“Just Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Terre Resort & Spa

You added Terre Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Terre Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Palmaraie | La Palmeraie, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #326 of 466 Hotels in Marrakech
Sydney, Australia
“Just Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I was at this resort last week and cannot fault it. We paid about USD90.00 per night I think and what we got for our money is amazing.
Arrival:- Bags taken to our rooms, quick and easy checkin, complimentary mocktail and a quick tour of the premises so that we know where everything is.
Rooms:- Very spacious, comfortable, clean, all the amenities you could need or want, room service, TV (which works perfectly and has an english movie channel), complimentary bottled water, complimentary moroccan pastries.
Facilities:- Pool, large unheated jacuzzi, restaurant, spa, free shuttle service to the medina.
Staff:- Very warm and friendly, could not do enough for you and never once was there any pressure to tip or did they ever ask for a tip.
Restaurant:- lots of variety, moroccan menu was superb. We ate lunch out and dinner at the resort every night and found that the moroccan food at the resort was much better than a lot of the other places we ate at outside. I would also highly recommend the chocolate mousse :)
The resort also tried to find other ways to entertain their guests - free belly dancing lessons, free moroccan cooking classes etc - I guarantee you that the 5 star hotels in Europe and Asia would not offer these free.
To be honest, I found a lot of the complaints of other reviews to be invalid at best and lame at worst. When you think of how much you are paying per night this place is EXCELLENT - clean, comfortable, breakfast included (fresh and a good selection), free shuttle to the Medina and back and free wifi in the bar and pool area.
A word on the taxis - a complaint was made that they could not get on the shuttle and so had to pay for an overpriced taxi. I feel this is unfair. We got on the shuttle each time we wanted but when we needed to get a taxi we paid 150 Dirrhams into the medina and 250 dirrhams to the airport. This is the standard price - this is the price we were asked for when picking up a taxi from the Medina and reception told us that it is a fair price. It is a little on the expensive side but you cannot blame the hotel for that.

I am planning another trip back with my sister and we will stay here again. I recommended Terra to 2 friends and they are booking their holidays here for October.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Terreresort, General Manager at Terre Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Dear Client,
thank you for your kind words. We always do our best to exceed Customer exepctations. Therefore I have shared proudly your comments with our staff. Thank you again and hope to hear from you in the future. Best personal regards
Octogone Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Terre for 5 nights for my birthday, I just got back today. We do travel a lot and have stayed in some seriously impressive hotels so it may be bit harsh to give this three stars but I will list why.

We stayed in the building called Magnolia which has four rooms in it. We had a garden suite room.

Pro's:
location
gardens
sun!
helpful staff
pool looked lovely and the temperature was excellent
the sun beds looked good (some of the loungers were on their way out though)
free wi-fi in pool and jacuzzi area (in fact we could get online on our iphones in the room)
we were in the cheapest room but good size of rooms (large bed area, large tv area, walk in wardrobe and large bathroom with seperate toilet and shower)
free shuttle bus (would be good to have one into medina in the early evening maybe 7.30/8)
toiletries were nice

bed area:
poor lighting
noisy airconditioning
huge cockroach in the bed (which scared the cack out of us as we had already slept that afternoon in it), one of the porters came to get it straight away though!
loads of jumping spiders
mosquito's - now I know a hotel can't change the wildlife but they can screen out the unwanted bugs, the doors and windows are rickety which means it's open for any crawlers
paint and stains all over the floor

TV/small lounge area
My one gripe for this is there was a CRT TV which only had one english channel, the channel was almost impossible to watch it was so badly tuned it was in black and white and really fuzzy (some local channels were ok so this is a satellite issue, we raised it with front of house and there was no improvement) TV isnt a big deal for everyone but we like to chill in the room and watch a tv show or two after the sun

Walk in wardrobe
Way too dark but great size and loads of hangers, shelves and drawers

Bathroom
The most tired of all the rooms
the shower was weak and either freezing or scalding and often would jump from one to the other. We complained about it but nothing appeared to have been resolved
the shower had spiders and spider webs around the higher walls and ceiling area, this wasnt cleaned during our stay. It was lit very darkly but you could still see the lack of cleanliness
a couple of the towels we had were threadbare with a few holes
there was paint from the walls all over the tiles on the floor, it was clear no effort had been made to remove the spills when they had happened
on the last day and night the sewerage smell was really bad, we commented on this as we left
in the toilet drips were coming through the ceiling above, I hope not from toilet plumbing from the room above
the toilet roll holder was broken

the breakfast was continental, very limited and a bit unfresh, served outside

in the rooms there was an offer of breakfast room service, three options of morrocan, american and continental. On my birthday my wife phoned for breakfast to be told there is only the continental on offer in the bar but they would bring it to us if we wanted (at a room service charge though?) why offer services in the room and not deliver these options?

the evening meals were not cheap but not great either so we and others in the hotel felt it was limited and average.

I used the gym a couple of times whilst I was there, every piece of equipment had some damage and didnt always work, there was no aircon in the gym (that worked) and it was 32 degrees when I trained. Great for weight loss!

it's a shame because it seems on the verge of being nice but isn't quite there. It is a five star hotel based on amenities, but not five star based on the quality or detail of those amenities. I wouldn't return but I do think it's pretty good value and should the attention be given to the points I have raised it could be a great destination.

I do recommend the orange juice in the square and La Mamounia for a really posh drink!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Terreresort, General Manager at Terre Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Dear Client,

thank you for your email and thank you for having stayed with us. Your point of you is very important to us, and we understood start from a standardized expectation of what should be luxe and hotels.

So we are happy to reply on your concerns.

The Magnolia building room you reserved was, as you mention a standard room with garden view, where you have remarked the space, the wi fi system, the amenities and a poor TV system and a problem of insects and cockroack during your stay.

As part of our high hygiene procedure, being Marrakech and Morocco with its charme, still a quite different world and different nature respect to Europe, we do daily investigation and monthly disinfestation in any area of the garden and in any single place of the resort to avoid any possible problem. Yes you are right to say that we can not change the ecosystem but we would like to assure you that we do our utmost to be very attentive and proactive in those situation.

Due to your remarks I closed the building to redo any part claimed and be ready to give it for business very soon. Being very high season our Clients would really appreciate the upgrade we forecast to do in a timely manner.

For the bathroom I' m sincerely afraid to hear that but little maintenance problems can be fixed by a simple call, I apologize for it.

The breakfast included in your package was in deed a continental breakfast but we offer also alternatives. i rely this to a missunderstanding with our reception.

The Spa area offers a little gym where our clients have available machines and facilities for fitness. I will look into it to see your issue of the airconditioning and the quality of our material.

However I thank you for your comments and be assured that all your comments are important to us in order to be much more in line with our Clients expectations and needs.

Best personal regards

GM

Marrakech
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

... if you are looking for a good value for money, go for it - the infrastructure is very nice. If you are used to travel in 5* star properties then pass your way - you will be very desapointed by the level of service, especially from the front desk, and the lack of a real concierge.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Terreresort, General Manager at Terre Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Dear Client,
thank you most sincerely for the comments expressed. Our property as said by most of our client is between Morocca Style and Classic Modern hotel in the services. However Concierge and Reception staff are always at disposal of our Clients for any need, tours, good suggestions. However we understand you were not satisfied and we apologize for not been able to do it. I remain to your personal disposal and would like to thank you for your stay with us.

Octogone Hotels
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I visited the hotel in February as part of a deal. The deal was superb - and in comparison to the price we paid I almost awarded four stars. However, it is a five star hotel and given that I would have been disappointed had I paid the full amount I thought three was fairer.

Since most of the issues are easy to fix, though irritating, management can hopefully take the feedback on board and reach the massive potential this place has to offer.

Positives:
- Price. We received a great deal, though understand that it was exceptional
- Staff/Driver. Whilst there were some issues (see below), they were polite, keen to help and friendly.
- Breakfast.
- Beauty of the buildings.
- Apart from quibbles, room really exceeded expectations. Large, comfortable with twin sinks, bath, and wet room.
- Facilities. Tennis, spa, business centre, gym.
- Welcome. With alcohol-free cocktail, which was lovely.
- Offered us a free spa treatment (but see below)

Negatives:
- By far, biggest was profiteering. I kept feeling as if everything was set up to make money off us. E.g. booking Chez Ali directly is cheaper than booking it through the desk; the tour of the hotel shop on arrival; curiously expensive taxis ordered when the tiny hotel car was full; the request for a tip at exit. Businesses need to make money and I understand that. However, customers prefer transparent charges (e.g. higher room rates) than feeling like they are being ripped off (e.g. hidden booking fees to Chez Ali); and that undermines trust and good will.
- Location. Can't do much about this one, but it is very far out, and street taxis get expensive/difficult when they realise you are going to a 5* hotel really far out of town and they wont get business on the way back. Probably not their fault, but when we looked online it seemed to be much more central as someone had mistakenly marked google maps incorrectly. Whilst they had a driver, this service stopped too early and had to be booked in advance. One day we tried to catch the taxi, but it was full (we tried to book previous night, but it was full then) so the hotel called a taxi (much more expensive than most). Interestingly the taxi that turned up seemed to be a six seater, whilst the hotel car was just a four seater. I thought that they were both run by the same company, but wasn't sure (e.g. was the first one deliberately small to get us to pay for a taxi?). It was just mean to have a small car for that location.
- Room quibbles. Heating didn't work, and safe was low on batteries. We didn't report these, so can't complain too much.
- Facility quibbles. Pool isn't heated.
- Food. Seems expensive (probably in line with international 5* prices, but fellow residents had poor feedback so we didn't try). Also, no other food places nearby so there is an effective monopoly...
- Spa slip-up. We had a misunderstanding about the spa time, and so didn't get to use it.

