the suites which was both spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was huge. The only one thing I would say is that if you like to shower then have one of the smaller rooms not a suite. They have the best showers ever but the suites have a huge bath with a hand held shower.

Khalid arranged for me to have a Hamman and massage. Do it!!! It only lasted an hour but seemed longer, and was woooonnnddderfullllll!!!

The lounge areas, terrace and dining room were charming. The peace and quiet is astonishing after the hustle and bustle outside. The only noise we heard was a cockerel one morning at 5.30. Wifi is also available free.

This is not a 5 star hotel but if you want a friendly, clean, typical Moroccan place to stay then this is a good choice. The only down side is that it is a 10/15 minute walk to the centre. We found it ok as we like to see what local life is like and see the nitty gritty local places.

There are lots of Riads to choose from and this one should be on your list.

We ate at Riad Monceau and Riad Kinza Both expensive but very good. We also ate in the square at le Marrakchi which was very good and more reasonable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed here for four nights on our honeymoon. Before listing my problems with this place, I think it is only fair to say that the suite (which we had at a discounted price) was beautifuly decorated and, if the service in the hotel had not been diabolical, this hotel would have been value for the money we paid (i.e. at the discount). The hotel is located in a nice part of town and easy to find if you ask the shopkeepers on the Rue de la Kasbah. But here are the problems:

1. Paying - on the last night we were informed that we could not pay our bill with credit card. The owner claims that when I made the booking I was told that I had to pay in cash. I have no recolletion of this. When I arrived, a man (who I took to be the boss, but was later informed was not the boss) told me I could pay by cash and so I assumed it was ok. As a result of this, it came as a surprise when I was told that I had to pay in cash. I had to walk around Marrakech at 11pm for half an hour to withdraw the cash from a cash machine and then carry all this cash back to the hotel - not a nice experience in any city. What was particularly galling about the whole business was that no one even offered us an apology for this inconvenience.

2. Service - The key to our door broke on the first day. As such, it was not possible to look the door to the bedroom. The staff failed to fix the lock for the period of our stay. There is a safe in the room, but we couldn't put all our stuff in it. On a different note - on two of the four nights we were there we had to ask for towels in our room as they had forgotten to leave us any.

3. The pool - the pool itself is very pleasant, but you have to be brave to use it! One bedroom looks straight on to it as does the kitchen where the staff are working and chatting. You really feel like you are spoiling the party if you try and take a dip.

4. Breakfast - we stayed in eleven hotels in our time in Morocco. This was the most expensive and had the least inspiring breakfast. There was nothing wrong with what was served (some bread, jam, a crumpet, orange juice, cake(!) and coffee) but at the price we paid, you expect a little bit more.

5. Laundry - the hotel agreed to some washing (no ironing) for us. It was one normal plastic shopping bag. When we came to pay the bill, I was infomed that the wasking cost 40 Euros (which I refused to pay). The receptionist begrudingly agreed to waive this for the inconvenience of me having to troop into town to find a cash point to pay the bill.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We have just returned from our stay. There were six of us in three rooms on the ground floor. It sounds too good to be true but everything was perfect. We were met at the airport at around 10.30 pm, made very welcome at the riad and served a cold beer. The whole building has been very carefully renovated with a great deal of attention to detail. It is around a 15 minute walk to the main square and to come back to the peace and comfort of the little courtyard is wonderful. Make sure you have a meal at the riad - the lamb tagine with apricots or prunes is delicious.
I have been to several hotels recommended by trip advisor and this is the first time I have felt I had to write a review!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Riad el Noujoum? Share your experiences!