“Marrrakesh” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ryad Mogador Agdal

Save Saved
You added Ryad Mogador Agdal to your Saves list
Ryad Mogador Agdal
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route de l'Ourika | Zone Touristique Agdal, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #381 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Marrrakesh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A large but very comfortable, clean hotel. We had a spacious ground floor room with 2 big double beds, opening onto the lawn with views of the swimming pool. Staff very helpful, good choice of food at breakfast. There were not many European tourists there, but staff able to speak limited English, but French excellent. Taxi ride to main medina/tourist attractions - waiting outside. Should haggle, and if doing more than 1 thing it works out cheaper and less stressful to hire for the whole trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

327 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
Marmaris, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Currently on the last night of a 3 night stay [July 19th - July 21st] leaving the 22nd.

Read all the reviews but opted to stay here as the good seemed to far outweigh any bad and I have to say that we found this to be the case. We've been to Morocco 3 times now, the first time we stayed in a Riad in the City centre which I recommend highly.
The second time we stayed at a "true" 5 star resort - The Mazagan Beach Resort and Spa.

Here on our 3rd visit to Morocco we didn't want anything more than a swimming pool and a clean place to stay. This hotel ticked both boxes without issue. It was very quiet here with maybe 30-40 people in the hotel during the time we were here.

The POOL

As has been mentioned before, there are 2 massive swimming pools which we almost had to ourselves. They are very clean and well maintained. The sun loungers however are the most uncomfortable we've ever lied on. This was because the mesh of the bed sagged and you found yourself with the bars of the chair pressing into your back and shoulders. There were no full length cushions that you usually get on sun loungers and even 2 towels couldn't mask the uncomfortable feeling. A shame as the pool is very very nice.

THE HOTEL

As mentioned before, the hotel is a mere 10 minute taxi ride from the airport and as such is not near the centre but having stayed in the centre of town before we were not bothered.
The hotel is also very clean and our room was spacious. We feared that arriving at 9am in the morning would mean we had to wait around until at least midday to check in, but on the contrary we were given a room as soon as we arrived by Said at Reception who was very welcoming and hospitable. We checked in, dropped our bags and headed to the pool.
The hotel has missed a trick in its design however. The hallways are very dim and dark due to 2 things.
1. As it was/is low season they are obviously conserving energy and watching the light bill as only half the hallway lights were ever on.
2. What really lets the hotel down is its design. None of the natural sunlight is allowed into the hotel to brighten it up. Sunlight only comes into the bedrooms and being that everyone's room door is closed - none of this makes it to the hallway. There are no "breaks" between the rooms where an Archway could've been made say or a massive window to allow light in - but there it is.
A small thing really and by day 3 we had gotten used to the dim hallways.

The Wi-fi is strong around Reception and at The Pool and its free. We were told it wouldn't work in our first floor room but in fact it did (most of the time). I was given an Ethernet cable to use with my laptop whilst in the room (all rooms have a wired internet connection at the wall). Many of the restaurants in the Shopping centre seemed to have Wi-fi available too.

THE FOOD

We stayed here on a bed and breakfast basis and were so happy we did. Breakfast is a basic fare of different breads, bread rolls, sweet breads, and croissants, along with one style of yoghurt, eggs 2 ways (scrambled and hard boiled), something that looked like porridge, soup, a variety of conserves or jams for the breads, 2 mixed salads and some fruit in syrup. The only fresh fruit served was watermelon or melon - the rest of the fruit disappointingly obviously came out of a tin. The restaurant itself (they only opened the smaller restaurant) was drab and uninspiring - like the food.
We took a look at the buffet dinner the first evening we were there and was offered a meagre spread of soup, a vegetable tagine (cous cous and mixed vegetables), the same vegetables with the cous cous were then in a serving dish by themselves, potatoes with guess what - yep - more vegetables - grilled beef and a "fish from the Atlantic" in sauce with more vegetables. There were a variety of salads, sweet desserts and again tinned fruit. The buffet costs 200 MAD each - (£18) which is ok (I guess) if whats on display looks attractive but actually there were only 7 hot dishes and 3 of these were essentially the same vegetables served 3 ways.

All our meals were eaten at the local shopping centre - Almazar - where the Carrefour is.
This is at the most a 10 minute walk away.
The Carrefour is in the basement of the building and we grabbed some snacks there. Alcohol we had bought from Duty Free having read the previous reviews about the hotel being dry.

On the uppermost floor of the shopping centre is a food court with a number of restaurants / fast food places though most of these were not open. We guessed this was due to Ramadan.
Open establishments were Pizza hut Express - by far the busiest of all the places to eat, even the Moroccans were queuing up to order here . O'Burger, a Korean BBQ, A Grill house, coffee shop and Virgin Cafe which did tagines as well as the pasta, burgers, pizzas and chips that everyone else seemed to do.
Not open were a Thai, Italian and Lebanese restaurant which was a shame. O'Burger did several salads which my wife loved and had for lunch each day. A meal for 2 at any of these places cost between 100 MAD and 200 MAD altogether so much cheaper than the hotel.

Also worth noting is on the top floor of the Alamazar is a games centre of some kind with bowling, a kids soft play area with trampolines, air hockey games, video games and some other attractions so you could spend some time here if you had young children / early teens.

THE STAFF

Were very welcoming but also very quiet and more or less stay out of your way. As has been mentioned before they are not very good at anticipating your needs, you have to state what you want - when you want it and how. Example - I saw one young couple with a baby have to repeatedly ask for hot water to warm up their baby's bottle and never once was it offered in advance despite the obvious routine.
We seemed to be the only English speaking people in the hotel. The staff speak arabic and french and all the other patrons spoke french too. But I have nothing bad to say about the staff at all. They were very accommodating and helpful when called upon.

THE GYM

Soooooo, I'm a gym enthusiast and planned to hit the gym all 3 days I was there but managed once (I was on holiday after all). Saying that - I popped down one afternoon and was told by the lady at Reception that in future I needed to book in advance to use the gym. She said this with a straight face before taking out the gym schedule and writing my room number against the time slot I had arrived in. I wouldn't have minded if the hotel was busy but it was dead! The gym register had nobody else written in it for the entire week! Imagine an A3 sheet of paper with Room 1111 in the middle of it. It was the stupidest thing I had heard but this was then trumped by the Receptionist then saying that I only had 30 minutes to workout!!! The GYM WAS EMPTY! The hotel was EMPTY!!! Obviously common sense does not prevail and I was promptly run out of the gym after 40 minutes - which she made a point of telling me that I had been given 10 minutes extra. Unbelievable! Nobody else entered whilst I was there and nobody else likely has been for the month of July... The most silly policy and rule I have ever come across.
Anyway, the gym consists of 2 upright bikes, a recliner cycle, a treadmill, a cross trainer which creaked but I used, a squat machine (not bad), a really outdated pec deck machine and to my surprise a power plate machine. However the power plate you had to book a session on and they charged for you to use this. The pec desk machine required the adjustment of 3 different mechanisms to adjust the weight - never seen anything like it but I managed to use it.
There are no free weights of any kind, oh and there was one small gym mat.
They seriously need to review the usage policy though. 30 minutes... Unbelievable.

SUMMARY

Would we come again? Probably not. It was fit for purpose - we only wanted some guaranteed hot sun, a pool and great accommodation within 3-4 hours of flying distance from London. The hotel is not bad at all, I would definitely recommend it but as has been said in other reviews - just make sure you realise what is your booking as this is not a 5 star hotel. Its really a very good 3 Star. We gave it 3 stars out of 5 but in fact would give it 3.5 out of 5 (just no option to do so above). Also it's really not worth booking All Inclusive at all unless you're so lazy you just do not want go anywhere at all and have money to waste.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool is nice and not hard to get at all - at least in the off season. Also...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Got a last minute deal so had little idea of where we were staying, but we weren't disappointed. Hotel was spacious, spotless, comfortable. Our room (for 2) was huge - 2 showers and bidet in the bathroom, bed big enough for a family of 4! There very few people the week we were there (late June), only half the hotel seemed to be occupied; we had the use of one of two massive, beautiful pools which were very clean, and there were always loads of sunbeds. Food in the restaurant was buffet fare, but was very good and there was always plenty of choice. Staff are friendly, polite, helpful. You need to ask for the information you need, though; it isn't offered. Have a walk around and see what there is in the hotel: there's a tea room and a spa. I have to say, speaking French does help; we were the only English people in the hotel during the week we stayed. I can't speak highly enough of our hotel experience though; very, very relaxing.
The hotel is dry, so if you want/need booze, you'll have to pop along to the Carrefour in the nearby shopping centre and drink it discreetly in your room. Soft drinks and water are available in the hotel, but they are expensive. While we're talking money, don't forget the Moroccan hotel tax you're required to pay when you check out (in June 2013 it was about the equivalent of £40 for 2 of us for a week) - factor it into your holiday budget.
The Jemaa El F'naa is 3.5k away, which is do-able if you're walkers like us and don't mind the heat. We wandered into the city via the Kasbah, or through the jardins d'Agdal. Otherwise you're reliant on taxis. Agree the price first, or you might get ripped off. We started to walk on our first day and were hailed by a caleche (horse-drawn carriage); we negotiated with the driver and spent 180 dirham (less than 20 euros) on a delightful 2 1/2 hour ride around the medina with expert commentary from the driver, a native of Marrakech. Very well worth it and a delightful experience.
Marrakech is a wonderful, vibrant city. We'll probably stay in a riad in the city centre next time, good as this hotel was. But I can honestly say we had a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the interior of the hotel (ie the pool) - there is a very busy road along...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

More European style than Moroccan in décor. The room and bathroom were lovely and well air-conditioned. We had a small balcony overlooking the pool where a delicious breakfast was brought to us. The pool is huge! The only thing to keep in mind is that it is a bit far out from the touristic sites of Marrakech, so either have friends with a car or be ready to use a shuttle or taxi.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I went 4 days to Marrakesh and I decided to stay n Ryad Mogador Agdal! The worst decision of ever! First of all, the staff of front desk are really incompetent, eveyone told me a different information. The suttlebus that goes from the hotel to center of marrakesh and returns has 2 stops, no one in this hotel knows where is the stop exactly. Second of all, the first day my room was not made, to not talk about the amazing breakfast (ironic) that has birds inside the rooms. We date a tipical dinner which is 45€ per person, but no one told us that the beverage is not include and when we ask to the recepcionist he told us that they don't have to tell that information because we have to suppose and guess that the beverage(drinks) are not included, of course. Our fault!!
In the next day we asked a shaving kit and towels because since the first day we had no amenities and besides that no one cleaned the rooms and the next day they cleaned but forgot to put towels. So after asking twice for a shaving kit and some towels a housekeeper came to our room asking what did we want because no one understood.
When we were in the pool one of sun-umbrella fell into the pool,and two employees passed and none was able to get the hat pool or worry about it.
Maybe it was bad luck but I don't think so because we had a lot of bad moments only because of the terrible informations that the recepcionists gave us and the quality of service, of the food, etc. Do not correspond a 5 stars hotel, for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Herefordshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We are staying at the resort right now, and feel trip advisor reviews are quite unfair. It's a nice resort not brilliant but nice, staff are friendly enough, music pleasant by the snack bar. Peaceful, relaxing and only a few planes cross over in the whole day maybe no more than 4. However to our normally standard it's not what we are accustom to being 5 star. Breakfast is limited variety and the same eggs everyday, either bold or scrambled. It could really do with a lounge bar for the evening as if you wish not to venture out you really have nothing else to do. Great for families as lovely pools and nearby a shopping mall that will keep you all entertained for hours, well within walking distance and safe path for the kids to walk on. We feel that's its a pleasant break from the kids and work life and you should always try something once.

• Stayed April 2013
Peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a weekend here with friends. We got a very good deal on the stay but had I paid three times as much as we did I would still have been very pleased with it.

The hotel is huge, with two massive twin pool areas in its central courtyard. It is in typical low rise terracotta Marrakech style. It is 10 minutes from the medina by taxi and a similar distance from the airport. The medina run was 50Dh while the airport journey was 150 Dh.

The reception area is very large with a magnificent chandelier and domed roof which provides an impressive echo. All the rooms are very spacious although on our first night we were placed in one next to the busy and noisy main road into town. We asked to be moved and this was done without any fuss and we were given a pool-view room. Definitely worth requesting. The change was dramatic as it became very peaceful at night and the pool view is delightful. We had two queen-sized beds and a huge bathroom complete with large bath and two separate showers.

There was one evening meal included in our deal and we had it on our first night but it was typical buffet fare. OK but with so many great eateries in town I wouldn't recommend it. Breakfast was fine with plenty of choice.

The hotel seemed virtually empty during our stay as I assume we were out of peak season but the weather was great so it was lovely lazing quietly and undisturbed by the pool. The gardens are pleasant and well tended except that is for the islands in the middle of the pool. They were a mass of weeds. If I were management I would definitely sort that out.

One big word of warning about this hotel. It's dry. No bar, no wine at meal times and only non-alcoholic drinks at the pool bar. Unusual I think for large hotels in Marrakech. I don't think you need to be a craven alcoholic to find this a bit of a nuisance. There is a big sign in reception pointing out that it is forbidden to bring alcohol or snacks into the hotel. Naturally, I would not dream of suggesting that anyone buys such items at the Carrefour supermarket 10 minutes walk away and then discreetly consume them on their lovely balconies in the sunshine. That would be wrong and very naughty.The lunchtime menu at the pool bar was pretty good by the way.

In summary I thought this hotel was great although I could understand the wish to stay nearer to the heart of things in a traditional riad in the medina. This is more of a conference style property with little but the Carrefour shopping centre within walking distance. The lovely pool area however is a big plus

Room Tip: Always ask for a pool view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ryad Mogador Agdal? Share your experiences!