“Great Riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Charkia

You added Dar Charkia to your Saves list
Dar Charkia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Derb El Halfaoui | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40 030, Morocco   |
Ranked #9 of 490 Hotels in Marrakech
Beckenham, United Kingdom
“Great Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Recently spent three nights at this lovely riad - great location and beautifully presented - and would definitely recommend it as a haven of peace away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The owners, Lisa and her husband, Michael, were fantastic hosts - nothing was too much trouble and their knowledge of Marrakech was amazing. The staff, in particular Samira and Said, were brilliant and looked after us superbly. Would love to revisit one day!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My family and I stayed at Dar Charkia for 3 nights, following short stays in both Agadir and the Atlas Mountains.

When we arrived at the drop off point and saw the small side streets leading to the Riad, we all looked at each other with a look of worry! However, once you enter Dar Charkia you feel as though you have stepped into a Palace. It is absolutely beautiful! We were greeted by Little Samira who offered us mint tea and biscuits. She gave us a copy of Lisa's famous annotated map - the only guide you need to get around Marrakech.

The rooms are unique - each with their own theme and well equipped with all you need (including bathrobes and even cotton buds!!).

The breakfast is equally unique - everyday we were offered something different. The Moroccan pancakes with jam were a particular favourite :-).

Finally the service is second to none. Lisa & Michael and their team (Said, Little/Big Samira, Nadia and Zaira - sorry for spelling!) are the most welcoming hosts and made our stay very special.

The holiday was perfect and I cannot recommend Dar Charkia enough. It really is a Jewel, hidden in a bustling city! I just can't wait to book my next visit there....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I first stayed at Dar Charkia about six years ago. Prior to the trip I did thorough research since I wanted to be sure I stayed in an excellent place that met all my requirements - gorgeous decor, great location, size etc.

Dar Charkia did not disappoint on any level. It is absolutely gorgeous and the owners Lisa and Michael are incredibly warm and helpful. Their staff was equally as amazing.

I just returned back again and it was exactly the same as I remember. The service was wonderful and the food was incredible - much better than other upscale riads I have stayed in.

I can say firsthand this is a very special place and unequivocally my favorite place. The value for the money is excellent.

This will always be my first choice and cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

What more can I say that hasn't already been said?? I'll give it a try to help you decide:

I found it very interesting seeing the enormous and extremely luxurious hotels that are all around the fringes of Marrakech and thought to myself that while six star hotels are amazing, the friendliness and service that we had in Dar Charkia was the best I've had out of all the places I've ever stayed.

Which is not to say that the service is only the good aspect, staying at Dar Charkia is like staying in the luxurious home of a VERY rich friend, but with peace and privacy as well.

Another major bonus of Dar Charkia over the hotels that are out of town, is that you are just a couple of minutes walk from the souks and everything else that amazing Marrakech has to offer.

However, if you are after the sort of holiday where you don't leave the 'compound', those big hotels might be right for you. Though you certainly wouldn't have a problem spending a lot of time within the walls of Dar Charkia!

Our room was enormous, richly decorated and had plenty of room and furniture for lounging around.

The downstairs courtyard is a magical place, during the day for its tranquility, cool and relaxing atmosphere; at night it is like a sultan's palace courtyard with the lanterns in the orange tree lit and the glow from the alcoves around the courtyard.

The lounge area off the courtyard is extremely comfortable and has no shortage of books, games and CDs.

The rooftop terrace is a great place to sit and watch the sun come up while hearing the stirring morning call to prayer, or once the sun is up, to relax on a sun lounger, read a book or just chill out on the lounges in shade of the arabic styled open-sided tent.

The food is second to none (literally some of the best in town) and I highly recommend having lunch and/or dinner in. Everything we had was fantastic - I don't think you can go wrong with a menu choice.

Marrakeck itself can be a little overwhelming and it was fantastic to have a personal tour with Najib of the souks, the museum and the old university. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

I also highly recommend the Lalla Takarkouste Lake and Imlil Valley day trip, Abdul was a fantastic and safe driver and guide and we must have taken hundreds of photos!

Lastly I'd like to add a warm 'thank you' to Lisa, Samir and Sayeed who all made our stay a life-time memory.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We spent our last two nights in Morocco in Dar Charkia. Lisa, Michael, Samira and their staff made our stay in their gorgeous riad such an amazing experience. A little heaven right in the middle of bustling Marrakech, it offers everything you can ask for in a riad: perfect and central location, beautifully and authentically decorated, spotless clean, upscale, with an amazing eye for detail, tasty breakfast and excellent advice re: the city. Ultimate professionalism!! We are so happy we ended our trip in Dar Charkia.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasig, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

LISA & MICHAEL...

I want to AVOID COMMON TERMS when describing Dar Charkia, and I want to be as honest as possible.

Dar Charkia is beautiful, its very comfortable, quiet, and the interior is simply amazing. Don't be surprised if their service is as good, honestly speaking if you decide to spend a lot of time in Dar Charkia, or explore Marrakech, it wouldn't make any difference it is equally rewarding.

THE BEST PART?
Lisa as a host is excellent, and her extension; Said, the night watchman, is equally enchanting. Said is charming, respectful, and attentive; treat him nicely. Lisa as a host is as charming, funny, and brutally honest. Dry wit and sharp sensibility, this dragon lady is to be trusted with her experience with Marrakech. She will provide you with a MAP with all her notes, listen closely and intently and you WILL find good deals in the souks around Marrakech.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had a fabulous few days with friends in this beautiful riad. The owners, Lisa and Michael and their wonderful staff make you feel very welcome, nothing is too much trouble. We were very impressed by the information and tips given by Lisa, together with a map which certainly makes it easier to find your way around. The riad is a lovely, peaceful place to come back to after a busy day in the souks! Said was a pleasure to talk to and gave us an insight into life in Morrocco. The city was fascinating and the Morrocan people are very friendly. We will hopefully go back one day!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely