“All you could wish for in Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Charkia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Dar Charkia
You added Dar Charkia to your Saves list
50 Derb El Halfaoui | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40 030, Morocco   |
Special Price
25% SPECIAL WINTER OFFER
Ranked #4 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
WEST MIDS
“All you could wish for in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

After reading great reviews on tripadvisor we booked Dar Charkia for 5 nights. We were not dissappointed ... from the second you walk through the door you know your stay @ Dar Charkia is going to be wonderful. It is a very peaceful & romantic retreat from the outside world. Our room opened out onto the pool where you can enjoy breakfast. Lisa, Michael & all the staff were very friendly & made you feel @ home. They gave us some great recommendations for restaurants, guides, shops, barbers & spas which Lisa booked for us before we arrived leaving us with no hassels & just time to relax & enjoy. We would highly recommend the Dar Charkia & will certainly return again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We were made to feel as if Dar Charkia was our home. Lisa, Michael, Abdu and the staff were warm and helpful in planning days and outings. The Dar was relaxed and comfortable. The breakfasts were outstanding and could be taken either on the rooftop overlooking the medina, in your room or in the courtyard. Mint tea was served whenever we requested it. The rooms were decorated very tastefully in Moroccan style. An outstanding Riad!!!!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Arriving after midnight on a Thursday evening we were welcomed by a charming member of staff, Abdu, who even at such a late hour was happy to show us a tour and open up the roof terrace.
The room was superb, and following a great sleep we awoke to a breafast that more than set us up for the day ahead.
Lisa really IS as great a host as these posts confirm. The welcome brief and her (incredibly valuable) tips on places of interest were a dream for 1st timers in Marrakech.
We had booked a number of restaurants that she had suggested and every one was a winner!
I can not praise highly enough the standard of food and staff at Dar Charkia. While we ate at some fabulous places, the dinner we had at the riad eclipsed them all.

My only huge disappointment was that as they are so popular (and due to my last minute booking) I was unable to stay there for the whole of my stay.

Lastly, for the best shopping experience I would urge anyone to take a shopping tour with Lisa. I had a wonderful few hours and really felt that I was getting the best quality items at the best prices due to the realtionship Lisa has with the traders I visited. I had some fantastic jewellery made from a shop she recommended that I will treasure.

Without a doubt, I recommend Dar Charkia and I am determined to be back for a longer stay before the summer.

Kempen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

I stayed at Riad Dar Charkia with my two teenage sons, we chose it from the bewildering choice available because Lisa (The owner along with michael) responded to our questions quickly and efficiently, something many other Riads don't.
We were not disappointed.
Riad Dar Charkia is clean, cosy and beautifully equipped, and the owners do all they can to help their guests enjoy their stay.
Our suite was large and had a lovely big shower, it overlooked the courtyard which is the focal point of the Riad. There are many books, games and other items to amuse should you need a break from the hustle and bustle outside. For me the only slight drawback was a tendancy to play pop music in the courtyard- I prefer to listen to the fountain, but then again maybe I'm in a minority, and you can always turn it down or off, as I did.
Breakfasts are leisurely and excellent quality, and the staff will prepare any special items on request, the timing of breakfast is also very relaxed.
The tour guide Marco is very knowledgeable and well worth the extra money, and the owners readily supply any information required to make a stay more enjoyable.
All in all very highly recommended!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

My wife, Daughter and I flow to Morocco on "Easy Jet" from Madrid and the flight was very smooth.
Lisa arranged for a a chauffeur to wait for us at the airport with a sign with our name on it; the cost for this service is 150 dirhams payable directly to the driver. We were able to exchange money right at the airport.
The airport was very clean and we moved thru immigration very quickly.

The drive from the airport to Dar Charkia is about 20 minutes. Lisa Michael and their staff welcomed us upon arrival and offered us cold drinks and sweets. Then Lisa proceeded to provide us with a useful briefing on what we should expect and what to consider doing while we are there.

Our room was on the second floor and it was specious and tastefully decorated. The only recommendation I have for the room is to put a curtain on the bathroom door, as the door is glass and provides no real privacy, especially when you have kids.

Our first venture outside was a walk to Jemaa el Fna which is 15 minutes away from the Dar and we spent couple of hours there. It is definitely a sight to see but the vendors are very pushy and persistent. Then we took a horse carriage ride around the old city, which was Ok, but we felt it was too long and my daughter was feeling really bad for the horses who were whipped every couple of minutes.

