“The jewel in the crown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Charkia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Dar Charkia
Save Saved
You added Dar Charkia to your Saves list
50 Derb El Halfaoui | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40 030, Morocco   |
Special Price
20% SPECIAL FALL OFFER
Ranked #4 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Bramhall
“The jewel in the crown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Wow what a find.!! We were met at the airport by our transfer without a hitch. Arriving at the drop off point we were guided to our Riad down a few dark alleyways and we both wondered where we were being taken.On arrival at the front door we were warmly greeted and walked from the chaotic street into paradise.
It was stunning and much more than and photograph could say!
We had decided to have a meal in the Riad on arrival and it was beautiful .We both had tapas and chicken and lemon tagine gorgeous and recommended we washed this down with a bottle of red wine Bonaister(I think it's called) yum yum.
We had booked the Douria suite and this exceeded all our expectations large airy beautifully decorated air con and kingsized bed. Bathroom fully equipped with every detail cotton wool pads tissues you name it it had it! The room looked like something from a magazine !!
After a good night sleep we went down to a breakfast of breads croissant yoghurt and fresh fruit jams English tea freshly squeezed orange juice and
a savoury dish different each day.
Shortly after breakfast we were delighted to meet Lisa and Michael the owners. Lisa gave us the low down on Marrakech with a hand scribed map. Wow she knows her stuff.
We ventured out and got lost along with all the other map holders but eventually followed our nose and found the main square.
I couldn't fault dar charkia in any way. The staff are excellent nothing too much trouble and the place world class. We shall definitely return

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My family and I spent a few nights at Dar Charkia in October; I've always been wary of trusting TripAdvisor reviews and hence booked the riad with slight apprehension. This only increased when we we reached the drop off point and were lead through some narrow back streets. Who knew that behind the unassuming front entrance was this little gem of a riad!
Intimate, luxurious, peaceful, the list goes on. Particular mention has to go to the amazing staff who were so friendly and welcoming, nothing was too much trouble. Lisa and Michael have created an atmosphere which feels like a home away from home :) Lisa also helped organise our stay in the mountains and our tour of Marrakech, we felt thoroughly looked after! A massive thank you to everyone there who helped make our holiday so perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Herefordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Through the narrow alley ways of the Medina in Marrakesh and through the door of Dar Charkia and you enter in to a little slice of heaven. This was the third visit that my wife and I have made to this delightful riad and if it is possible this time it was even better. The decor is delightful and one would be justified in assuming that it was put together by a really top interior designer. The staff are incredibly helpful, and friendly but also really efficient. Their standards of service are impeccable but most importantly they are really nice!
The breakfasts are really special: every day something different, beautifully presented, delicious mix of Moroccan and continental.
Lisa and Michael are wonderful hosts - they will go to any length to make one's stay in Morocco a wonderful experience - they can arrange the best restaurants, the best expeditions, the most interesting places to visit and their knowledge is encycopaedic. They also arrange guides and drivers who are trustworthy and friendly.
My wife and I are fortunate to have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world. Dar Charkia is up there amongst the very best in providing a really great holiday experience.
We could not recommend Dar Chakia more strongly!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Beckenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Recently spent three nights at this lovely riad - great location and beautifully presented - and would definitely recommend it as a haven of peace away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The owners, Lisa and her husband, Michael, were fantastic hosts - nothing was too much trouble and their knowledge of Marrakech was amazing. The staff, in particular Samira and Said, were brilliant and looked after us superbly. Would love to revisit one day!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My family and I stayed at Dar Charkia for 3 nights, following short stays in both Agadir and the Atlas Mountains.

When we arrived at the drop off point and saw the small side streets leading to the Riad, we all looked at each other with a look of worry! However, once you enter Dar Charkia you feel as though you have stepped into a Palace. It is absolutely beautiful! We were greeted by Little Samira who offered us mint tea and biscuits. She gave us a copy of Lisa's famous annotated map - the only guide you need to get around Marrakech.

The rooms are unique - each with their own theme and well equipped with all you need (including bathrobes and even cotton buds!!).

The breakfast is equally unique - everyday we were offered something different. The Moroccan pancakes with jam were a particular favourite :-).

Finally the service is second to none. Lisa & Michael and their team (Said, Little/Big Samira, Nadia and Zaira - sorry for spelling!) are the most welcoming hosts and made our stay very special.

The holiday was perfect and I cannot recommend Dar Charkia enough. It really is a Jewel, hidden in a bustling city! I just can't wait to book my next visit there....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I first stayed at Dar Charkia about six years ago. Prior to the trip I did thorough research since I wanted to be sure I stayed in an excellent place that met all my requirements - gorgeous decor, great location, size etc.

Dar Charkia did not disappoint on any level. It is absolutely gorgeous and the owners Lisa and Michael are incredibly warm and helpful. Their staff was equally as amazing.

I just returned back again and it was exactly the same as I remember. The service was wonderful and the food was incredible - much better than other upscale riads I have stayed in.

I can say firsthand this is a very special place and unequivocally my favorite place. The value for the money is excellent.

This will always be my first choice and cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

What more can I say that hasn't already been said?? I'll give it a try to help you decide:

I found it very interesting seeing the enormous and extremely luxurious hotels that are all around the fringes of Marrakech and thought to myself that while six star hotels are amazing, the friendliness and service that we had in Dar Charkia was the best I've had out of all the places I've ever stayed.

Which is not to say that the service is only the good aspect, staying at Dar Charkia is like staying in the luxurious home of a VERY rich friend, but with peace and privacy as well.

Another major bonus of Dar Charkia over the hotels that are out of town, is that you are just a couple of minutes walk from the souks and everything else that amazing Marrakech has to offer.

However, if you are after the sort of holiday where you don't leave the 'compound', those big hotels might be right for you. Though you certainly wouldn't have a problem spending a lot of time within the walls of Dar Charkia!

Our room was enormous, richly decorated and had plenty of room and furniture for lounging around.

The downstairs courtyard is a magical place, during the day for its tranquility, cool and relaxing atmosphere; at night it is like a sultan's palace courtyard with the lanterns in the orange tree lit and the glow from the alcoves around the courtyard.

The lounge area off the courtyard is extremely comfortable and has no shortage of books, games and CDs.

The rooftop terrace is a great place to sit and watch the sun come up while hearing the stirring morning call to prayer, or once the sun is up, to relax on a sun lounger, read a book or just chill out on the lounges in shade of the arabic styled open-sided tent.

The food is second to none (literally some of the best in town) and I highly recommend having lunch and/or dinner in. Everything we had was fantastic - I don't think you can go wrong with a menu choice.

Marrakeck itself can be a little overwhelming and it was fantastic to have a personal tour with Najib of the souks, the museum and the old university. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

I also highly recommend the Lalla Takarkouste Lake and Imlil Valley day trip, Abdul was a fantastic and safe driver and guide and we must have taken hundreds of photos!

Lastly I'd like to add a warm 'thank you' to Lisa, Samir and Sayeed who all made our stay a life-time memory.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Charkia? Share your experiences!