“Honeymoon Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad le Clos des Arts

Save Saved
You added Riad le Clos des Arts to your Saves list
Riad le Clos des Arts
Riad Zitoune Jdid, Derb Tbib 50 | Near Dar Si Said and Bahia Palace, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #3 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
wolverhampton
“Honeymoon Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We wanted to go somewhere new for our honeymoon. Somewhere exciting with sightseeing and also a location we could relax. Morocco! We decided on three days in Marrakech and 6 in the Atlas Mountains. We were met at the airport by our driver which had been arranged directly with Georgina at the time of booking (15 euros). Massimo gave us a really useful 'briefing' over a fresh mint tea on Marrakech - where to go/not to go, recommendations for restaurants etc. They also booked a guide for us so that we got the most out of our time there. Youssef was great, very knowledgeable and enthusiastic, great English and he didn't drag us round to shops all morning trying to get us buy stuff.
We had dinner at the Riad each night - it was lovely. Three courses of beautiful, traditional and homemade dishes for 25 euros. Served on the roof terrace with the beautiful sound of the call to prayer in the distance.
we loved our time here and the whole staff team under Massimo and Georgina were excellent. I would recommend the Riad to anyone and I would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: A suite is worth the little extra for more space.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

817 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Let me first start by saying the location is in the Medina and is walking distance to all the action. The riad is absolutely beautiful, incredibly clean and the food is fantastic. The owners are so friendly and came by to chat with us frequently during our stay. It was really a personal touch. Upon arrival they discussed with us some of the places to go and when to go. We found this to be very helpful as it was our first time in Marrakech. The rooftop has a pool and they provide sun hats and towels for the guests. They also provide bottled water. The common areas are a wonderful place to relax and take a nap or read a book. I am so glad that I chose to stay in a riad as opposed to a resort. I just can't say enough about how awesome this place is. I would highly recommend it and I will go again on my next visit to the wonderful city of Marrakech!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

During my travels to Morocco I stayed at a number of riads, therefore I can say with some confidence that there was something unique about this experience. While other riads may be equally charming and stylish, the Riad le Clos des Arts was the most memorable. The hosts Giorgina and and Massimo create a fantastic atmosphere grounded in their sincere interpersonal interest in their guests. You can easily dose your needs for privacy and discussion with deeper connection if you are up for it. If you want an authentic experience with guides that provide insider information about enjoying Marrakech this is an excellent choice. If this is your first visit to Marrakech or you are a little shaky about what you will find - Giorgina and Massimo are terrific at getting you in the right mind set for a safe and wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Thank you Massimo, Giorgina, Adriana and the rest of the staff for a brilliant stay in your Riad last week. We had a fantastic time in Marrakech, and it was because of you.

From the moment we were greeted by Massimo on arrival, to the moment we waved goodbye to Riad le Clos des Arts, we felt like we were staying at the stunning home of close, fun, friends. When we arrived at the Riad, Massimo took the time - over a pot of mint tea - to talk us through everything we might need to know for our few days in Marrakech. It was invaluable, and we lost count of the times where we'd be wandering in the Medina or around the Souks and would recall a piece of his advice. We felt immediately at ease in a strange place and it set us up to enjoy every second of our time exploring a magnificent city.

The honesty with which Massimo and Giorgina advised us about things like excursions, restaurants and hammams was great. In many places you might feel like you were being railroaded into using specific tour operators etc, but not here. All advice was given from their own personal experiences, it was clearly just their own honest opinions, and we didn't feel pressured into doing anything. Admittedly, they only recommend one Hammam. We chose it. We didn't regret it. It was like being in heaven.

The Riad itself is not just beautiful, but chic, relaxed and so friendly. The friendly atmosphere created by the staff seems to rub off on the other guests, and although i'm someone who might normally like to be anonymous at a hotel; here I just fell for the happy atmosphere and felt totally among friends and humbled to be one of the family. Coming back at night after exploring the medina, felt like coming home. Walking into the courtyard to that amazing smell of Jasmine, the lamplight, the trickle of water from the rose-filled fountain, and the relaxing music - was unbelievably soothing. On one night after a 4x4 trip through the Atlas Mountains, I took a cooling dip in the terrace plunge pool, under pink evening clouds, with the cry of evening prayers sounding across the medina rooftops. It was Marrakech in a moment.

One of the days of our stay happened to be my birthday, and at breakfast Giorgina brought me a present from the souks, all wrapped in ribbons. I'm not normally the type to gush this much about anywhere i've stayed, but I was genuinely touched by this gesture, and just the way we were treated and welcomed from start to finish. It was above and beyond the service you'd receive at a hotel costing 5 times as much. We were blown away.

The food in the hotel both at breakfast, and on the one night we chose to dine at the Riad, was top class. That little bit of extra effort could be seen everywhere.

I would not return to Marrakech and stay anywhere else. It was profoundly the friendliest, most pleasant, and warmest experience of anywhere i've ever stayed. Thanks to the owners and all the staff, we had an incredible time in Marrakech. I would recommend this Riad to my parents, my mates, or to a stranger on the street. It is a jewel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I will try and keep this review short. If you want a truly memorable holiday, look no further and make a reservation at this Riad. You’ll receive outstanding service from the moment you step out of the taxi to the moment you say goodbye. Giorgina and Massimo are wonderful hosts and just like the city itself, they exude charisma and charm in abundance. They have a team of professional and friendly staff and they run this Riad like clockwork and always with a smile on their faces.

We’ve stayed at various 5* hotels and resorts but none of them even come close to the level of care we received here. Giorgina and the team have given us some special memories which we will treasure for the rest of our lives. We can't wait to return!

Book it, you won’t regret it!

Room Tip: Suite Turquoise is beautiful!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

From the moment we arrived we were greeted with warmth, hospitality, wonderful humor and fantastic food served in serenely peaceful, elegant, artistic surroundings. I love le Clos des Arts! Giorgina and Massimo are the consummate hosts and they have a wonderful team at your service. Quality is everywhere, in every detail. And the food is amazing. You can see that this amazing couple have considered everything possible to make the experience of staying at their Riad memorable and enjoyable. Be sure to pay close attention to Massimo's entertaining orientation, delivered with a twinkle or two of the eye when you arrive. Their map also provides the best advice for where to go and what to see. Giorgina and Massimo organize trips, guides and will help you learn about, adapt and respect the rich culture, traditions and heritage of Marrakech. I will definitely stay here again. Heck! I think I'm going to move here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We travelled to Marrakech in mid-september from London and arrived at Marrakech with extremely high expectations for the city in general and the riad in particular. This in due mainly to the exceptionals reviews we had pored over in the months prior to the trip. I must say our expectations were met and exceeded in every respect. Upon our arrival at the parking area where we were greeted by Georgina, an angelic-like creature in so many ways, we were taken aback by the primal surroundings and was slighyly unprepared for our first journey into the medina (market) area. The riad is located less than 5 minutes walk from where we got off the taxi. A young man with a medieval cart transported our luggage to the riad alongside our host who took every opportunity to point out landmarks in order that we could find our way back later on. This information plus the briefing that ensued kept us in good stead throughout our 7 night stay at the riad.
Entering the riad was very much stepping into a different world and for the entire week we were in Marrakech, we had looked forward to returning to our room which was itself magical in every way. The cool or hot mint tea available throughout the day and night, was truly an elixir after a days exploring the markets. Georgina and Massimo are probably one of very few individuals that you would meet once in your life and would remember them for the rest of it. They are true characters and geniuses in their own right. The staff at the riad lived up to my expectations and I run a much larger and higher-end hospitality-based organisation in Central London and i must reluctantly admit, they would give me a good run for my money if they were based there. The room itself is adequate and tastefully decorated with minor work required in refreshing the bathroom and walk-in shower. You really only need hair conditioner as all toiletries are provided for. The linen used was top class as was the bedding, except for the four poster bed which was a bit creaky at times. There was always a bowl of fruit and bottled water (if requested) on the table and the cleaning was professional and unintrusive. Mohammed, the team leader designate was a towering giant, attentive to our every need during our entire stay. The chambermaids who also work in the kitchens were like nymphs going about their work and churned out 2 dinners that I would have rated as up there with the best michelin-starred meals I have had in London. The red mullet tagine that we had on our first night was jaw-droppingly good although would have been made perfect if pin-boned, but we are in Marrakech here. We paid 25 euros per head for a 3 course dinner excluding drinks. We had dinner with our hosts and, now life-long, friends from LA we met at the Riad at a French restaurant recommended by them which was truly memorable. Equally memorable, was a guided tour on our 2nd day organised by the riad with a special individual named Mohamed Daif, who made our visit truly unforgetable. From getting squashed at the leather auction to an epic haggling session for berber carpets and a roadside lunch of goat liver, this set the bar for the entire trip and if you did nothing else in Marrakech, go for a guided tour of the souks with Mohamed Daif. We also had a hamman and massage at Angsana Spa (ie with chamchat and tomchat), which was recommended by our hosts and when someone commented that it was better than sex, I found myself nodding silently in agreement. Our 3rd day was spent riding mules in Imlil with Abdul, our berber guide. The trip itself was an eye-opener as to why the Berber at one point in time had conquered much of Morroco and still remain fiercely pride of their heritage. We were led on these magnificent animals up a short way up the slopes of the highest mountain in North Africa and was then treated to a traditional lunch. Abdul was a living testament to these hardy and resourceful people and literally carried my wife down the mountain when the going got a bit rough. Whatever you do, do not drink unbottled water anywhere in Morocco as I made this cardinal mistake here and suffered a monster tummy ache for the rest of the trip. This episode does not diminish my longing to go back very soon and at many points during my stay at the riad, thought to myself i could live here forever and frankly, I would not stay anywhere else except with Georgina and Massimo.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad le Clos des Arts? Share your experiences!