“Even better the second time around!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Terre Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Terre Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Terre Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Palmaraie | La Palmeraie, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #306 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Casablanca
“Even better the second time around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

I was at Terre with my wife when it opened in 2007 and we both thought it was a great "boutique resort". It is so much cooler to be in your "own house" with private patio and everything than a hotel room with small balcony like so many of the other places around. Plus the design is very innovative and the architecture just beautiful. So many details (each of the 18 domes is different! and there are octogons hidden ust about everywhere!). But it was brand new, the staff a bit inexperienced, certain amenities not in place, etc. Nonetheless, it had the right ingredients to become a very special place.

So I went back for a short business trip last week and was amazed at how much the place had improved! I wish my wife could have seen it this time around. They have redesigned the main hall to accomodate a small souvenir shop (cheaper than in town!), added a magnificent door to the restaurant, and so on. Definitely keeping up with the improvements: English spoken by all the senior staff (don't expect all Moroccans to speak English...), new pool house/library with PCs and internet access, etc. The place just looked magnificent.

The new chef is simply brilliant and the food was excellent. Those that complain about prices should try most of the other similar quality restaurants in town. I would nonetheless recommend having some "quick meals" in town if you are on a tight budget. For breakfast, always order it through room service and you will never be disappointed!

I believe you can find this place to be just the best for you (a businessman, a 30+ couple on a romantic trip...) if you understand that going to town will always take between 15 and 30 minutes from anywhere in the Palmeraie and this place is no exception. Cab fares have been regulated and are posted at the airport so take notice when you get there. Once in town, small red cabs will get you everywhere for less than a pound or two. After a stressful day visiting Marrakech or having had meetings, the calm of the Palmeraie (an oasis of palm trees in an otherwise desertic area) is what you need.

Finally, I would say this: Terre is the best 5-star boutique hotel/residential retreat this close to town. And it just keeps on getting better and better.

Thanks to all the staff (Meryem, Fatima Zahra, Hassan, Karim) for a very pleasant stay - albeit too short, as always.

I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

This could be a great hotel..... but it's main motivation is not customer satisfaction - but rather to squeeze as much cash out of its captive and isolated audience as is humanly possible The buildings are beautiful, and the (unheated) pool area is a great place to relax and read a book. The rooms look good - though the bath in ours did not work (no water pressure) and the shower was weak and leaked. The bed was uncomfortable and the tv had limited channels and a poor reception.

However, the resort is some distance from Marrakesh (a taxi will cost you at least £12 each way - and over £20 to the airport) and the hotel really takes advantage of this. Are you looking forward to paying £8 for 3 scoops of cheap ie cream. How about £3 for a can of coke? Water that costs over 5x the price of the same product in the (already expensive) tourist traps in town ... £15 for two cheese sandwches and salad....or over £80 for a very poor quality two course meal? All the guests we spoke to were racking up £60 - £80 per head on food and drink on their terre spa days ... and most simply chose to go to Marrakesh for food and water. It's also very dull at the hotel in the evenings ... once darkness settles your only option is to eat and drink. If you want a hotel with a pool - find one far closer to the town where you'll have more options and feel less exploited. We did not find a single happy guest - and everyone knew that the (fairly) cheap initial booking costs were off set by the industrial scale fleecing they were exposed to. In simple terms - avoid at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed with our two children 10 days at Terre. We had a great time and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is really beautiful and the rooms are very spacious. Ideal when you travel with your children. Also the private terrace and salon are a true asset.
As we have very young children we had dinner almost every evening in the restaurant and enjoyed our meals. The service was good and the staff very friendly. My son has a gluten-intolerance (coeliakie) and the chef prepared his lunch and dinner separed so he couldn't get sick. Believe me... there are not many hotels who take the effort! The massages and treatments in the SPA were great!!! Conclusion: don't hesitate and go to Terre, we are already planning to go back back!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

An ideal place to stay if you find the rush of Marrakech a little overwhelming (as many do!), and don't mind the long-ish taxi ride into town. The individual houses in which you stay are spacious and comfotable; their living areas and terrace was a real treat, which offered genuine privacy. With the lanterns, tents and gorgeous architecture that adorn the grounds, it's like staying in somene's romantic idea of how Morrocco should look. The pool is beautiful, and the facilities are clean, efficient and very comfortable.

The place was only let down by the wholly disinterested staff. Whilst polite for the most part, they were far from attentive; on one occasion it took us 40 minutes to acquire a towel for the pool. We ordered teas which never arrived, and food which never materialised, and asked for local advice which never transpired.

However, the staff could on occassion be quite rude. For example, the internet was also down for the entire stay - one of the luxuries of a 5* resort is using the internet to check in online, or sneak a look at your emails - and when quizzed about it the staff merely replied "it's broken". When I asked if it would be fixed at any stage, they simply replied "no", and turned back to their conversation. Equally, the front door to our house was one day left wide open by the cleaners. This was a little worrying, so we gently told reception that a mistake had been made. In reply, the receptionist sarcastically said "What do you want? Should I slay a lamb for you? Do you want a thousand plates of couscous?". His sarcasm was so extreme that on reflection the incident was rather funny - but at the time it was just very unpleasent.

I should also add that on three occassions the hotel contracted DJs to play by the pool during the day; they played extremely loud dance music which was very much at odds with the relaxing spa / family atmosphere, and caused several guests to complain!

