“A Great Escape” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Toronto
“A Great Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Jean Peres welcomed us like family & that atmosphere continued throughout our stay. We rented the Sirocco suite which sits alone on the 3rd floor adjacent to the public terrace. It has a private terrace above, accessed via a circular metal stairwell. Very comfortable & quiet. One caveat: This means 3 flights of stairs . . .

As others have mentioned, do not try to find the riad the 1st time on your own & let a staff member guide you, but once you see the route – through some narrow alleys – it is easy & you will always be warmly greeted at the gated entrance. It is about a 15 minute walk to Jemaa el Fna.

The staff literally went above & beyond to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. My wife had a cellphone issue which they really, really tried to help us with. Kudos to all!

The breakfast was standard Moroccan fare but fresh & good.

Jean also owns Dar White & has opened up his horse farm (with pool) for daily excursions. We did not go but I am sure that he maintains the same attention to detail there as well.

Highly recommended if you are looking for a calm boutique hotel experience in the madness of Marrakech.

Room Tip: The Sirocco Suite is very quiet on the 3rd floor.

656 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We chose to stay at Dar One for our first trip to Marrakech and we were very impressed. It is very well hidden away and we needed help to find the hotel to begin with. I would definitely make sure you arrange for a transfer from the airport or for someone to meet you from the hotel to show you the way when you arrive. Once there you feel so far away from the noises and busy surroundings of Marrakech and feel like you are entering a retreat. It really feels like a special place to stay. The room was very traditional and clean and the roof terrace was beautiful with places to take breakfast (which was delicious). The staff were very helpful and friendly and I would highly recommend a stay here - we are hoping to revisit soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in Dar One in mid-January 2013. All of the staff here are friendly, welcoming and informative. I felt like nothing was too much trouble for them and we were greeted on arrival with mint tea and a detailed introduction to Marrakech. We stayed in the Petit Prince room, which like the rest of the riad is beautifully decorated. The shower is fantastic!
It's a tranquil haven in a bustling (and sometimes intimidating!) city and it will be difficult to find another place to stay in that was as nice as this. If I'm ever in Marrakech again I'll definitely be coming back here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We just spent a week at the Dar One and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's a boutique high-end hotel with no more than six or seven rooms. It's conveniently located by the Bahia Palace and about 20 minutes from the big square.
Access is through some narrow alleys in the Jewish Quarter, and like many impressive properties in Marrakech, it has a modest entrance that conceals the beauty inside. We were always offered complimentary, delicious mint tea when we arrived after a day of sightseeing.
Jean, the owner, and his staff were always eager to please and very helpful with directions and recommendations. It is well worth it to ask them to arrange transportation to and from the airport.
Our room was large and spotlessly clean. And importantly in Marrakech, the air conditioning was great.
I'm trying to balance my review with something critical and all I can come with is to note that there are plenty of budget hotels in Marrakech and this wasn't one of them. However, we thought it was well worth the price to have this refuge amid the dusty chaos of the medina.

Room Tip: The Sirocco Room where we stayed had direct access to the elegant rooftop terrace.
dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a beautiful old riad, styled with in a Moroccan-modern fusion. As a riad it is classically tucked away in an alley way and has the middle open air design with the rooms around the sides. The only reason I can think if everyone may not love to stay here as much as I did, is if they want more of the typical commercial hotel or if they are early to bed and late to rise types that need absolute quiet. By Marrakech standards, I even went to bed early and had no troubles sleeping.

Booking - contact Jean direct as he can probably provide a better rate than going through the 3rd party websites.

Support - seriously, this team will do ANYTHING for you. I had a traveling misadventure and Jean and his staff (especially Khaled) helped me every step of the way. They had someone pick me up from the train station (if taking the train, make sure 1. you get a first class ticket so you dont end up standing for the 3 hour journey in between train cars, packed with hundreds of people and suitcases!) 2. You dont take the last train leaving for the Moroccan school holidays. By the way, even though this ride was a bit uncomfortable, Moroccan people are very friendly and helpful, it was still very safe.

The Riad Dar One staff (for me Khaled), will meet you on arrival (do organize this as its a bit of a labyrinth to find the riad for the first time). He made restaurant recommendations, bookings, suggested sightseeing, provided an excellent map of the city with must sees, tourist attractions, entertainment,art & design, shopping, beauty, etc suggestions. He booked me into a great experience at a near by hammam, helped me organize my flight back and transport to the airport, charging phones - nothing seemed to small or big an ask. Great customer service. Thank you Khaled!

The room is your own private recluse with a very comfortable, luxurious bed and high quality linens. I slept like a rock. My room had a giant bathtub. I had the Oasis Room on the ground floor.

There are nice common areas in the riad, in the living room, library, roof top, etc if you need a reprieve from the bustling city.

The breakfast, which was included, was great - croissants, Moroccan breads and pancakes, something sweet (pain au chocolate, etc) preserves, butter, honey, la vache qui rit type cheese, coffee or tea (have the Moroccan tea!) and fresh squeezed orange juice! Great fuel to hit the city with.

I strongly recommend this boutique, high quality riad to you. They will take care of you like you are their own. I will/would definitely stay here again.

You can walk from here to the big square (Jemma el Fna Square), the Souks, the beautiful Bahia Palace is very near, lots of nice places to eat, you can walk to the Kasbah area and the best Hammams (Les Bains de Marrakech & Les Bans de l'Alhambra), El Badi Palace. Taxi's in and around the main city are 30 MAD (about 3 USD) when you go to places like the Majorelle Garden (amazing!).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The riad is decorated to a high standard and very tasteful. It is in a good location. We were lucky to have the roof top room and private terrace which had stunning views, the downside of this room is that if you have sociable guests who want a late night drink on the gorgeous terrace then it is noisy.
The owner was very helpful and suggested places of interest to eat and provided a very useful map,
One member of staff was disappointing in their standard of service. This is a stunning riad in terms of décor but personally for us it lacked the warmth and traditional décor of a riad we had stayed in for the previous two nights.

Room Tip: Roof terrace can be noisy but stunning views
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Jean and his team really make this place, I had an email a week in advance of my arrival asking whether I'd like an airport transfer then they offered to meet me at the Bahia Palace when I explained I'd be coming from somewhere else in Marrakech.

I ended up turning up with 7 friends who planned to leave their bags in my room while exploring the souks before leaving for a variety of other locations that evening. This was all handled very well by the staff and they showed us to the Riad.

As others suggest I would have never found it without the initial guide, once you've been shown once it's fine. It's in a great location right next to the lovely Bahia Palace, a minute to the shops and 5/10 to the main square.

Once in Riad Dar One you can't help but notice the serene environment, no noise apart from water trickling over the water feature, a beautiful smell and calm muted colours.

I was in the Saint Exupery room, which was lovely.

I was there for 2 nights and really didn't want to leave. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff. They were happy to show you their reccomended local shops and provide guidance on what a fair price was. Book restaurants, help get taxis, extra sheets etc etc.

Perfect roof terrace with a nice balance of sun and shade.

I can't wait to go back...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Riad Dar One? Share your experiences!