“Perfect Oasis and Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

You added Riad Safa to your Saves list
Riad Safa
64 derb Lalla Azzouna | Kaat Benahid, Médina, Marrakech 40030, Morocco   |
Ranked #79 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Perfect Oasis and Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I had been meaning to for a while write a review for Riad Safa - we stayed back in July 12 (before I was familiar with Tripadvisor) so this is quite overdue! However I wanted to say how wonderful this Riad was, along with our hosts and how our first trip to Marrakech was made so memorable. It's no surprise that for first timers Marrakech is quite a shock to the system! Entering Riad Safa for the first time was such a peaceful oasis, beautifully decorated and with such charm. Our room was great and the roof terrace with small Jacuzzi/splash pool came in handy for the very hot days! A lot of afternoons when the sun was almost unbearable were spent relaxing in the pool! We loved the attention to detail from the maps given to us on our arrival and tea/drinks to the wonderful breakfasts each morning - we truly felt spoilt! If the place was fully booked we wouldn't have realised as we had so much freedom in the Riad and almost felt like we had the place to ourselves.

We also loved Peggy and Kermit! If your looking to stay anywhere in Marrakech for an authentic experience with comfort and tranquility pick Riad Safa.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at 4 other riads during my time in Morocco and Riad Safa was by far my favourite. The riad is beautifully and tastefully decorated, as well as clean and a peaceful getaway from the medina. I always looked forward to the deliciously fresh breakfast every morning. Francoise was also extremely helpful, personable, and lovely to talk to.

My only wish is that I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Reading the other reviews, Riad Safa has been referred to many times as an oasis and they couldn't have more right.

We arrived in Marrakech in the evening after about 22 hours of travel and were exhausted but excited. Abdul met us at the shuttle dropoff (truly, spend the the 15 euros, it's totally worth it) with a wheelbarrow to cart our luggage to the riad. It was about a five minute walk to the riad and you'd never find it if you didn't have have someone to meet you.

The surrounding area is very hectic and once you get into the riad it's pure bliss. It's beautifully decorated so peaceful. Francoise met us and took us up to our room (Sumatra) and it was great. Then, and it's all kind of foggy since I was so exhausted, she upgraded us into the Lipari room which was bigger. Also a fantastic room.

Francoise had emailed me a few days and asked if we were interested in having dinner at the riad when we arrived. Another fantastic decision on our part since there is no way we ever would have been able to manage dinner that first night. (You will understand when you get there!) The dinner was several courses (all excellent) and included a bottle of wine and was 20 Euros per person. Dinner was served at a large table just outside our room so we were able to eat in our pajamas.

The next morning, and each morning after, we were served a most delicious - and different every day - breakfast. It was a lot of food and my favorite was the homemade yogurt and the cheesy eggs. Yum!

Our first day Francoise gave us a hand-drawn map that had more detail than a standard map. I don't even think the street that the riad is on is even listed on a map. She then personally walked us to the main square - Jemaa al Fna - which is where the souks, atms, etc. are. She also gave us her cell phone number in case we got lost or needed anything.

I've traveled quite a bit and found that Marrakech is a tough city. While everyone was kind, the food was great, and the USD stretched far, it's a very confusing city and I think we spent more than half our time lost. Which made coming back to the riad such a wonderful retreat. It is so peaceful and, yes, truly an oasis.

Many people have mentioned the call to prayer at 5 am. I heard it the first morning then slept through it each time thereafter. It's really not that bad.

Francoise went out of her way to make a trip wonderful. The other staff, Abdul and the cook (forgive me, I can't recall her name) were super friendly and welcoming.

I absolutely loved the Riad Safa and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Riad Safa was our peaceful oasis while we were in Marrakech. The riad is located in a very quiet street of the medina close to a mosque. The house is beautifully decorated and even if you have your private room you can enjoy different areas in the house to relax and have a nice glass of wine!
Our room was modest but comfortable. The bathroom was small but all necessities were available.
Every morning we had a very delicious breakfast served on the terrace. The lovely staff always prepared something different for us to try! Talking about staff they were all very nice and dedicated. A trip was organised for us to Ouarzazate and it was wonderful.
Finally, I recommend you to try the service of hamman & massage - a great way to feel rejuvenate after a hard day of shopping!!!
Yes, its located next to a mosque so at 5:30 am you will hear the prayer but its not too disturbing only very exotic.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Riad Safa was a dream. Marrakech is a complete assault on the senses, but the riad was so peaceful, clean, and had such a lovely atmosphere it was a joy to return here after hectic days in the medina.

Francoise was so helpful, arranging trips for us to the Atlas Mountains and the desert (which I would definitely recommend!) and arranging transport to and from the airport.
There is no way you could find the riad the first time without that person meeting you from the taxi and walking you to the riad. Marrakech is a maze of dark alleys with nothing to mark one from the next. Francoise drew us a detailed map so that we could easily navigate the medina.

We paid 20 euros each for a fantastic meal on the night of our arrival, which we were so grateful for as we would not have been able to find our way back in the dark if we'd gone searching for somewhere to eat.
The breakfast at the riad was gorgeous, and varied everyday. The rooms were immaculately clean and I just couldn't fault it.

The only personal reservation I have is that I opted for the most expensive room as it was our honeymoon. Looking at the other rooms, they were of equally high quality so I should've just booked one of those.

I would recommend this riad to anyone!! Just fantastic.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I would definitely recommend this riad. It had friendly and helpful staff, a lovely roof terrace with a plunge pool, great breakfasts. All in all a lovely riad located a 10 minute walk away fro the souks and the main square.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My fiance and I spent two nights here to begin our engagment trip to Morocco. Hotel staff (thank you Francois) helped arrange a transfer from the Casablanca airport before arrival, set up a great guide for us, and were incredibly helpful trying to track down our lost luggage (never fly TAP Portugal).

Upon arrival, the manager met us on the main road and guided us down a maze-like alley way to this little guest house. We were the only guest there for our whole stay- it was like having our own private house in Marrakech. We dined at Riad Safa our first night and the food was great. It is walking distance to all the souks, many restaurants, and all the sights in the city. There is a nice little pool on the roof next to the Hammam room. Everything was perfect at Riad Safa and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. The price is a bargain for the location, service, and quality. I hope to go back sometime.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple