“If I could give Dar Fakir 6 stars I would!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Fakir

Save Saved
You added Dar Fakir to your Saves list
Dar Fakir
16 Derb Abou El Fadail, Kennaria | Kennaria Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #154 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“If I could give Dar Fakir 6 stars I would!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Collected at the airport by a friendly driver, guided through the souks by a helpful young chaperon, welcomed by the Moroccan family living opposite, greeted warmly by the French speaking night guards. Our arrival in Marrakech could not have been smoother - all thanks to Dar Fakir.

The first thing that hit me about Dar Fakir, besides the impeccable range of services they were able to pull together and it's location close to La Place, was the sweet smell of the incense, followed by the friendly nature of all the people who greeted us. We were told to abandon our cases, and invited to sit in the lounge and sip the most delicious drink (which I now know to be sweet mint tea) to relax before being shown to our room.

The decor of Dar Fakir is so up my street - whitewashed luxury. Words cannot do the beauty of the place justice. It is exactly as it appears on the website - maybe a bit better in the flesh!

We instantly fell in love with our room and knew that it would be heart break when it came to leaving in a few nights time. The property has a chic but peaceful feel about it and to be honest we couldn't resist jumping into our robes and hitting the sheets so we would be fresh in the morning.

I woke up confused as to where I was - I haven't slept so deeply for a long time! The glimmer of sunshine through the bottom of the door was the first thing I saw. We were served a beautiful selection of Moroccan breads and cakes for breakfast - lots of sugar so we had energy for the day ahead. The female night guard ( I feel terrible I've forgotten her name) was interested in our plans for the day and kindly booked us into Nikki Beach for mid-day.

Not before we had checked out the views of the Medina from the roof terrace (which are breathtaking) did we venture out into the souks for some morning shopping. We were escorted to the square to our driver and were greeted at the doors of Nikki Beach - here followed 4 hours of pure relaxation, which included the owner of Dar Fakir introducing himself and recommending restaurants for our dinner plans.

On returning to Dar Fakir we were greeted by Kerstin, who I cannot praise highly enough. Kerstin knew who we were, when we had arrived and apologised that she hadn't been there as it had been very late at night. She wanted to help us make the most of our time in Marrakech and so arranged to see us later to go through things. Kerstin made reservations for dinner a cookery class and a hammam, on top of recommending places for lunch and routes to take through the Medina. Additionally, Kerstin made us feel so welcome just by chatting with us about her own experiences of Marrakech - she has so much time for her guests!

I hope I've covered everything I've enjoyed about this lovely riad. I whole-heatedly recommend it and cannot wait to return.

A special mention to the lovely Fatna who taught us how to make gorgeous lemon chicken tagine on my birthday. Shukran!

Room Tip: They're all beautiful, but there's quite a size difference between the rooms and suites.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed with my wife at the dar fakir of October 2012. What makes this riad stand out is the authentic Moroccan decor.The restaurant is fantastic
Waking up in the morning from the birds melody.But the main qualifications of this riad is the Director, Kerstin which is always next to each visitor ready to satisfy any requirement of.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our recent stay at Dar Fakir made our Marrakech trip especially memorable. This quiet, peaceful Riad is the perfect tonic after a long day of exploring the Medina. It’s unpretentious and comfy - yet very refined. You can tell that much care was taken in designing the décor – which is such a big part of the any traveler’s experience. Kerstin was amazing! She was very helpful and gave you her personal insight to navigating the medina. Dar Fakir was the perfect choice. We recommend it highly.

Aix-en-Provence, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I love to stay in Marrakech’s best Riads for a few days. That enables us to truly disconnect with our stressful jobs. This is what you should be looking for when choosing Dar Fakir. It is a very peaceful place, splendidly decorated, comfy and unique. It is like being in a cocoon while only a few meters away from place Jemaa El Fna and the best spots in the city. A unique experience, highly recommended!

Room Tip: the higher the better ;-)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed at the Dar Fakir in September 2012 in the junior sutie for 4 nights for a city break. The location of the riad is PERFECT for getting to all the medina sights, and surprisingly, due to it's central location is not noisy at all! From the pictures we saw we knew it was going to be something special but it surpassed out expectations - the decor is beautiful and classy. The 3 course set meal was sublime and the staff, especially Kirsten and Hassan were all attentive and very helpful! I would have no hesitation to recommend this Riad to all my friends and family!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DarFakir1, General Manager at Dar Fakir, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. You already let us know during your stay how much you enjoyed it but we appreciate that you have taken the time to share the experience and your opinion with other Tripadvisor readers too. You truly settled into Marrakchi life and made the most of your time here. Congratualations again on the good batering.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had only 3 days at Dar Fakir and wish it could have been longer. We took over the riad for my husband's 50th and it was amazing, perfect in every way! Kirsten couldn't have been more helpful and more enthusiastic towards helping me organise the weekend. I asked if she create a treasure hunt for us as my husband and I thought it would be fun for our group of friends to get lost in the souks but with some kind of order. Kirsten did an amazing treasure hunt and my only disappointment was that I asked for it to last only until lunch time but wish it had lasted all day as it was such good fun and we learnt so much about the Moroccan culture too! I would highly recommend the treasure hunt! Kirsten also helped me book our chosen restaurants and hammam and couldn't have done more if she tried. Hasan and the rest of the staff were so kind and patient with us as we constantly demanded more cold beers.

Thank you to all at Dar Fakir in making my husband's 50th a truly memorable and special event!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Having you and your group of friends stay with us and take over the whole riad was a real pleasure. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the treasure hunt as much as we and the locals that took part enjoyed it. We very much believe in supporting the local community and offering visitors a mix between fun and culture. We are very happy to hear that our goal seems to have been achieved and we look forward to welcoming you or friends back in future.
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at Dar Fakir for 3 nights and would definitely stay here again if we come back to Marrakech. I thought the photo's on the website were a true reflection, and it was exactly what I hoped it would be. We had a standard room, Ghalia, which was small but absolutely fine, although the bathroom would have been a struggle for a large person. We ate on the roof terrace one evening and on the ground floor next to the pool another, and the ambiance in the candlelight was delightful and romantic, the food was very good too. We particularly enjoyed breakfasts on the terrace, and the staff were very pleasant and attentive. The riad had a very relaxed atmosphere and was in an excellent location, very close to the main square. Kerstin was very helpful and answered our many questions, and arranged a driver to take us to the Kasbah du Toubkal for lunch in the Atlas mountains which was well worth the journey, and booked a hammam and massage for us at the Mythic Oriental Spa which was absolutely beautiful.
We were very glad we chose this riad and would recommend it to our friends. We enjoyed Marrakech but 3 nights was enough in this crazy city. Be prepared to be very assertive with people on the street.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Fakir? Share your experiences!