“Loved It !!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Loved It !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

My wife and I had a 3 night stay here, it was PERFECT for our needs. We like to walk relax read and blend in with the locals, this Riad allowed us to do all of the above. It's location is perfect, just the right distance from the Main Square (15min walk) the staff were delightful as were the entire population of Marrakech (in our experience) I took the advice of another member of "Trip-Advisor" and booked the FREE pick-up from the airport (great idea) it is so handy for the airport and if we ever return to Morocco I'll stay here for sure when I arrive and for a couple of nights before we depart, I think we will return and head fort he mountains next time. Love El-Noujoum, Love Marrakech, Love Morocco, Love Moroccans. If you are thinking of a visit...... stop thinking and start the booking process. Good Luck

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

Our flight, that should have arrived at 22.00 was delayed by 2 hours but were met by our pre booked taxi and taken to the door of the el Noujoum. Arriving at 1.00 the cheerful Khalid was waiting for us and offered us both tea and some food which, as we were so tired, we declined. In the morning we got up a lot later than we had anticipated and were offered a typical Moroccan breakfast (all this has been written about in previous reviews). The coffee was wonderful and the breakfast adequate. If you want greasy bacon and over cooked fried eggs then go and stay in one of the impersonal westernised hotels!!

The "girls" were friendly and efficient but did not speak any English but we were able to communicate ok. Khalid was most helpful giving us advice on places to go, how to get there and places to eat. On the last night Khalid made us some mint tea and, as we had bought some very naughty pastries, we asked him to join us. We had a long conversation and learnt a huge amount about the Moroccan way of life etc.

We booked one of the suites which was both spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was huge. The only one thing I would say is that if you like to shower then have one of the smaller rooms not a suite. They have the best showers ever but the suites have a huge bath with a hand held shower.

Khalid arranged for me to have a Hamman and massage. Do it!!! It only lasted an hour but seemed longer, and was woooonnnddderfullllll!!!

The lounge areas, terrace and dining room were charming. The peace and quiet is astonishing after the hustle and bustle outside. The only noise we heard was a cockerel one morning at 5.30. Wifi is also available free.

This is not a 5 star hotel but if you want a friendly, clean, typical Moroccan place to stay then this is a good choice. The only down side is that it is a 10/15 minute walk to the centre. We found it ok as we like to see what local life is like and see the nitty gritty local places.

There are lots of Riads to choose from and this one should be on your list.

We ate at Riad Monceau and Riad Kinza Both expensive but very good. We also ate in the square at le Marrakchi which was very good and more reasonable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed here for four nights on our honeymoon. Before listing my problems with this place, I think it is only fair to say that the suite (which we had at a discounted price) was beautifuly decorated and, if the service in the hotel had not been diabolical, this hotel would have been value for the money we paid (i.e. at the discount). The hotel is located in a nice part of town and easy to find if you ask the shopkeepers on the Rue de la Kasbah. But here are the problems:

1. Paying - on the last night we were informed that we could not pay our bill with credit card. The owner claims that when I made the booking I was told that I had to pay in cash. I have no recolletion of this. When I arrived, a man (who I took to be the boss, but was later informed was not the boss) told me I could pay by cash and so I assumed it was ok. As a result of this, it came as a surprise when I was told that I had to pay in cash. I had to walk around Marrakech at 11pm for half an hour to withdraw the cash from a cash machine and then carry all this cash back to the hotel - not a nice experience in any city. What was particularly galling about the whole business was that no one even offered us an apology for this inconvenience.

2. Service - The key to our door broke on the first day. As such, it was not possible to look the door to the bedroom. The staff failed to fix the lock for the period of our stay. There is a safe in the room, but we couldn't put all our stuff in it. On a different note - on two of the four nights we were there we had to ask for towels in our room as they had forgotten to leave us any.

3. The pool - the pool itself is very pleasant, but you have to be brave to use it! One bedroom looks straight on to it as does the kitchen where the staff are working and chatting. You really feel like you are spoiling the party if you try and take a dip.

4. Breakfast - we stayed in eleven hotels in our time in Morocco. This was the most expensive and had the least inspiring breakfast. There was nothing wrong with what was served (some bread, jam, a crumpet, orange juice, cake(!) and coffee) but at the price we paid, you expect a little bit more.

5. Laundry - the hotel agreed to some washing (no ironing) for us. It was one normal plastic shopping bag. When we came to pay the bill, I was infomed that the wasking cost 40 Euros (which I refused to pay). The receptionist begrudingly agreed to waive this for the inconvenience of me having to troop into town to find a cash point to pay the bill.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We have just returned from our stay. There were six of us in three rooms on the ground floor. It sounds too good to be true but everything was perfect. We were met at the airport at around 10.30 pm, made very welcome at the riad and served a cold beer. The whole building has been very carefully renovated with a great deal of attention to detail. It is around a 15 minute walk to the main square and to come back to the peace and comfort of the little courtyard is wonderful. Make sure you have a meal at the riad - the lamb tagine with apricots or prunes is delicious.
I have been to several hotels recommended by trip advisor and this is the first time I have felt I had to write a review!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Beautiful riad. Quiet and peaceful to return to after visiting medina.
Helpful, friendly staff
Lovely rooms and areas to relax in evenings

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

We reserved a room for 2 nights and when we arrived there were no available rooms. We showed a copy of our email confirming our reservation. They responded that we had not provided credit card information. All our communication was directly with the riad via email and when we returned home we found the required credit card information had indeed been sent and was in my sent folder to which they had replied with an email of confirmed reservation which was the only proof we had with us. So, beware this riad which is either guilty of sloppy reservation procedures or overbooking!

• Stayed December 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

Before leaving for Marrakech I read all reviews at this site; I was aware that the Riad was a little difficult to find unless one is taken there by a driver who knows where it is - all you need to do is ask the management to send their driver to the airport to pick you up - and you will find it! - I felt a little uneasy as we were going to arrive at 11 pm but the drive to the riad was as smooth as can be, with a most charming driver sent by the management - and the stay at the riad could not have been better. Hamid gave us the best history lesson ever, the food at the riad is wonderful, everything is safe, relaxed, professional, no surprises (except for very good ones) and our stay could not have been more delightful. 5 stars to all their staff. 5 stars to value for your money. What a wonderful, great place. Would we go back? -- you bet!!

Irene Davy Ph.D.,
Till Davy MD, Toronto

• Liked — the amazing staff; the excellent food, the lovely accommodations
  • Disliked — nothing at all - we were pleased with everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Riad el Noujoum? Share your experiences!