“Beautiful road and helpful owners” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Safa
64 derb Lalla Azzouna | Kaat Benahid, Médina, Marrakech 40030, Morocco   |
Ranked #68 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Dunblane, United Kingdom
“Beautiful road and helpful owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here four nights in April 2013 and was delighted all-round. Jean-Michel and Frederic are exceptionally kind and helpful. They arranged a taxi from the airport (extra) and met me just around the corner from the riad. Upon arrival, I was served tea and shown a hand-drawn map of the area and given advice about how to get to Djemma el-Fna. (Note: the advice was great - I just couldn't follow it late at night and had to ask three separate people to help me get my way back. It's not easy the first time!)

My single room was really a double and had sufficient space. I had my own little terrace but didn't get to use it much as it rained two of the four days I was there - very unusual, I'm assured.

Breakfast up on the roof or in the living room was varied each day, with changing types of pancakes, natural yoghurts, bread/patisseries on offer, as well as different fresh fruit each day and freshly-squeezed OJ. Great stuff.

Although I didn't need help with this, I overheard J-M and F offering to buy other guests' bus tickets, car rental etc, which was very kind of them. I perhaps got the impression that they were trying to make commission on this, but that could be my mistake. On departure, I was told how/where to get a taxi and roughly how much I should offer - I was turned down by three cab drivers because of what I offered and ended up paying 5 times more than I'd been advised it would be, but it was still pretty reasonable compared to the UK!

All in all, a superb place to stay, where you'll be exceptionally well looked after.

Room Tip: They all looked great, but there is one room (begins with a 'c', I think) that has its own t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

dear Jean Michel, and Fredric
You have a beautiful Riad tranquil and serene.
such an oasis of calm in the middle of the hot and vibrant medina in old Marrakesh.
you made us feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble.
The food was excellent and Abdul (forgive me if I have misspelt the name) looked after us very well.
We had warmth and humour shared please let us come to stay again!!

Room Tip: All the rooms were good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We just got back from 3 nights in Marakech. Fun city, but the riad was great. Jean-Marie made our stay so much easier than it would have been and we felt at home from the moment we arrived. We highly recommend it. Would love to go back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Located close to one of the main tourist attractions in Marrakesh (Ali Ben Youssef Medersa) and not far from the tanneries. We booked for three nights here and ended up staying for six! Jean-Michel, Frederic, Said and their team were very knowledgable and could not have been more helpful. This peaceful riad has a lovely roof terrace, is very comfortable and serves a good breakfast. Just perfect. We also recommend you ask them to arrange the taxi to collect you from the airport as we would have struggled to find it on our own! Until the next time ...

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I celebrated her 30th Birthday by visiting Marrakech for four nights from 26th February to 2nd March. We chose this Riad based on Trip Advisor reviews and price and found it to be everything and more that people have said.

We were looked after very well by Kermit the Cat and Said while the owners were away. He showed us how to make mint tea, advised us on how much we should be paying in the Souks, would go with us to book taxis if we needed so we got Moroccan price not tourist price and organised us a trip to the Atlas Mountains through a tour company which was just a great day!

We took the offer of being met at the airport and were so glad when realised there was definitely no way we could have found it on our own in the first instance. It felt very welcoming to be met by Francois at the taxi drop off point. We ate dinner at the Riad on our first night which was lovely and booked to have a hamman and massage which is a must for a visit to Morocco!

We loved how authentic and personal the whole experience of staying at Riad Safa was and will definitely be returning soon!

Thanks Said and Kermit!
Best wishes from Lyndsay and Amanda xx

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This riad/B&B is well-located, reasonably priced, has helpful and knowledgeable staff, has a nice rooftop terrace, provides a good breakfast and is clean and comfortable. It had everything we were looking for and more.

Milnthorpe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Fantastic place to stay. Hosts and staff delightful people so kind, helpful and fun. The rooms are lovely and tastefully decorated in local style.
We had superb meals cooked for us and the driver who took us on a trip to the Atlas mountains was knowledgeable and great company.We would not hesitate to recommend Riad Safa for an excellent and convenient place to stay in Marrakech. As for Kermit the resident cat we miss you!!
Jean Michel and Frederik you are doing a great job long may your Riad remain a wonderful place for people to enjoy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Safa? Share your experiences!