“Like a fairy-tale - fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Dar One
19 derb Jemaa el Kabir | Hay Salam, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #37 of 471 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester
“Like a fairy-tale - fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

An excellent place to stay. This was our first trip to Marrakesh and Riad Dar One made the perfect base for exploring the old-town (~10 minutes walk away) and a beautiful oasis of calm for recovering from the bargaining-frenzy of the souk. Jon (the owner) and the staff could not have been more helpful, the rooms were spacious and cool and at night the Riad was lit with candles and laterns like something out of arabian nights. More practically, the wine and beers were reasonably priced and breakfast was fanastic. Overall I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
Lpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

Just returned from 4 nights at the excellent Riad Dar One. I booked the Riad Dar One after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and I have to say I was not disappointed. Jean and his excellent staff looked after our every need and I only wish he ran similar establishments in other cities. The Riad is in an excellent location, just a stroll to the main square, souks etc. Marrakech itself is amazing, and ideal for a short break, just make sure you have booked the Riad Dar One to stay at and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I seldom have occasion to write a review this favorable but our experience was so surprisingly enjoyable, I feel compelled to share it with everyone. As for the hotel amenities, Riad Dar One is truly lovely and it’s décor exquisite. The beautifully decorated rooms were so lovely one hesitated to set down their luggage and spoil its perfect serenity and balance. However, it was the owner Jean Perez and his wonderfully attentive staff that really stood out for a one of a kind experience. As can happen occasionally I had the misfortune to experience some symptoms of what could have been a heart problem and was feeling a fair amount of concern about being so far away from home and doctors familiar with my health issues. Immediately upon hearing about how I was feeling, Jean brought around his own personal vehicle and drove my wife and I to a clinic across town while he called a personal friend who was a cardiac specialist and asked him to be there. As it turned out, tests and the doctors examination showed everything was fine and I had the reassurance of knowing I could safely continue enjoying the wonderful experience of being in Marrakesh. I can honestly say I would enthusiastically recommend Riad Dar One to all my friends without any reservations whatsoever. It was for my wife and I such a beautifully peaceful and tranquil place to come back to in the middle of an exciting and vibrant city!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

We had a lovely, lovely time at this Riad and we have recommended it to friends. The staff is wonderful (thank you for some great suggestions for dinner), our room was fantastic (we loved the bathroom), the breakfast on the roof was lovely, we thoroughly enjoyed having shisha and sun tanning on the roof as well. The atmosphere is spectacular (love all the candles).

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed with a large group of friends for 2 nights in October and wish we had been able to stay longer! The Riad was stunning with each room as good as the next. The terrace area was also fantastic with plenty of room for everyone. Staff could not have been more helpful and Jean (the owner) gave us great ideas of what to see and how to get there. He also gave us some great recommendations on where to eat to suit budgets. We could walk everyone from where we were located which meant we didn't have to tackle the taxis!

We absolutely loved it and spent the whole time commenting on how lovely it was - would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

My friends and I have just come back from a short break to Morocco and while we were in Marrakech we stayed at this riad. The riad itself is stunning. The courtyard or reception area has a beautiful plunge pool filled with rose petals and living room area is also nicely decorated. The rooms are indivdually decorated but each room is impressive and spacious. Our room (Dune) also had a huge stone bath. We ate breakfast at the riad which was delicious and during the day we were provided with drinks and snacks. The staff went out of their way to make our stay both comfortable and enjoyable. After leaving Marrakech we went to Casablanca where the accomodation we stayed in was not comparable. I will would definitely like to go back to Marrakech and would stay at this riad again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
France & Suisse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

Travelers in search of unusual as well as authenticity and comfort can only be thrilled by a stay at the Riad Dar One. Located in the Mellah, the old Jewish quarter, this haven of peace is an exquisite place to escape the tumult of Marrakech, as well as the tumult of your own life…

I have spent 5 nights there, with my 7 years old daughter, during Easter 2009, and have had the most “healing” holidays in a long time. I slept like a baby, ate sumptuous dishes, felt as if the time was running slowly, unhurriedly…

Everything and everyone here is contributing to make your stay just unforgettable. Jean Perez, the owner, is a wonderful guest who will make sure you feel at home. After a quick tour of the Riad, he will introduce you to the wonders of Marrakech, provide you with interesting tips and addresses, organize all sorts of exciting excursions for you, try to make any of your wishes come true.

He is seconded by a fantastic staff: Hicham, Abdel, Asma and Amina the cooker are so warm, gentle, attentive, thoughtful. They are paying a constant attention to your well being and happiness. My daughter just felt like a little princess; she enjoyed everyone's kindness and smiles. For her, leaving the Riad to go back home was just heartbreaking. She will never forget the delightful moments she had here as well as the people she met: the sumptuous breakfast on the roof terrace, bathing in the middle of fresh roses in the courtyard’s pool, candle light dinners, Hicham and Abdel ‘s charming attentions…

The riad is sumptuous, a mix of modern design and Moroccan style. The building is a traditional Moroccan house organized around a central open-air courtyard with a fountain. The courtyard is a cool place to relax, have dinner or even a refreshing bath. The ground floor has also a lounge with a fireplace to warm up the winter’s guests. All of the rooms open into the central atrium space. The room we had (named Mirage) was absolutely delightful. We enjoyed its refinement and cleanliness, the king size bath, the fresh flowers, and surely the best bed I ever slept in!… The terrace is very comfortable, furnished with beds, where you can laze and a tent providing a refreshing shadow during hot days. At night you will also enjoy listening to the hum of the city and the sounds of the Gnaoua music coming afar from the Djemma el Fna place.

I can only highly recommend the Riad Dar One to anyone looking for an unforgettable time in Marrakech.

(More photos: http://www.lomography.com/magazine/locations/2009/08/29/riad-dar-one-marrakech)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Riad Dar One? Share your experiences!