“Unique personal service & an oasis of calm” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Dar One
19 derb Jemaa el Kabir | Hay Salam, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #17 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Perth, Australia
“Unique personal service & an oasis of calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

As per other reviews - Jean and his team were incredible in every way. Friendly and consummately professional - they made our stay in the height of Marrakech's summer as pleasurable as it could be.

Situated right next to he Palais Bahia, Dar One oozes style and luxury. We stayed in the Mirage room and were blown away by the chic modern decor. Jean certainly has an eye for detail with rows of French Art coffee table books scattered along the bookshelf of our room as well as a large vase of fresh roses.

Every morning, we were served breakfast anywhere we wanted in the Riad. This consisted of some toasted crusty bread and a daily specialty ie. Moroccan crepes etc.

Jean was present every day and was supremely helpful - organising us a spa session at Les Bains de Marrakech, a dinner reservation at Dar Yacout and an amazing cooking lesson/market tour with a local Berber woman who took us to her village (a lot less touristy than some of the other operators).

When my fiance was struck down with some Moroccan belly, Abdul even offered to brew us some Tissane tea at breakfast. He even organised some alterations for my fiance and paid for this upfront with his own money.

Jean's dogs which visited and lazed around the Riad were absolutely adorable and so well-behaved! Free Wi-Fi everywhere was also a bonus.

We had an incredible time at Dar One and are already planning our next trip back.

Don't look anywhere else in Marrakech.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

we stayed at Riad dar one at the start of August and it is a truly fantastic riad to stay in. everything about it is perfect. the staff were wonderful, always available to help with anything and you felt you could really relax and make this place your home whilst you stayed in the medina. if you are looking for a really stylish retreat but with a warm service then this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at Riad Dar One for 5 days at the end of July. We chose this Riad after reading many of the reviews posted here - and we were not disappointed. Dar One is situated in the southern Medina, close enough to immerse yourself in the bustle of Marrakech (within literally a few minutes walk of Jemaa El Fna) but just far enough out to feel like you are in a little oasis of calm. Its incredibly easy to find - 3 right turns from outside the Bahia Palace - which was very handy when there was a power cut in that part of town and we had to walk back in the dark! The area felt very safe though - with some kids even lighting the way for us with torches (and the Riad has its own locked and manned gate at the end of the alley.)

The owner, Jean, was a perfect host. We were welcomed and made to feel at home. Jean, and all his staff were helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The Riad was absolutely lovely - stylish and tasteful - The only problem is that it is so nice we want to come back and experience relaxing in front of the fire in the sitting room during the colder months. Our room (sirocco) was on the roof and opened straight out onto the roof terrace. We didnt see inside any other rooms so can't comment on them BUT ours was perfect and a welcome escape from the heat of the day (temps of 47 degrees while we were there). Our room has its own private terrace which we found got the sun all morning and provided a fantastic view over the rooftops (The spiral staircase up to it isn't for the faint hearted though).

If you can, get the staff to arrange a day trip up to the Ourika Valley with Houssaine as your guide. He took us through a Berber market and for lunch in a traditional Berber household. He was friendly, chatty and very knowledgeable and gave us a great insight into Berber culture.

Watch out though: the Henna hand painters in the square can be very quick to start applying the henna without your consent and then demanding a ridiculously large sum of money! And: getting "guided" to the tanneries just to take a look and then having the whole tour and shopping experience thrust on you (Mind you - its this sort of experience that makes travelling so much fun and provide so many memories). And finally: Change your Dirhams back into sterling or Euros BEFORE you go through passport control as there are no Bureau de Change once you go through and Dirhams cannot be used in the duty free shops only the snack bars. (Talking of money, the ATM's and some payment machines would not accept my bank card. Apparently this is a common problem with British bank cards. So dont rely on this as your only source of money).

So........overall, a fab Riad with wonderful staff and a magical experience wandering around Marrakech. When we go back to Marrakech, we will definately stay here (or maybe Jean's soon to be opened 'new' Riad). Thanks to Jean and all Riad Dar One staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I have travelled around the world and stayed in some amazing places. This riad is one of the best. Jean (the owner) has ensured that every single thing possible is done, he is a perfect host who provides fantastic advice of various food places, excursions and is thoroughly accomodating. The staff he has employed follows his high standard and are so hospitable. He has designed a beautiful riad which seems to reveal something new each time your gaze wonders, a pleasure much enjoyed.