So - it's a really fantastic and beautiful place to stay if you feel like being utterly private and relaxed - and you don't expect much from the staff, and can put up with a bit of loud music during the day.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

I read all the reviews and still felt something ticking inside of me to give this place a try, so I did
I arrived late night as my flight was delayed, I was afraid the driver was gone, off the plane I was already panicked and did not have the hotel telephone nr. by hand, my relief was eased when I could see my name far in distance, once arrived at the hotel, I was treated as a royalty, easy check in, my suite was ready and homey, next thing I knew it was a beautiful sunny morning with breakfast served in my terrace as I ordered it , massage was awaiting me
The excursion to the garden of Majorell added a special meaning for me as I worked in my young years in one of YSL ‘s ateliers in Paris, I was so moved .
Back at Terre I was enchanted with the service and the quality of food, were do you get such service and abundance? For so little $$?, I truly don’t understand people who are so impatient and angry about anything, I must say the reviews are exaggerated , after all we are not paying five star rates either, if one wants such service there is always the famous Amman Jenna...over 800euro /night++
I just believe the complains are unjustified and wrongful the staff tried to please me and other guest in every way possible and I had a wonderful time,
A true gem , keep up the good work !!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

just back from a weeks stay in Terre Resort and Spa.And I am trukly asking myself what strange people stood there to write those agressive and nonsensical reviews. Yes, maybe several things need improvements, but this concerns 99% of all hotels of a 5***** category I visited, and amongst the Worlds Best!Pedagogues start best with the good things, so I do it as I am one: the staff is the most friendly and helpful I found in 25 years in a hotel. An internet breakdown and urgent needs for communication made the whole hotel staff up to the very freeindly director jump and act up to bring own laptops and modems to secure connection, remarkable!The reservation manager Mr.s Bouchra solved every detail with an unusual flexibility and there was subjects to match.The architecture of the separate, in a superb garden located individual villas and suites is unique and for itself worth to go. You feel like having an own house in Morocco for your stay. Rooms are fine, luxurious without to much of glitter, just right, giving the local atmosphere. Maybe lighting is a bit dark , a bit everywhere, but this makes a special charm. The pool and surroundings is very stylish, although not heated(should be changed). For summer holidays fine, for spring and fall just funny for the strong sportsmen.Its true, breakfast is very low budget, but if you ask a stronnger double espresso instead of the all-planet usual pre-made stuff, you get it for free, with recommandations of the food and beverage manager.The whole site is minimalist, you dont feel in a big ghotel, no , more in a vill-condominium with attached permanent service, no bad and giving this nice feeling you do what you want, not what they do you to want, like in most boxy and awfully huge hotels.Go to Safi, and try the so called 5 stard hotel Golden Tulip Farah: the worst experience ever(2 and a half stards maximum). Go back then to Terre Resort and Spa and shut up writing stupidities. Next nice thing: Fattimaezzarah doing a perfect, one hour facial cleaning and treatment, just perfect, in the Spa. Didnt try the other features like masswge but can easily imagine it must be the same level of quality. The most amzing stays next to the architecture, and style of the huge private gardens:the extraordinary kindness and support of the stuff. Ok, the minibar must be fed on request first with what you want, and ther arent more than a few television programmes, but one thing is clear. This hotel has something very special: you feel at home, you feel relaxed, and if Marrakechs medina ask for thrilling evenings, believe me, this hotel is fine to stay for two weeks and you dont even want to go out. To find it, yes it's tricky, but: ask for CHEZ ALI (superbe atmosphere evening festivities,with a big and fascinating show about moroccian traditions and skills on horses, music etc., food just everage, price ok still) and you will be lead to the Terre Resort that hides nearly unseen in the wide Palerai surroundings. To write a book, forget Europe, spend a romantic honeymoon in a fascinating country, to be seduced by people that serve because they like it, not because they are paid for, then go to this hotel and you wont regret.Special thanks to the Manager of Human Ressources,Mrs. Houda, an outstandingly handsome and kind woman, handing over her own laptop for hours and hours just to secure clients needs for communication.Go to a chain hotel, and you will see whats going on there. Because in Morocca, telecommunications are like on the moon, 19th century. Its not the hotel's fault. The faultless hotel doesnt exist, but Terre is worth every dirham it costs...and now one thing more: the prices are more than fair.People in need of fuz, noise and rushour feelings in a hotel should simply stay away!The better it is for us. Go and see the big royal suites, houses for your own, and you want to buy one! I will go back, definitely.Inchallah

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

I took a four day trip in March, I decided to book this place even after reading the negative reviews. I thought all that can't be true but unfortunately i was mistaken with the exception of the staff. The staffs were very polite and tried to accommodate us as best as possible.

The misleading portion is that I looked a number of sites and the list of amenities mentioned that Terre Spa and Resort has is a lie. For example they do not have a steam room/steam bath or Jacuzzi/spa tub, mini golf, couldn’t rent a car in the hotel, I would hardly call three machines and a mat a fitness room or gym. Also on www.vernere.com it mentions they have a heated pool… well when I went into the pool it was stone cold (which explained why no one was in the pool rather just sitting around the pool)

The fine dining was ok, but was rather expensive, a meal for two came to almost 80 pounds (with out drink), the breakfast was mediocre, a standard breakfast you get at any old B&B and not a 5 star resort. One reviewer wrote "its as good as any 5 star dining in London" which is totally wrong since they probably have never been to a 5 star dining place. In addition the price of water is 4 – 5 times the cost of getting it outside. I understand at hotels there is a mark up… but by so much is ridiculous. I was in medina and bought a 1liter bottle of water for 5 dirham’s, and in the hotel it cost 25 dirahams.

Overall it was a so so experience, if you are looking for a 5 star resort this is not the place however if you are looking for somewhere quite to lazy around then this could be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Terre Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!