“Really really really really really great!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Al Massarah

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Al Massarah
You added Riad Al Massarah to your Saves list
26 Derb Djedid | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40030, Morocco   |
Ranked #17 of 474 Hotels in Marrakech
Kuala Lumpur
“Really really really really really great!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I'm actually still sitting in the cozy dining room of Riad Al Massarah as I am writing this (so obviously free Internet). It couldn't wait. Why? Dessert!! The fruit kebab guys. Keep some room for the fruit kebab!!

Michael, I know you're reading me. As I expected, I couldn't finish dinner as delicious as it was. Thank you for arranging this! The chef came back twice for my dessert plate but I wouldn't let him have it until the 3rd time. Sorry, no leftovers for dessert! And dinner took longer than usual. I had to finish my dessert.

Riad Al Massarah is everything everybody said it is so I won't repeat it or we'll all start to sound like a broken record. I too did the "where the heck is he taking me?" to "WOW!" and Michael did spend a bit of time telling me what I must do and see in my 2 short days of leisure here. Everything is fantastic. Service is top notch. Now 2 nights ago, I stayed at a luxury hotel (for work) just a short walk away. That was nice. This is something special!!! That was a beautiful hotel. This is like home.... Enough said.

Someone said something about it being a long stressful walk from the Square. I don't think it's long at all. Chaotic? Well, this is Marrakesh after all. Ask Michael (or Michel...sorry we never met!) to show you the route through the Souks. I really enjoyed that walk...multiple times! All part of the experience! There can't be a better way.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Englishman abroad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Pass through the iron-bound door from the hot, bustling lanes and alleys of Marrackech into the profound tranquility of one of the most beautiful riads in this desert city. Al Massarah is a traditional merchant's house which has recently been restored to the highest standards of simple luxury by its new owners. Their attentive staff provide smiling and well trained service, whether a delicious breakfast on the roof terrace, dinner or evening sundowner.
The unlooked for bonus for a new visitor to Marrackech is the advice and help on where to go and what to do from the owners, Michel & Micheal. This ranges from a detailed knowledge of the range of shopping and where to eat in old and new town, to an impromptude visit by moped to the blacksmith's quarter of the Souk,(not a journey for the faint-hearted, there is at least one donkey cart driver who has yet to recover).
It would be very easy to spend the entire day relaxing at Al Massarah but those made of sterner stuff will return, hot, dusty, triumphant with exotic purchases gained by guile from the innocent traders of the Souk, to enjoy a shower, swim and tonic, with or without gin.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

My girlfriend and I have recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Riad Al Massarah but are longing to return.

The Riad is simply stunning. It is impossible to comprehend that the manic streets of Marrakech are just a few steps away whilst sipping on an ice cold G&T on the roof terrace of this beautiful hideaway. Michael and Michel's quiet attention to detail means that your ever wish is catered for...probably before you even made the wish!!

Not unlike most people on this site, I consider myself to be pretty well-travelled and therefore thought that I would be able to hit the ground running in Marrakech - I was wrong. Marrakech is an intensely exhilarating city where local knowledge and experience is a must to get the most out of your trip. Enter Michel and Michael. Both Michel and Michael strike the perfect balance between encouraging you to go out and explore the city for yourself whilst at the same time providing you with helpful hints and suggestions to keep you sane - we wouldn't have got half as much out of our trip without their guidance.

Can't leave out the staff - a fantastic team who go out of their way to make your stay a memorable one. We ate at the Riad on our first night and gushed about the meal for the rest of our stay - absolutely delicious.

In terms of location, I have no complaints. The Riad is a short stroll from the square - I looked forward to this walk everyday as it gave a different taste of Marrakech, away from the areas often frequented by tourists.

All in all, a fantastic experience in a great Riad!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Peterlee, County Durham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Well, how many more favourable reviews can Riad Al Massarah have? I had the pleasure to stay here in October 2009, and let me say, it is one of the nicest places that I have ever stayed in. The service from all of the staff was fantastic, and Michael and Michel must be the most pleasant owners of any establishment, anywhere. We were treated marvellously from outset, and absolutely, and without hesitation, I would recommend anyone to visit Marrakech, and to stay in Riad Al Massarah. Special event or just for a nice break, there is so much to see and do in Marrakech, despite the fact that we sometimes would have been just as happy to stay in the riad, as it was so nice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My partner and I travelled to Marrakech in June, for a combined Work/Holiday trip. It was also my partners 40th birthday.

The Riad was super from start to finish and the owners and staff made it a perfect trip.

Their tips about restaurants, markets and taxis were invaluable and it was just generally such a lovely atmosphere that we did not want to leave.

I loved the city and felt totally at home there (once we figured out the maze of streets) and one of my favourite experiences was the haman we had in the Riad on our last day.

The Riad was perfectly located, a stroll to the main square but we enjoyed being in a more local area with it's market.

I have to also mention the lovely food..we had a wonderful dinner and breakfast was always great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
England, West Mids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

Wow! what a fabulous place to stay, couldn't fault it. My Husband and i spent 4 nights at the Al Massarah, which was a special Birthday treat for me and i have to say it came very close to top of my treat list!! Michael and Michel(the owners) were charming, helpful and very informative. We chose to spend a day in the A tlas mountains which was arranged by Michael.It was a wonderful experience, would defintely recommend it.
As it was our first visit to Marrakech it was ideal to stay in a Riad which was so friendly.
Places to eat were recommended even though the food in the Riad was very good, it was nice to try other places. Breakfast on the terrace was lovely, loved the hats! every detail was just gorgeous!

Wendy Barry West Midlands.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

The urbane Michel and Michael were instrumental in making the stay perfect from the very beginning. We arrived at approximately 1.30 am after a delayed flight and lengthy queues in passport control and yet still there was the Riad's driver waiting, good naturedly, for us in arrivals. On arriving, we were then offered tea unhesitatingly, but instead opted for Scotch and Diazepam (self provided thank you).

The best way to describe this impressive Riad would be a stylish conglomeration of the best of Moroccan and European architecture and interior design - plushness, carved wood screens, maximisation of light, incredible 'wet' bathrooms with Starck (I think) fixtures, and quality pieces from the souks - without it being too 'Ibiza' (Hello Cafe Arabe, I'm looking at you) or tizzy zellij overload. We stayed in the Jade room and the other guys stayed in Carmin - probably Jade won out (barely) due to the semi-private terrace attached.

Special mention must go to the amazing breakfasts and lovely chef/waiter and commitment of the Riad to sustainable tourism and paying/treating their staff fairly.

In terms of location - it is a little bit of trek to the tourist areas of Marrakesh and in spite of the maps and perfectly clear directions (in theory), you will inevitably become hopelessly lost (which is highly recommended).

The value is great, really - although be careful with the extras. If you end up ordering 15 cocktails (per day) and a full session in the hammam: who is to blame there?

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Al Massarah? Share your experiences!