“Clean, nicely decorated hotel with great staff and breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Hotel Assia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Hotel Assia
You added Riad Hotel Assia to your Saves list
32, calle de la Recette | Riad El Mokha, Jamaa El Fna, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #313 of 491 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Clean, nicely decorated hotel with great staff and breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

This would be the only hotel from backpacking around Morrocco for 12 days that I would recommend. Staff are great and well set up. Had good sleep apart from last night when herd of Spanish guests where on the roof terrace late at night - ask to be on first floor away from the street when book.

Stayed in two different rooms both ensuite with shower trays. Good quality rooms for budget accommodation not far off UK standard of good quality English B&B and well cleaned. They even have a currency conversion place which is good if you just arrive from the airport as DHs aren't available outside Morrocco.

Breakfast is really good quality and they cover over the bread etc. British standards regarding food hygiene and excellent coffee.

They staff very friendly and give good advice, when it was time for us to go to the airport they found us a cab which cost 80dhs in total for the journey for both of us (payment should be for journey not per person but taxi drivers tried to rip you off). So, took the hassle factor out. Really great people with reception staff that speak English.

Only bad thing I can say is they recommend Expeditition Safari re. dessert and Atlas trips who are a really awful firm - I ended going with them and got food poisoning and others have posted bad reviews on this company. If they recommend these to you, do some research and find another company.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We reached hotel assia, in the evening and were greeted by the friendly staff there.

This is a riad (enclosed hotel) with daylight coming through centre. The rooms were clean and bedding was changed daily. The bathrooms were very basic and in the morning the water can turn cold... (however after reporting it to the manager, he fixed this issue). Breakfast is served on the terrace roof and is basic again you get what you pay for... coffee, tea, mint tea, french bread, crosisants, orange juice etc...

Even though in an alley way...The location of the hotel was good as was literally 1-2 minutes walk from the main busy Jema el fnaa square and medina. Outside the alleyway of the hotel, there are shops, restaurants, takeouts, muisic shops, clothes shops etc.. Taxis bay... KFC within 5-10min walk.. main bus stop 5-10min walk.

Overall it is a cheap hotel and you get waht you pay for! Not bad stay at all! Local to alot of amenties & routes.

you can get coaches and buses and travel out easily to Essaouriou, agadir, Fes, Ouirka, Atlas mountains..
.Any questions, please message me!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

The positives: very close to jma fana, staff was hospitable, nice terrace. They had wifi and even a computer for customer use. The staff stored our luggage after we checked out for free.

Negatives: there was noise coming in from outside. The breakfast was pretty basic but was still better than other hotels we were at.

• Stayed November 2010
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

We spent a night in Hotel Assia after we read a very positive description in a travel guide, and were quite disappointed. The bathroom was really disgusting: toilets were dirty, the shower curtain was mouldy, the taps were rusty and the walls had lots of brown stains. The shower had no pressure but at least hot water. However the room itself was ok, the bed was clean and the staff very nice: we were given a take-away breakfast since we left early. The location is great. If you need a cheap place for one night, it will do the job, but if you can afford 20 euros more, go to a better riad in the medina.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

This place has a great location, but we just couldn't do the cockroaches that came into the room once the lights went out. Woke up at about 1:30 am and the bathroom was full of roaches. Unless you don't mind roaches and a very unhelpful staff, you might be okay to stay here. When we told the front desk guy at 2 am about the roaches and that we were leaving, his response was, "Okay just pay me 380 durhams (38 Euro and over $40 US)". We got upset because it wasn't our fault they had roaches, but he forced us to pay anyway, and he shut the doors behind us, without offering any help whatsoever. I personally would avoid this place alltogether. You can easily find better places cheaper and better right around the corner.

• Stayed August 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I booked this riad just before leaving to Marrakech, because I hadn't found anything else. A friend recommended it as basic, but ok. Well, it was not ok.

I can live with basic for a cupple of days, but I can't live with dirt. On arrival, I got to fill in some papers like in all hotels, and I got my key. They didn't show me my room, but it was not that far from the reception on the ground floor. It was not on the streetside, so quite (well, no street noise, but 3 mosquitos keeping me awake all night). It had 1 small window on to the patio, so very dark and you couldn't leave it open, because anyone could get in to your room by the window and could see you when you are in the room.
Beds were uncomfortable. There were two single beds in each corner. There was no space left to put luggage. There was nothing else in the room, even not a mirror! Bathroom was als very small and basic.

After arriving tired and late in the afternoon, I wanted to take a nap, but found out the sheets were dirty, full of hairs on both beds. I called the receptionist and asked if the sheets were changed and ofcourse he told me it was. I showed him the sheets with the hairs on it and he promissed someone would change them. They changed the sheets, this time no hairs on it, but I had still the feeling someone already slept in them. Same with the towels in the bathroom, they were very old and in need of change.

The first day I took breakfast there, and the days after that I just went to a café, because breakfast at the riad is not only limited in choice, but disgusting. The area is not clean and full of beas who are attracted by the honey on the biscuits. The coffee is disgusting.

I paid 25 euro per night.

I was glad to leave after 5 days.

I can not recommend this hotel, because of the tiny dark rooms and because it is not clean.

The pictures on this website show a large patio, but the patio is dark and small.

The wifi doesn't work most of the time.

Only positive thing is location. It is located in the city centre, near djema el fna.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank gamlastan
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

We stayed a total of 3 nights at this hotel in Marrakech. It was as well located as you can get, and the staff at the front desk were very accomodating and helpful.
For 350 Moroccan dirhams, we got a clean, no frills room with a comfortable bed, heater (rare in Morocco and necessary in the winter), tv, and free wifi. Our first day we paid 380 dirham and had the included breakfast, but we found it substandard compared to other riads and cafes and elected to pay 350 and find our own breakfast thereafter.
The shower had great pressure and plentiful hot water. Granted, it got water all over the floor, but that is really common for the showers there and after an awful experience we had at a more expensive, less well located riad in Marrakech, it was a pleasure.

I made my fiance switch hotels after our first night here because I found it dingy, though there was truly nothing wrong with it. What a mistake that was. After staying at this other, more expensive riad, we were grateful to return to the Assia.

It is well located, clean, inexpensive, and had all the amenities you could ask for. I would recommend this for its value if your expectation is a simple, budget riad.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple