“Just a little bit disappointing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Fakir

Save Saved
You added Dar Fakir to your Saves list
Dar Fakir
16 Derb Abou El Fadail, Kennaria | Kennaria Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #166 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Dalry, United Kingdom
“Just a little bit disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was my second trip to Marrakech and my second experience of a riad. The location of the Dar Fakir is excellent, just a few minutes walk to the main square, but beware the menace of 40 mile per hour scooters through very narrow bustling streets and alleyways! There was no welcome when we arrived, and the non English speaking kitchen staff took some time to answer the door. They provided us with mint tea while we waited and eventually took us to our room. About an hour later Kerstin arrived to greet us. She was extremely welcoming and helpful, providing us with a map and suggested activites and restaurants and was available in the riad at some point every day. We stayed in the Zouhoure 'suite' which I would not stay in again. The door between the bedroom and bathroom was a bizarre saloon style half swinging door, affording no privacy whatsoever. There was no storage space for suitcases and the lighting was totally inadequate. I reported the main light and one lamp not working (no bulb!) but no action was taken so eventually I had to take a bulb from a lamp in another room myself! The bed, however, was huge and extremely comfortable and we both slept soundly every night. The room also had great air conditioning, a blessing after the unseasonal 41 degree heat outside. Our room seemed to be mid range in the riad, with some being much smaller, especially the bathrooms, and a couple being very large and spacious. We had dinner on our first night which was of very poor quality and most definitely not worth 30 euros each. Breakfast, however, was lovely and served beautifully on the terrace by the night duty staff. Airport transfers also went smoothly. All in all, I would stay at Dar Fakir again, but would definitely choose a larger room and decline dinner!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the larger suites and only in the Zouhoure room if you are with a very good friend, d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
london, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

First the Very Good: this is my third trip to Marrakech and Dar Fakir is a true oasis from the sensory overload of the main square and the souks.

The Iswane Suite was spacious with a sofa so there was somewhere other than on the bed to sit. The bed was enormous with room to get in and out on both sides, which is not always the case in some raids. The mattress gets top marks for comfort. The bath room was the largest in the riad. The toilet got temperamental while we were there, but this has been reported so I would hope the issue is resolved quickly. The room was also air conditioned, which given the unseasonably high temperature (102 degrees!), made the difference between comfortable and meltdown. However, the volume did run a range from reasonably quiet to small airplane taking off, a situation that was reported to the Director so hopefully rectified, but I would check or be sure to take ear plugs.

Some of the smaller rooms that we were able to view did have very small bathrooms and were dimly lit, but that is reflected in the price.

The staff are lovely and made huge efforts to meet every need. Until 2 pm, when Hannah arrives ( whose English is a bit better), there are no English speaking staff on site. We got by with games of international charades and "pictionary" ( try drawing the transfer request for the baggage handler and taxi to the airport). Good fun, but not sure it would be quite so much fun if there was any real problem that a guest needed to have addressed or resolved. They are able to contact the Director, so I assume that would be the fall back position.

We ate dinner at the Riad on our second night. It was £30 per person and we both felt it was well worth the price. The beef and chicken tagines were perfectly cooked and beautifully aromatic. After two days of the full on frenzy, heat and sensory overload that is Marrakech, we found the peace and quiet of dinner in just the restful and relaxing break we needed.

So why not an Excellent rating? We were met at the airport as arranged, but had to wait at the Riad for over an hours and a half for the Director to arrive. Having been up since 0400, we were tired and just wanted to get settled. I do understand that the driver failed to contact her that we were on our way, but I feel she could equally have checked with him or used the Internet to see that our plane had landed. Alternatively, a procedure established at the Riad to contact her when guests arrive might be a good idea.

More importantly, the Riad is supposed to have a member of staff on site during the night, but on our last night, two young women returned at 0020 to find themselves locked out. Luckily, I heard their frantic knocking and was able to let them in. When I reported this to the Director, she stated that the night duty member of staff had been called to an emergency just over the road and had only been absent for a very brief time. Unfortunately, too long a time for me or the young women who were locked out! I suggested that in the future she should have an emergency plan that does not leave guests locked out in the street. If I was going to be out late, I would definitely want to be issued with a key. Needless to say, I didn't have the best nights sleep.

Given, the toilets, noisy air conditioner and the night access issues are resolved, I can highly recommend Dar Fakir and would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Can highly recommend the Iswane Suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I spent three nights with my girlfriend, it was on February for a long week-end. I picked the place randomly but I was nicely surprised.

I would recommend to whoever is seeking something very romantic yet not extremely pretentious.