We were only able to stay for one night (out of our 7 night stay) as he was fully booked. My recommendation would be this: BOOK YOUR FLIGHT AROUND HIS AVAILABILITY!!!

Thank you so much for such a brilliant experience, we WILL be back!!!!!!

Angela and Nelson

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed at Riad dar One as the first part of our honeymoon. Arriving in Marrakech itself was somewhat daunting because of the manic mopeds, donkeys, people...but stepping into the coutryard at Riad dar One was like something out of a dream. We arrived in the evening so all the candles were lit, the fountain was trickling away and we were greeted by the Riad's two dogs and the most amzaing smell of Moroccan food.

There is absolutely nothing we could fault about our stay at the Riad. The service is simply fantastic, there is nothing they will not do for you. They arranged a tour into the Atlas mountains, and if you have the chance to do the same, only do it with the Riad guide! We had their guide take us up into the mountains and then he took us for lunch with a Berber family! Was a once in a lifetime experience for us.

The food is delicious as well. We went to a number of the 'top' places to eat in Marrakech including Maison Arabe, and whilst their food was very tasty the cooking at the Riad was sublime! So many courses, so many different flavours, we would choose eating at the Riad over any other restaurant in Marrakech.

Perfect location as well as you can easily walk to the main square and the Souks, but you can also escape them which was very nice as it can be a bit manic!!

We have already recommended the Riad to everyone we know. We will definitely go back at some point too. It made our honeymoon into a luxury, romantic escape.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

This review is long overdue but I often think wistfully of my stay there. I stayed last August, and Riad Dar One made my trip to Marrakesh so memorable. They arranged a pick up at the airport and as a solo female traveller having arrived from Australia I was a bit overwhelmed with everything! I would never have found the riad by myself so was so glad I requested a pick up.
When I checked in and was being shown around I caught a glimpse of my face in a mirror and I was smiling like an idiot because it was all so beautiful!
When I was in Marrakesh it was ridiculously hot and ramadan had just started. Each afternoon i returned to the riad and immediately felt calm and refreshed. It was like an Oasis.
Friends had told me about how great Morroccan breakfast swere and I felt the breakfast was pretty basic but then I loved just sitting in the open air courtyard sipping my coffee before bracing myself against the heat and dust of the medina.
I highly recomend it but I do recomend getting a pick up as you will struggle to find it the first time (perhaps this is common in Marrakesh with all the lanes).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Greenock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Dar One in May of this year and found the customer service extraordinary. Jean Peres and his small team just made everything so perfect and his recommendations were perfectly balanced in terms of service, price and quality.
But I need to share this wonderful story with you. When I returned from Marrakesh the dreaded Visa account was received. I read through the account and discovered a restaurant I had dined in within the Medina (not a direct recommendation from Jean Peres) had charged me 9,999 dirham for a meal, yes £775 for two! The bill, of course, should have been £75!
I immediately telephoned my credit card provider to find out what I could do. "Did I have the receipt?" Well of course I had every receipt except that one so there was nothing they could do. As you can imagine I was really upset. I thought I would e-mail Jean to get some advice which I did. Ping! the e-mail came back immediately "Do not worry, I am in France today but return to Marrakesh tomorrow and I will visit the restaurant to sort it out.
After many, and I mean many, exchanges of e-mail with Jean, broken promises from the restaurant, several visits and threats by Jean to the restaurant owner, I have been promised a refund. I now have an admission from the restaurant by e-mail that it was a mistake,courtesy of Jean Peres' intervention and the credit card company can now follow the dispute process. I have written an article in my staff magazine to showcase Jean's excellent customer service and to warn them of the dangers of using a credit card abroad. As you can guess I have recommended Riad Dar One to one and all.
How many people would take that problem on and proactively e-mail someone to ensure things were resolved.
Jean Peres, I salute you!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Dar One? Share your experiences!