“Riad Dar One” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Riad Dar One”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have just returned from a trip to Marrakesh. Another place ticked off my bucket list. Marrakesh attacks your senses on every level. The heat, the smells, both good and bad, the noise, the traffic, the people and the sheer volume of goods on sale at any one time. It’s crazy! To get the best of Marrakesh, you have to stay in the Medina. It's amasing
As you step through the archway into the first alley, leading to Riad Dar One, the temperature drops by a few degrees. Walking up to the entrance of the Riad the air is pervaded by the beautiful fragrance of cactus flower oil. The Riad Dar One, is a haven in the middle of all this craziness. The decor is a fusion of Moroccan and European and it is quietly elegant. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The Riad is and intimate.
The staff are friendly, helpful and attentive without being intrusive.The splash pool in the centre courtyard is refreshing after a long day in the souks, as well as a good place to meet and chat with other guests.
My son and I also did the cookery course offered by Dar One, which just gives you a touch of Moroccan cooking. Raja the chef, will take you to the spice and fresh produce market to purchase the ingredients and then to a house about 6km out of town to cook. Great fun!
I would highly recommend staying at Dar One in Marrakesh.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Morocco. Our first destination was Marrakesh. We stayed at Dar One: it was fantastic! From our rooftop room, the excellent food, to the friendly, first-class staff, it was one of the highlights of our trip. We'd highly recommend it to anyone interested.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful 3-day stay at Dar One for my 50th birthday in March. Booked because of the excellent reviews and we were not disappointed. Everything written about Riad Dar One is true. From the smiling welcome at the airport, to the warm welcome from Jean Peres (who never tired of my emails) and the fond farewell that made us feel like we were leaving home. Riad Dar One is ideally positioned in the Jewish Quarter near the Bahia Palace and within walking distance of the Medina and the Souks in all their glory. Turning into the narrow walled alleyway off the main street, the smell of Cactus Oil, Fig Oil, Green Tea Oil that was Dar One, greeted us at the gated entrance and guided us back to the tranquillity of 'home'. Breakfast on the roof terrace was wonderful as was the cosy Dune bedroom with it's massive stone bath. Marrakech is marvellous, Dar One was THE ONE for me!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

What can I say but simply beautiful, I get the luck to stay in some awesome hotels. This has just won my vote for top hotel I have ever stayed in. The team of staff are brilliant, the service is superlative. they are not in your face and stuffy, they appear and disappear, the smiles remain all the time and its genuine too. Most high end properties don’t make your stay personal. I felt like this was a place I had been too 50 times before and that I would be welcomed back again and again.

Well done to Jean and his team

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

It was a disappointing stay at Riad dar One... It start with them forgetting to pick us up at the airport, we waited for 2 hours before someone showed up. Once we got to the riad we worked out that we had taken someone elses transfer by mistake and the had forgotten to book a driver for us, OK things happen and we made it so were not too upset at this point. One of the staff sincerely apologized and admitted that messed up, they had our flight details, he showed me on the computer. The next day the owner told my husband that he had sent me 2-3 emails asking for my flight details as they had lost them but I never replied... this is after the staff member admitted that the forgot to book the driver and showed me that they had my exact flight details.. I can handle mistakes, things happen but I was extremely mad when the owner lied to us.. The riad was lovey and the staff were great but it was hard to go past the fact the the owner was not so honest. With so many wonderful riads in Marrakech unfortunately i will not be returning to Riad Dar One.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
RIADDARONE, Propriétaire at Riad Dar One, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Being the owner and manager of Dar One I'll do my best in the future not to appear as a lier and such a bad person...
In fact those guests spend some days in our riad never complained... They only wrote this comment back home and we all feel sorry their stay has been so "wasted" by what happened at their arrival and for what they didn't say a word during the days spend at Dar One.
First of all they never waited 2 hours at the airport but only 30 mn. The airport is at 4 km from the riad and our driver reach the airport in less than half an hour.
However if we really had a misunderstanding about the flight details those guests well arrived to the riad and to be forgiven we offered this service bith ways and a bottle of wine. They just forgot to remind it.
By chance we had hundred commentsfor the last 6 years confirming how seriously our staff and I do our best to manage our riad.
Those comments are the best proof of the quality of the services and housing at Dar One.
Thanks again to all our guests.
Alvor, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

My wife & I spent 4 magical days here.
We were blessed in being able to try two different rooms (Oasis & Sirocco)... and what a great experience that was! Both rooms absolutely fabulous... so it is quite simple actually...
We fell in love with the place from the minute we stepped inside & will not hesitate to revisit this very tasteful Riad.

Abdel... Shukran for everything!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

If you want to enjoy the atmosphere of Marrakech you have to go there.

Perfect staff, very quiet hotel but placed in a very central location. The roof terrace is very nice The host and the staff are one of the best we have seen in any hotel we have stayed in. Good Breakfast.

The swimming pool is perfect!! We enjoyed it.

We will definitly come back one day. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Room Tip: The terrace of the room Sirocco!!! It's amazing!!!