“Peaceful haven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad le Clos des Arts

Save Saved
You added Riad le Clos des Arts to your Saves list
Riad le Clos des Arts
Riad Zitoune Jdid, Derb Tbib 50 | Near Dar Si Said and Bahia Palace, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #3 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Peaceful haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My mother and I spent 3 nights in Riad le Clos des Arts in early June 2014 and had a wonderful time. Massimo, Giorgina and their staff made us feel completely at home while at the same time being so accommodating (especially when my Mum got food poisioning!). The space is beautifully maintained and the oils make it smell amazing. The rooftop terrace is the perfect spot for breakfast and some rest and relaxation after a day exploring. Highly recommend having dinner here at least one night too. You won't be disappointed if you stay here!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Citrine Room which is the smallest (I think). It was absolutely fine though so if y...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Greek first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I don't think I've read so many positive reviews of any hotel before on Trip Advisor. I've always trusted Trip Advisor in the past, trusted it this time, and was very pleased that I did. I can only echo the majority of the sentiments on here. This Riad is very, very special. It's utterly tranquil with just the burble of the courtyard fountain for company. It's astonishing how close you are to the utter melee of the city, but from only a few hundred yards away, you hear nothing of it. This is exactly my kind of place. I'm still young enough to enjoy the frenetic pace of a place like Marrakech, but old enough to want an escape from it when it suits me, and Riad le Clos des Arts is that place. As many others have stated, Giorgina and Massimo are as special as their accommodation, an utterly charming couple who float gracefully about the Riad in a calm manner, chatting quietly in little corners to their guests and taking 'service' up a notch from anything I've had the pleasure of encountering before. I've always said that you can't teach folk to be courteous and caring, you can always see through such people with ease, Giorgina and Massimo weren't trained to be engaging and thoughtful, they were born that way and they genuinely care about their guests. It was honestly a faultless experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Willing to visit Marrakech, with my wife we went for this Riad, in between the many, through friends recommendations. It resulted being an excellent choice: have been warmly welcomed by the owners, which showed further being attentive to any need, flexible in providing assistance when required, always available. Moreover, you clearly perceive staff is carefully selected to provide a polite and effective service.
Location is great inside, would say quintessential, tasty and tidy, and perfectly located in town for visiting.
At times Marrakech might be demanding, therefore turning a couple of corners and dive into a cosy calmness makes a pleasant difference.
Dining on the beautiful terrace or in the courtyard is a refined pleasure, local cuisine is nicely proposed.
As initiatives we have been proposed a tourist guide an wellness treatments, both proved being great, very good value for money, likewise everything we got through this highly recommendable pick.

Room Tip: First floor, adds the extra bit, though not essential.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Yes it is all true. Every review that speaks of how peaceful, how beautiful, how amazing this riad is tells the same story that my partner and I experienced during our 3 night stay at the luxurious Riad le Clos des Arts. That is why I would like to try to share our story to hopefully shed new and informative light of our unforgettable trip to this magical place.

First let me start off by telling you that as a gay couple traveling to Marrakech we knew that we would have to be careful of where we booked our stay since we had heard stories of couples being turned away at the midnight hour b/c of riad owners not comfortable with 2 men sharing 1 bed. We emailed to make sure they were ok with our arrangement and I was told, "the minute you walk through our door we want you to be able to be yourself and be comfortable. When you walk outside you must be careful." We as savvy travelers already knew the precaution we must take undergoing an Islamic country and always practice cultural competence when abroad. So I booked it with great anticipation (as you should too my fellow gay travelers :).

The most important thing I took away from our stay here is in 1 word: SERVICE. The service is top-notch, 5 star, ultra luxury. There isn't anything you could want that they could not get for you. If you need a spa day, they take care of it for you. Need wine with dinner, they make it happen. Would like a tour, it will be arranged. Not once did we lift our luggage as it is worth noting & highly recommended that you should pay for the airport shuttle to/from the airport. I pity those who did not!

All of this incredible service stems from the fact that when you book at the riad you are not booking into a chain-based hotel with well over 200 guests but instead you are booking a private guesthouse of 7-8 rooms where a staff is always present to cater to your every need. Yes you will live like a king for your duration, we certainly did. Which also leads me to the next *must do* while you are there. The food....

On our trip we also went to Norway and Spain and I can honestly say the best food we ate throughout the entire trip was in Marrakech and the riad has a lot to do with it. Based on previous reviews we booked a dinner there for our first night just to see what is was all about. The second day we raved to Massimo how amazing it was & he actually told us, "the food here is incredible but you should try to eat out at least one night to see what else is out there." By the end of the second day we knew we would be eating back at the riad on our last night. In fact, we watched from the street one of the riad's employees buying and carrying all of the wonderful, fresh ingredients for the night's meal back to the house. I can not stress how fresh and delicious everything tasted.

To put in perspective before our meal the first night we were asked about our dietary concerns, what we like what we don't eat etc. We were served a chicken and preserved lemon tajine (think slow cooked) dish that was out of this world. We asked Giorgina about how it was prepared and she told us that "2 nights before we arrived they killed a chicken for us and had used their aged preserved lemon stock especially for this dish." Apparently they have 6month preserved lemon, 1 year, 5 year etc. already to go at the riad. I'm telling you the chicken was extraordinary. Poor chicken but happy me...

This is a testament to what happens when you stay at a small family-run type establishment. The service, the attention to detail is everything. I'm sorry but no one ever killed a chicken for me at a Hilton. It is worth the price b/c you are not just getting a meal but an experience. The candlelit tables with rose petals, the soft desert breeze all punctuated with the hauntingly beautiful sound of the call to prayer made for a lifetime memory that I am so blessed to have had. Just wait until you step into the riad and the smell of all day cooked food wafts to your senses, only then will you truly know that you made the right decision.

You may read all about how comfortable and stylish the rooms are- as they all are true. Let me just say this, we are south Florida boys who are very accustomed to sleeping in A/C. Even though it does get cooler at night we were still a little worried about the sleeping arrangements. No worries needed as their A/C blasted us with the much needed frigid air that we are used to. Sleeping there was heavenly. Also a side note it was so quiet in our room that we did not hear the 5am call to prayer like I thought we would. We stayed in Turquoise so if you can get that room - do it.

Marrakech is crazy people and after a long, hot, tired day of dealing with the madness there is no place I rather call home than the Riad le Clos des Arts. It actually made the trip for us! As we look back at our time in Marrakech, Giorgina, Massimo and the staff at Clos des Arts will forever be with us. It is that good people, seriously. Thank you everyone for making our trip once in a lifetime!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Towson, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

The Riad le Clos des Arts really does live up to, I might even say surpasses, what so many other former guests have written about it. All of the superlatives and praise are not exaggerations, they are simply the facts. This really is a wonderful place to stay in Marrakech and you will be amazed at how helpful, kind, knowledgable, and readily available Giorgina and Massimo always are.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I cannot recommend Riad le Clos des Arts too highly.
Fantastic hosts. Massimo and Giorgina could not have been more helpful. They gave us excellent advice, recommendations and help in making arrangements for a wonderful stay. Our room was beautiful, very clean and spacious. The welcome mint tea and biscuits, the evening meal as well as breakfast were excellent. All of the staff we encountered were charming. The site of the hotel was very convenient for exploring the main areas of interest in Marrakesh.
We stayed for 3 nights and then travelled for a few days. On our return to Marrakesh we stayed in another hotel that was nearly twice the price of Riad le Clos des Arts and not at all as pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Whidbey Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

This riad came extremely highly recommended by close friends who sell rugs and have traveled the world many times over. They simply told us, "You MUST stay with Massimo and Giorgina!" We took their word and discovered, from the moment we entered the impressively carved doors, a sanctuary of peace. Having traveled solid for two days from the U.S., we were even more exhausted than we realized. We were met by vases of gorgeous and fragrant long-stem roses, mint tea and almond cookies, welcoming words from Massimo, and sound advice to wait until the next morning to get oriented. We were treated to a delicious, light tomato, cucumber salad and briouates (filo treats) then slept a full twelve hours undisturbed. Leaving the room at 12:15PM, we figured we had missed breakfast, but, no, we were graciously offered a late one.

The riad is simply lovely yet not overdone: exquisitely carved wood, tasteful colors and design, comfy white cushions, and the most gorgeous bathroom I have ever experienced in any hotel room anywhere! Massimo generously offered a wealth of tips on everything from respectful apparel to how to safely carry our valuables, from dining in the neighborhood to suggestions for our future travels in Africa. Georgina was extremely helpful in communicating with me from the moment we first booked a year earlier and helped us out with a miscommunication with a local rug dealer.

It is no surprise that Riad le Clos des Arts receives such a high TA rating despite and countless alternatives. The gracious hospitality, unfailingly friendly and helpful staff, convenient yet quiet location, lovely decor, and special touches everywhere... we would love to come back one day.

Room Tip: We chose the Ambre (Amber) Room. We actually didn't see the other rooms to compare, but it was f...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad le Clos des Arts? Share your experiences!