Suggestions:
- Aim to boost profit off the rooms and certain services (e.g. room service), and use this to reduce the cost of food (where you have a monopoly) and cancel any kick-back deals with local businesses (if they exist - if not, drive a harder bargain so your residents get discounts and not surcharges!)
- Get the same wonderful driver (he was a star!) driving a larger car, and making later trips. This will balance out your biggest weakness (location)
- Add room heating and room safe to things to check regularly
- Heat the pool
- Wonderful spa staff, and the miscommunication was probably my bad French. But in that case have a leaflet at hand, or write an appointment card with a time on it to be 100% clear nobody's time is wasted.

I hear that the current management are relatively new. So hope they take this point and leverage the beautiful buildings and wonderful rooms to build a unique and special experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Terreresort, General Manager at Terre Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Dear Tripadvisor Customer,
thank you most sincerely for your fair comments and the positive &r negative details expressed herewith.

As you would imagine being the Terre Resort & Spa philosophy to be " an affordable luxury hotel" , we always make our best to keep our Clients happy with a consistent service compared to the rates they pay.

In deed most of your concerned seems to be in regards of taxies issue. We have improved our services for taxies to be in line with Custmer expecation,
At Terre Resort & Spa today you pay for a proper car and driver 150 dhs for the city center within 21 km..and we provide a 14 place navette included in the rate. However all the improvement done, do belong only to the latest month. We regret you did not report to us those during your stay.
The hotel today offers to the Clients, activities, splendide gardens and very affordable Restaurant or room service menues. Just as little clarification the Show of Chez Ali costs more if you buy at the hotel since we prefer our Customers to take the car either if it is walking distance, and get collected at the end of the show;
I thank you personally for all your suggestions we high value and hope to welcome you again in our house.
Best personal regards

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights in August 2009 and I have to say I enjoyed every second - I only wish I had stayed for longer!

I took my husband there and he was delighted from the moment we arrived. We had a VIP welcome with cakes and atay (Moroccan mint tea) whilst we waited to check in. Just as well, as we took time to soak up the décor and architecture.

We were then taken to our room... forget walking through corridors and taking lifts oh noooo; think walking on a path through the gardens, past aloe vera plants, a pool, a tent and summer house. We were so excited... and we had every reason to be.

We then got to the room, well more like a mini palace, with a traditional riad door and opened with a key - we were home! As we entered our Princess Suite, it was breathtaking - huge and I mean 'huge' room. With a large bed, scattered with petals.

Then next to the bed there was a sofa area, and some small benches under the windows. On the table we were given a platter of fresh fruit and bottled water - a great welcome after a long journey! There was also x2 wardrobes.

The bathroom was split into three areas (sorry did i mention it was super spacious?!):
1 = walking to the sink, bath, mirror area.
2 = toilet (closed off with a door)
3 = a walk in traditional shower room

Staff were all very friendly, helpful & smiling.

We hired a car to get into Marrakech centre, but it isn't too far by taxi.

Check out Chez Ali nearby - it was a night to remember in terms of events.

This is a glowing report, but if i had to pick one thing to complain about it would be the noise of the air con.

I am going back there without a doubt. Truly recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

Highly recommended - the perfect place to relax and unwind. The hotel is set in large grounds, with rooms located in lots of individual Morrocan style buildings, rather than one large building. We enjoyed wandering round the grounds admiring the flowers and views of the atlas mountains on a clear day. We also spent time relaxing by the pool, playing tennis on the clay court and having a traditional hammam in the spa. Staff were friendly, helpful and attentive and generally could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable. We would recommend eating in the restaurant . Whilst more expensive than Marrakech, the Morrocan evening menu (changed daily and cooked by a local chef) was delicious! There is also a generous international menu which was also very good.
The hotel is 20 minutes from town and we appreciated the free shuttle bus. We loved exploring Marrakech - however, we were pleased to leave the hustle and bustle of the town behind us and return to the oasis of the Terre Resort and Spa in the evening.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Always fancied going to Marrakesh and I was not disappointed althoygh the weather in February was pretty naff and wet with a splattering of 27C sunshine. The hotel TERRE (earth) Resort and Spa was pretty good and could almost be a 5 star but somehow misses the finishing touches, no heat in the pool was a drag and meant that it was too cold to spend more than 30 seconds in the water. The staff were really friendly , the upgraded rooms were nice and huge, breakfast was adequate but evening meals were well pretty sad really and many people went out to town. The town just buzzes and is great fun and there are some great restautants like the Marrakchi and my favourite the Tangier which is as good as anywhere you can go in the world and has an amazing atmosphere. Must do is trip into the Atlas mountains and we used a local taxi company Mr Toufik [--] and he was fantastic , speaks fluent english and french and Arabic but more importantly was HALF the price that the hotels wanted to charge and had a great new and clean taxi. Mountain climbing with Burkhers and Camel ride is great fun as well. Beer is £6 per small bottle everywhere. Lots of up market shopping areas for the ladies interested such as Zara.

Souks are great, loads to do and Madeena is best during the day if you have small kids. The locals treat kids like their own and were fun if you learnt how to barter with them! July it gets to 50 yes 50C during the day and night, so beware,

Been to Terre Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!