“Lovely staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Charkia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Dar Charkia
Save Saved
You added Dar Charkia to your Saves list
50 Derb El Halfaoui | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40 030, Morocco   |
Ranked #4 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Gloucestershire
“Lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights here and what a good choice it was. It is a beautiful oasis in the midst of mad Marrakech. It is spotlessly clean and tastefully furnished. We stayed in the Sahara room which was very comfortable. The staff are excellent and take good care off you. They are always at hand to give you advice or book things for you, and when you return welcome you back. We would not hesitate to recommend Dar Charkia.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,090 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had not been to Marraketch before and, although the initial approach to Dar Chakia was a little off-putting, I really was most impressed with with the hotel and was continually impressed over the three days we stayed there. The staff are efficient and attentive, the facilities are attractive and spotless. Nothing seemed too much trouble. The initial impression was erroneous because, as I found out, everywhere in the Medina is like that and although It seems overwhelming at first you become used to it. We were not hasselled in the local area (the people are actually very friendly).
The Souk and the main square are only a few minutes walk away and the are good restaurants and cafes with walking distance. My Wife and I thoroughly reccomend Da Chakia

Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Dar Charkia is a place everyone should stay !!!! , from the moment you enter through the huge wooden door you feel like you have entered into another world , the Riad is decorated elegantly with so much style , with beautiful touches everywhere its hard to say what part of it you love . The staff are outstanding with Samira heading up the staff and makes your stay with Dar Charkia the most relaxing , wonderful experience . I booked my stay 6 months in advance to avoid disappointment , my decision was purely based on all reviews on here and it measures up to what everyone says . The breakfasts were different everyday and with so much choice and available any time in the morning when you are ready , do have an evening meal here as it was some of the best food we had . Lisa and Michaels introduction meeting gives you excellent advice and everywhere they suggested was perfect , even booking 2 of our evening meals , they arrange everything from transfers to and from the airports , to the brilliant maps they provide and so much much enthusiasm on places to visit . Lisa had arranged a birthday cake and Fizz on my meal at Dar Charkia and even told the restaurants we visited ( Pepe Nero is a must !! ) so I ended up having 3 birthday cakes throughout my stay and many many renditions of "Happy Birthday " from so many staff .
I stayed in the Douriau suite which is just stunning but all of the bedrooms are yet again decorated so beautifully , next time I come I think i will try the Sahara room . Please do not look anywhere else !!!!! STAY HERE !!!
Thank you Dar Charkia for the best birthday ever ,!!

Room Tip: Douriau suite is great for 3 girly holiday of required but a beautiful romantic suite for a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Conveniently located riad so that all significant places of interest within walking distance. The riad is attractively decorated showcasing all the local handicrafts. Comfortable beds and excellent bathrooms and showers. Lisa and Michael were very attentive hosts enabling us to make the most of our time in Marrakech. All of the staff were charming and helpful. The in-house meal was delicious and a first-rate example of Morroccan cuisine and the Gris wine recommended by Lisa was very good. To summarise - beautifully appointed riad, welcoming and attentive staff, great location, very quiet, excellent choice for a visit to Marrakech.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Dar Charkia. Frankly I could not have expected anything possibly as good.

Being a non-Arabic speaker and only an average French speaker, it was a great relief to find that the owners spoke fluent English (they also speak fluent German, French and Arabic).

When you arrive you are provided with a comprehensive guide to the town, geared to whatever it is you are visiting for (be it shopping, eating or relaxing).

The rooms are frankly beautiful. First world luxury is not missing but you know you are in Morocco.

The restaurant is great. You don't need to go out if you don't feel like it.

But the staff, that's the real magic here. They are friendly, helpful but entirely unobtrusive.

While there are hundreds of places to stay in Marrakech, I could not possibly stay anywhere else.

Colleagues of mine stayed at a 5 star hotel outside the Medina. Having seen there hotel (which was quite lovely), I was glad I stayed at Dar Charkia.

Its just done so well.

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Down a narrow street off of Bab Doukkala in Marrakech is a small wooden door that opened up into one of the most delightful travel experiences I have had. The decor, charm and food they served is enough alone to have made the trip worthwhile, but the value of the assistance provided by Michael and Lisa in planning our first trip to Marrakech is immeasurable. My family was accustomed to travel in the US and Europe and a trip to Morocco seemed daunting (now we know that fear was completely unfounded). Michael and Lisa recommended restaurants, activities and excursions before our arrival and made all the arrangements. I am happy to say that anyone going to Marrakech should follow their restaurant recommendations. The food and ambiance of all were excellent. The activites and excursions were executed with perfection. I don't know when I'll get back to Marrakech but when I do, I will be staying at Dar Charkia.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We spend three nights in Dar Charkia, and couldn't have loved it any more.

Lisa and Michael, along with every single other member of staff were incredible hosts. We were made to feel like it was our home, and nothing was too much trouble. Lisa's in depth knowledge of where to go and what to do was invaluable. A special mention also to Samira who was excellent in every way, I still don't believe she has never been to England! Also to Mohammed, the night guard (I hope that was his name!) who kept us plied with beer and snacks into the wee hours.

The Riad is beautiful. The decor has clearly had a huge amount of thought put into it, and the overall ambiance is one of comfort, relaxation and luxury. If only the sun would have shone a little more we could have spent more time on the fantastic roof terrace.

Breakfast was brilliant, and a great touch that this was available wherever we wanted it (we ate on the roof one morning) and it was available at any time at all, removing that usual hotel panic of missing breakfast!

Location was also excellent, within short walking distance of everything you want to see, but still in a quiet spot and in a safe area. We never felt unsafe, even at night, in the area around the riad.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Don't look any further!

Thanks again to Michael, Lisa and everyone else for a fantastic stay.

Nicky

Room Tip: The Douiria Suite was beautiful and big with a great bathroom and separate living area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Charkia? Share your experiences!