Dinner on our first night was @ El Fassia restaurant - www.alfassia.com This restaurant exceeded our expectations and the food, service and ambiance were prefect. Complete dinner was 800 Dirham. Make reservations, as the place gets very busy.

On the second day we walk up very early @ 5:00am for a Hot air Balloon flight over Marrakech and that was awesome and a once in a life time experience. Maurice, the founder of Ciel d'Afrique's Balloon Company is a great pilot and it was a pleasure spending time with him. Maurice picked us from the Dar and drove us in a 4WD vehicle to the take-off site. There was another family participating in the flight with us and it was a pleasure spending time with them as well. The flight lasted about 45 minutes and we had to cut it short because of the strong wind. After landing we headed to have a light meal at a local home at the nearby villages; then returned by off-road tracks to the hotel around midday.

We had a nap at the Dar and then left to the market for a shopping excursion. Prepare your self to haggle like crazy because every shopkeeper asks for 5 times the final selling price. This could be fun if you like this kind of stuff.

We had Dinner at Café Arabe www.cafearabe.com. However, the food and service were very poor.

The following days we had a day long trip planned with our guide Marco to the Ourika valley at the foot of famous skiing resort of Oukaimden. The valley rises to the hills of the high Atlas and we visited beautiful waterfalls and sceneries. We had lunch on the way and we enjoyed our day immensely.

Dinner was at Dar Charkia (350 dirham per person) the food was generally good but it was too much and I felt bad that I had to waste good food because I just could not eat anymore.

Our Dinner menu was as follows;
Starter: Carrot, cumin and coconut soup/Chicken soup with dumplings/Tapas a la maison
Main course: Couscous with chicken and caramelized onion/Lamb tagine with artichokes and peas/Lemon chicken tagine
Desert: Tarte au pommes/Baked fruit with marscapone/Tiramisu.

Breakfast is a treat at Dar Charkia and we were looking forward to it every morning.

On our final Day we left the Dar at 10:30 and arrived at the airport for our flight back to Madrid.

Thank you Lisa and Michael and We look forward to visiting you Dar again in couple of years.

NYNYforever81, Owner at Dar Charkia, responded to this review, March 29, 2009
Dear Hesham,
We have noted your comment about the bathroom door and are always receptive to constructive criticism - we have already attached a lovely embroidered curtain there so that when there are clients other than couples using the room there is total privacy in the bathroom.
My staff and I love cooking and part of the hospitality of Dar Charkia is generosity in all forms! So I can only appologise to you for the "large" portions but we do have lots of customers who finish every last morcel and we have a handicapped home that gets no support from the state near us which we support and when we make a couscous, we make a bit extra for them etc, so do not worry about good food going to waste - it never does here!
All the best and looking forward to hosting you again in the future.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed at Dar Charkia for 3 nights in the Khmissa Suite. As the previous reviewers mentioned, the riad is fantastic. Our room was beautifully decorated, bed was comfortable and best of all there was the huge bathroom that had bright lighting. Wi-fi downstairs is great - the fastest we experienced in Morocco. Lisa and the staff at Dar Charkia are friendly and so helpful with everything. All of Lisa's restaurant recommendations were fantastic - dont miss Al Fassia for dinner. If you are a discerning shopper and short on time, I suggest you schedule a shopping excursion with Lisa. She will point you to the vendors who have the stuff thats of good value and a cut above the rest in quality. I picked up some great, authentic beaded jewelry through a reputable jeweler of hers. Beware, there is alot of jewelry in the souks that is plastic beading or fake coral. I learned the hard way before arriving to Marrakech and bought some fake stuff - similar to what I then saw in Marrakech.

Dar Charkia is really a true gem.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Two minutes walk from the local taxi rank (and not down really dark alleys like another riad we visited!) this riad is gorgeous. I felt as if I’d walked into a Vogue fashion shoot, everything from the piles of embroidered cushions on your beds, to the handmade cinnamon soap in the glorious shower, were absolute luxury. Every corner has beautiful things to look at, and the staff are really friendly. Make sure you eat at the Riad for at least one meal. The food is the best we had anywhere in Marrakesh, beautifully presented and delicious. Do not miss the lychee lemonade, and the tagine baked fish with morrocan spices.
But the best thing about the Riad is its owners, Lisa and Michael. As a woman traveller, I was a bit nervous about wandering the streets of the old city. On arrival, Lisa sat us down with a cup of mint tea and talked through the whole city, gave us advice on local manners, where to go, what to avoid, and tailored it to what we really wanted from the trip. I had a fantastic time, and will be recommending it to all my friends!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Charkia? Share your experiences!