Let's start by saying that this is Marrakech. Things aren't always going to go smoothly. But that being the case, what you want is a Riad where the staff can't do enough to help and whose main aim is to make sure you have the best stay you can. This is what you will get here and the riad has been restored with oodles of charm and character. If you want to stay somewhere with no character and where little breakdowns or power short circuits don't happen from time to time then book a big expensive chain and have an unreal experience. Nothing is too much trouble for these guys. They will make you feel at home.
The breakfasts are plentiful and delicious. The main evening meal will feed about 3 people (rather than 1) with serveral courses and is fantastic, meals served wherever you desire. But bear in mind if you do the cookery course you will likely learn how to make what you ate the night before so I suggest you choose to do one or the other to avoid eating the same thing twice.
The double room was small but for one person, just perfect, and I always holiday on the principle that the room is really just somewhere to sleep between explorations. That said, as a single female traveller who will be up and out early exploring, and tucked up in my room safe at night, what is really important to me is internet in the room (which is what this riad advertises) so that I can report back home that I am safe and well, and keep in touch in my own relaxed space. Sadly this is not the case here. My room was on the top floor (also very cold at this time of year, so maybe ask to be lower if you are visiting off-season) and there was no internet there. So I would have to come all the way down to the lounge to use it (once in my pyjamas!) and even then it was intermittent. Given I made my booking choice partly based on knowing there is internet in the rooms, I don't think this riad should be advertising that they have it, as they know they don't. You may be luckier in lower rooms. On the flip side, I felt so at home that I didn't really care about sitting around in my pyjamas (no I'm not a total weirdo) but you really will feel at home here and there are lots of nooks and crannies to hide away in downstairs.
The location is great. Half way between the souks to the east and the bus station to the west (10 mins walk approx, each in a straight line). And Hammam de la Rose right around the corner, which I shall review separately (DO IT!), as well as the bus to Essaouira.
DO get picked up from the airport, as said before re finding this place initially) and DO take a compass (on your phone?) to save you walking miles in the wrong direction when you emerge from the souks with no concept of where you are. Maps won't help, and you'll likely have to pay for directions, which may or may not be correct. Don't expect landmarks or road signs to help you, either.
All in all, a lovely Riad, and an interesting visit to Marrakech, but I can't give 5* due to the misadvertising. If accommodation says internet in the rooms I expect that to mean ALL rooms. Otherwise, I don't think you would be disappointed if you booked here. (NB if anyone makes reference to the call to prayer at 5.30 in the morning, you will hear this EVERYWHERE over town, even with ear plugs in, and it is very atmospheric. Just make the most of the cultural experience if you can).
- Also Known As:
- Riad Les Trois Palmiers Hotel Marrakech
- Riad Les Trois Palmiers Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Riad Trois Palmiers El Bacha est une magnifique demeure du 18e siecle situee dans le quartier des antiquaires de Dar El Bacha. Tres au calme mais seulement a 2 mns des taxis et 10 mns de Jeema El Fna, ce riad vous enchantera avec ses 12 chambres, deux patios, deux piscines, deux terrasses et un point de vue extraordinaire sur la Medina de Marrakech. Les proprietaires sur place mettront tout en oeuvre avec leur equipe pour rendre votre sejour inoubliable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Riad Les Trois Palmiers El Bacha reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.