BW

Marco

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I chose to spend my birthday in Marrakesh, which turned out to be one of the best holidays of my life so far. which is quite a statement as i have traveled extensive. I strongly feel this is owed to the experience we had at Dar fakir. The surroundings are simply beautiful - a luxury oasis in the heart of the Medina. Sumptuous furnishings, lush greenery and attention to detail all added to a real 5 star experience, which let me say is at a very reasonable price compared to other establishments of equal measure. Breakfast is not to be missed, (although this would be hard as they accommodate you any time!) I have never had such a feast, with local dishes which makes it really special. We had dinner on our first night there at the Riad too and it was delicious - highly recommended! For us though the service was simply the best i have ever experienced. Upon arrival Kristen and Kate greeted us with mint tea and an abundance of local knowledge which led to feeling like we had a secret map of the city, with the best restaurants, bars and sights all laid out for us. This made our trip what it was, amazing, and its this insider knowledge that is truly unbeatable! The whole staff were happy and helpful, but we would like to give a special mention to Kate who was on hand to help us with everything we could possibly need and her service and warmth made us feel so at home. We will be coming back next year and im bringing the whole family!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed here in March 2013 with my husband and our two friends. The Riad is beautiful and the staff very courteous and helpful. Oliver made us laugh and was always there if we needed him. We stayed in the Ghalia room which is small but adequate although the shower room is tiny and the shower sprayed everywhere (only the suites have a bath). There is a large window into the Riad, above the door, which let in a lot of light early in the morning. The lighting is very dim in the rooms and no good to read by or if you want to use the mirror. There is no plunge pool. It is more like a large decorative pool. Breakfast was very good and plentiful and available till 12 noon. Location is brilliant being easy to find and only 5 minutes from the main square (Jemaa-el-Fna) There is no bar as such but drinks are available on request. The A/C in the room cannot be controlled within the room. For dinner, go to Le Grand Cafe de la Poste, then try the cocktails on the top floor or for lunch, go to Kosybar just off Jemaa-el-Fna square.

Room Tip: If you need a large wash room, it is worth paying more for a suite. The shower in Ghalia room sprays...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BRISTOL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were guests at a house party in January and thought the Riad a tranquil oasis ideally located for the medina. Kirsten the manageress was polite and helpful but you didn't get a sense of warmth or any real desire to make the stay a treasure. She was late twice, incl. check-out which caused some consternation given the complexity of a group payment. The house was booked exclusively and as such we were very casual about room security only one night we saw a few people going into our room, we complained at once to be told that it was a mistake but this made us nervous. The food served in the Riad was good and the service attentive but a little slow, but maybe that's the Moroccan way.

Room Tip: Go for a big suite as you'll need the space
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
DarFakir1, General Manager at Dar Fakir, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and apologies if you felt that there wasn't the desire to make you feel comfortable. Actually it is the contrary but sometimes it is hard to spend equally much time with every guest that arrives as part of a larger group. It only goes to show how different people's feelings and opinions within one and the same group can be having received this email from another guest within the same group:

"I am writing to send our sincere gratitude for your wonderful hospitality at Dar Fakir. Not only is the Riad simply gorgeous and everything we had hoped for, but the staff were friendly and so eager to please.

I had a 40th to remember and everyone in our group went away loving their weekend and are still raving about it now.

I have to thank you for your patience in allowing me to indulge in many email communications with you over a length of time! You always came back to me in a speedy manner with answers to my questions and I appreciate that. It made the weekend go much smoother with you at the helm !

Thank-you for arranging all the special touches, the Riad looked absolutely stunning on the night we had cocktails and dinner. It was exactly how I would of wanted it to be, so thank you :)"
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Conviently located 5 minutes walk from the main square, this Riad boasts very nice and clean rooms with good amenities and a very friendly, polite and knowledgable staff. Kirsten the manager was very helpful and had good local knowledge. I was surprised to read negative reviews as none of them rang true, until I realized this was under the previous management.

Our room was very atmospheric and spacious, and overall had good facilities. The food was very tasty and the service very friendly.

If you're looking for an hotel, a Riad may not be for you as there's a 'guest house' feel to them but if you're looking for the personal touch and a 'home away from home' feel then this Riad is the one for you.

Overall very pleased with our few days here, and would reccomend to anyone looking for the authentic Marrakech experience.

• Stayed February 2013
DarFakir1, General Manager at Dar Fakir, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you very much for the positive feedback. It's always nice to see when guests are enjoying their time in Marrakech and Morocco as you and your partner were doing. The internet has in the meantime been fixed and the builders down the road will hopefully not be so quick to cut through a telecom cable by mistake in the future. Prior to noticing where the error came from it was definitely a first for us to have a guest with IT skills offering to solve our problem. Thank you for trying.

Been to Dar Fakir? Share your experiences!