“An Oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #156 of 1,148 Marrakech B&B and Inns
China at Large
“An Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We just had a wonderful two-day stay in Riad Alaka. We actually liked the location being in a genuine not touristy neighborhood. We felt very welcome. The room was very comfortable and beautifully decorated. Very quiet. Breakfast was good. Aziz, Malika and Soufiane were exceptional. There is a great terrasse with a hamman and a jacuzzi. We highly recommend this riad.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

We stayed at Riad Alaka for 5 nights over weekend of Dec 3/4 2011. Aziz, Soufiane & our delightful maid were absolutely superb. Made us feel very at home and happily adjusted to anything we could ever want or request with the happiest of demeanors. Nothing was too much trouble.
We were two girls and the Riad is right near Bab Doukkala so is about 15 mins walk to Jenaa El Fnaa. We always tended to walk the main road and that was fine - only times we were nervous was when we walked via the souks in the dark. That tends to be where you get harrassed. (just dont ever accept directions as they will walk you there and it all ends badly unless you pay some money) If you are worried, just grab a cheap cab to the Bab Doukkala (the gate near the riad) and its a 2 minute walk to the Riad from there. Never had a problem via that short walk.
The food at the Riad is superb (especially breakfast on the roof top) and the beds are so comfortable with lovely fresh white clean sheets. Rooms can be made so dark that you arent even aware its daylight! Showers are brilliant with lots of warm water.
Didn't get to try the jacuzzi or hamam or a massage but the facilities were lovely and clean.
Really recommend this.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Looked after very well by the charming Aziz. All the rooms were lovely. As we were the only guests one night we saw them all. A little chilly as the weather was dreadful and reading lights are needed. The most comfortable beds ever! Slept beautifully. Had a triple room on the first floor which was very spacious. I think it was 'Marrakech' but all the rooms looked great.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Riad Alaka is very beautiful, our room (Meknès) was gorgeous, very clean and spacious. It's about a 20 min. walk from the main attractions in the medina so if you're planning your stay around the souks and Jemaa el-Fnaa just ensure you know your way back because getting lost in the medina at night can be an "interesting" experience!! Unfortunately, the owners were away when we stayed in October. The service was extremely poor, the person who greeted us simply made us sign our papers and did not bother explaining any of the amenities or what the local attractions were even after asking.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Stayed for 10 days in this Riad with my brother. My first time in Morocco. The service we received from Aziz, Soufiane, Malika and Hassna was first class, nothing was too much trouble. Francoise the manager was very hospitable and made sure we were happy. They have to be the friendliest people I have ever met when I have been travelling to various hotels. I have been fortunate enough to visit many 5 star hotels around the world on business, and this truly did feel like home away from home.. Breakfast was all freshly prepared, and was more than enough to fill me up The Moroccan tea is amazing. The riad offers a lovely jacuzzi, hammam which is well needed after a stroll in square. I would have no hesitation in recommending this riad to anyone, close to djemm el fnaa, majorelle gardens, the place, riad is about 20mins from airport and Riad offers airport pick up which I recommend or you will never find it. I recommend this riad for all types of people from children to adults. I will definitely be staying here on my return to Marrakech

• Stayed October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
san isidro de heredia costa rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I spent 10 days at the Riad Alaka in Marrakech late last month and would like to say it was a great experience, overall. While my sister and I were the only guests there for most of the time, we had amazing personal service from the staff of 3-Aziz, Malika, and Soufian. The first morning after our arrival(picked up by a taxi from the airport and driven directly to the parking area close to the entrance to the neighborhood of the hotel) Aziz took us on a personal walk to the medina and showed us the post office, restaurants, and where to get taxis, if needed. The riad itself is beautifully decorated in typical Moroccan style, and Malika kept it all completely spotless and the mosaic tile bathrooms perfectly stocked! One drawback is the high price (20 euro) of meals. The "free full breakfast" consists of coffee brewed during the night and left standing, bread, tiny cheese triangles on lucky mornings, and sometimes, OJ. It is very advisable to speak French and/or Arabic to make yourself fully understood by the staff! I was amazed that the entire staff including Francoise, the manager, paid such great attention to me and my sister as the latter took ill and had to spend 4 days at the Polyclinique in the New Town. Not only did they offer to accompany me to the hospital, but also helped translate with the cardiologists(I speak English, German and Spanish, but unfortunately no Arabic and little French...) Malika gives a wonderful gromage and steam bath in the roof terrace for only 12 euros! It took several days to get the jacuzzi cleaned and heated, but once this was done it was a pleasure to enjoy! The personal attention I received was unique, given my circumstances, of course, but the staff showed similar attention to other arriving guests. The AC in the rooms was most welcome, since I found it extremely "sticky" and muggy in the rest of the riad. Too bad there are no ceiling fans, then AC would not be necessary! Free WiFi is available, but only via a router in the front area, and not on the terrace. As I was a woman alone due to my sister's illness, I was the target of some unwanted attention during my trips to the medina and souks. The aggressiveness of the vendors is a bit unnerving. Come prepared to haggle, as some of them offer outlandish prices-so check around first and then return armed with some knowledge of the worth of what you want. All in all, a relaxing stay in this delightful riad!

Room Tip: if possible, ask to see the rooms first! There are seven, each original in decor and size! They are...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

My daughter and I stayed in this beautiful Riad for seven nights. It has been beautifully restored by the owner Jean Luc who we had the pleasure of meeting on our first night. The Riad is very beautiful and furnished to a very high standard. Comfort is clearly the aim and is certainly achieved from the rooms through to the plunge pool in the central courtyard to the roof tearrace complete with Jacuzzi. We were encouraged to treat the Riad as 'our home'. However for me a home has to have a heart and the heart of Riad Alaka is without doubt the truly wonderful staff. Azziz, Soufian and Malika were the Gems of this holiday. Nothing was ever too much trouble and they showed my daughter and I the kindness, concern and consideration that you would show family. They were on hand to prepare our breakfast at whatever time we woke, answer our many queries and meet our every need. Azziz is the most wonderful chef and will even provide a cookery lesson. No need to seek such an experience elsewhere in Marrakesh. The same applies to a hammam - there is one in the Riad and Malika provides an excellent service with a masseuse who will can be arranged if you request one. Soufian stays at night - so we felt safe at all times. As female travellers we had nothing but a positive experience in Marrakesh. The people were welcoming and generous - hearted. We walked around the square at night and then back to the Riad feeling completely safe. Shopping in the souks was a great experience - make sure you have adequate baggage allowance! My advice to anyone thinking of travelling to Marrakesh is have no fear ,chose this Riad you will not be disappointed. We will return - hopefully many times. Jean Luc if you read this - you are blessed to own such a beautiful Riad but even more blessed to have such a perfect staff. Thank you Azziz, Soufian and Malika

Room Tip: All beautifully furnished to high standard
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family