“It was an amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Merstane
13 Derb El Merstane, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #380 of 1,053 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Gloucestershire
“It was an amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

Having never visited a country like Morocco before we were apprehensive about what it work be like. It was an amazing and wonderful experience for us and all of our party who joined us. We were struck by the thoughtful restoration of the riad which made it a very comfortable place to stay. We called it our haven from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. The staff of the riad were so kind in helping us organise our days, giving us tips of what to do. We had great meals in the riad and out in the city
( and our stomachs were fine!!). We shopped in the crazy souks and visited the Atlas Mountains and the beautiful Jardin Majorelle. Our trip to a Hamman for mud baths etc was very memorable and well worth the cost. We have recommended our trip to many and we will return.

Stayed April 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

We stayed for 4 nights with my girlfriend in this lovely and beautifully kept riad. The riad itself has been nicely restored and its atmosphere is quite calm and relaxing. There we enjoyed of privacy as well as a great company from the owners and other guests.
It is located away from the noise and hustle of the Medina, in the heart of the old city which makes the experience pretty authentic. We were really happy we stayed here immersed into the medina culture rather than in one of the dull hotels outside the Medina (“the new city”), as we did in Fes.
When we arrived to the airport a taxi was waiting for us, from where he took us to the riad, while commenting the places we were driving through. At the riad we were very nicely welcomed by the staff and the English owners. Next morning they kindly gave us a first tour into the Medina which proved extremely useful. They are well informed, and therefore a continuous source of advice for our excursions in Marrakesh and its “surroundings” (the south, Essaouira, Ouarzazate).
With my girlfriend, we are planning to take my parents to Morroco and this riad is definitely the place we will choose while at Marrakesh!

• Liked — Calm, atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Just came back from Morocco and enjoyed every minute of our time in Marrakesh and were really pleased that we picked Riad Merstane for our stay. Travelling on a bit of a budget me and my girlfriend were going to stay in a hostel in Marrakesh but looking for something a bit more traditional but not too expensive (and put off by a recent experience in a pretty grubby hostel in tangier) we found Riad Merstane (through hip marrakech i think).
The interior was absolutely gorgeous, particularly the roof terrace even though I spent most of my time sat in the shade. A swimming pool would have been to die for but then again would probably raise the price above what we could afford.
The area around the riad had a bit more of a local feel to it, that I understand wouldn't be to everyone's liking, but we found quite friendly once you got over the general culture shock - i certainly found myself spoiling my appetite on food from the local square every time we passed through (but somehow managed to eat more later!).
The house manager was particularly helpful in helping to plan our onward journey to the Atlas mountains.
Would definitely stay here again and for longer if travelling back through Marrakesh.

• Liked — beautifully decorated and very traditional feeling
  • Disliked — no swimming pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Halesowen, West Midlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

I would advise against anyone booking to stay at the Riad Merstane. The riad itself is very pretty and relaxing, and the staff were helpful and pleasant, but the area of the Medina in which it is situated was very dodgy at night, making us feel unsafe. This is because the Merstane is located in the poor far northern part of the Medina and tourist accommodation is not commonplace in that area.

Our first bad experience occured just a couple of hours after arriving. As my (male) friend and I walked towards the Jemaa el Fna, a group of three lads decided to 'help' show us the way. We had a map with us and didn't really want their help, but we couldn't get rid of them as they kept following us so we went along with it. When my friend went to give the one lad some money to thank him, he threw it down on the ground and cursed - saying "[--] your mother!" to be precise - as apparently we hadn't given him enough! As we walked away his friends then proceeded to lift my skirt up and laughed. It was a horrible experience and we both felt really angry and disgusted.

We also had a bad experience returning to our accommodation on our second night there. We arrived back at around 11pm by taxi from the main square. As we started the walk back to our accommodation we noticed that there were local men lurking in doorways, staring at us and then attempting to get our attention as we walked past. We ignored them and carried on walking. We then noticed a young lad of about 10 years old cutting up a cardboard box with a large knife. As we walked past he put the knife straight into the air and spoke to us in Arabic. He may have been making a joke but we shall never know, not speaking Arabic. A couple of men then caught our eye and started following us, along with two lads playing football who wanted to know if we needed directing to the riad - we didn't. The next thing we knew the football had been kicked into my friend's back and a woman appeared telling the boys off. We carried on walking and got back to the riad in one piece. This was the last straw and that night we decided to check out the next day. We ended up staying at the Hotel Oudaya in Gueliz, which was a relief to be honest, as we felt much safer in the new part of the city amonst other tourists.

All in all, I certainly could not recommend staying at the Riad Merstane due to the awful location and vile, unfriendly, intimidating local people. A shame really.

• Liked — The decor and rooftop terrace
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
shimmin2robertson, manager at Riad Merstane, responded to this review, July 26, 2007
As the manager of Riad Merstane and a 6 year resident of Marrakech I feel I must point out that this review is really nothing to do with our Riad but seems to me to give an example of someone who didn't research Marrakech very well before visiting. Anyone who is looking for a "safe" holiday in Marrakech surrounded by other tourists obviously needs to stay in the new town and only venture into the medina with a guide or group. Riads in the medina are mostly down little alleys (derbs) and Moroccan culture dictates that men and boys meet in the streets to smoke and chat as the women don't encourage socialising in the home! We have had many happy guests who have appreciated being in "real" Marrakech and experiencing a very different culture more closely but still having the sanctuary of a lovely, peaceful place to come home to after all the bustle of Marrakech.

David Robertson
leicester england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

I stayed here for three days. This was my first visit to Marrakesh. Prior to going I was quite apprehensive. I am a 61 yr old woman and travelled alone.The Riad is beautifully restored and very comfortable. The English owners and Manager are extremely helpful, very well informed and very good company. With their help I had the most wonderful time in Marrakech. They have a very good cook too! The price is very reasonable. I was so happy I am going back in September with my daughter.

Stayed February 2007
Staffordshire, England, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

We found this property through the much-used Alastair Sawday guides (--). I wanted to stay in a high-end Riad with a pool, my wife wanted to go for something more 'cost-effective'. She won ... and I'm glad she did as we didn't want for anything.

This is not 5-star luxury in the usual sense of the word - and the rooms are not quite the largest available from Riads in Marrakech - but the hospitality shown by Rashida (the Berber maid and cook), David (the Scottish hotel manager), Omar the affiliated taxi driver, the owner (in London) Alan, and all those who popped in during our visit, was of the highest order and more than make up for something as inane as room size. Even if we couldn't communicate directly!

The courtyard is pretty and functional, the living areas well-stocked with games and books - one even has a CD player and a reasonable selection of music - the top-floor terrace gives a reasonable view of the Medina and the Atlas Mountains (and provides a great place for breakfast/lunch/dinner), whilst the entire Riad oozes the relaxed air one requires after a day at Place Djemaa el Fna and the Souk(s). And Alan has kindly left a superb selection of travel guides for Marrakech, including Lonely Planet, Time Out and National Geographic, together with some maps (not that they're much use once you're immersed in the alleys!).

The downside: it's a little tricky to find your way back to the Riad from the Souks or the main square - just head toward Bab Tagzhout and it's relatively easy from there (but beware the school-kids at 18:00 offering to help you find your way and the Petit Taxi who will only drop you at Bab Tagzhout) - but getting lost is all part of the fun ... just make sure you leave yourself an extra hour some nights!

Oh, and the alleys leading up to the front door don't always smell the best! But that's Marrakech for you really: new sights, sounds, smells - all the senses are tested.

The fact that the Riad is not right in the middle of everything (it's to the North of the Medina) is actually an advantage: it's a peaceful oasis after a hard day's bargaining and forces you to take in more than you would normally of Marrakech! Lazy you cannot be ... nor do you want to!

Take Omar up on his morning tour of the main tourist attractions if you're only in Marrakech for a short while; at 200 Dirham, it's a steal and fits everything in.

And let Rashida cook you her lamb with prunes and almonds or, to be honest, anything else she offers to cook you: her tajines are memorable and the starters so fresh: good, honest, Moroccan food ... and exceptional value-for-money! We didn't use a restaurant once for an evening meal! And who'd have thought Moroccan wine (red) could taste so fine?

My wife, 3-year old and I stayed in the Amber and Jasmine rooms - the former has a bath, the latter is extremely tastefully decorated in relaxed greens - both are perfectly acceptable and traditionally attired.

The whole place is all you're led to believe Marrakech has to offer ... and more. Well worth a visit. Coupled to discounted flights from the UK right now, 3 nights' stay for 3 can be yours for less than £300. Now that's what I call a bargain!

Firmly recommended!

• Liked — The hospitality.
  • Disliked — The alleys leading up to the Riad.
  • Tips/Secrets — Prepare to do a lot of walking!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

In the north of the medina well away from all the tourist this little riad was an oasis of calm.The interior is simple and beautiful,what I would define as 'shabby chic' not too perfect but stylish and charming.There are four rooms and two salons with a roof terrace to relax on.The breakfast was simple and filling and the manager from scotland charming and a wealth of infomation.
We could not have chosen a nicer place for our romantic week away,if you want to have privacy and enjoy a simple ,pretty but comfortable stay this is the perfect place I cannot recommend it enough.

• Liked — the pretty courtyard and very comfortable bed!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Riad Merstane? Share your experiences!