“Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Charkia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Dar Charkia
Ranked #4 of 470 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have just returned from a long weekend in Marrakech with my daughter, made all the more pleasurable by our stay in Dar Charkia. From my first enquiry, Lisa's help and advice via email was great and all our specific requests met without any problems. On arrival Michael took great care to go through the information he thought we would need for an enjoyable stay in Marrakech. The Riad is wonderful and we loved all the little touches and attention to detail. Our room was lovely, the staff were all so kind and helpful and the food plentiful and quite delicious. We had a wonderful spa experience at the Palais el Maria with lunch which Lisa organised for us. We spent a fun last night at the Jad Mahal for dinner, good food, belly dancers and a live band. We also experienced the culinary delights in the evening at one of the stalls in Djemmaa-El-Fna square. Dar Charkia is perfect place to stay and we had a lovely time. We would like to thank Michael, Lisa and all the staff for making our first visit to Marrakech so memorable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at this lovely riad for 5 days at the end of February 2013. You can see from the pictures just how pretty it is, but what they don't show is the kindness and attention to detail from the owners and every member of staff. Nothing was too much trouble but with no feeling of "them and us". The staff have a lovely way about them and have a delightful sense of humour. The owners, Lisa and Michael, are hands on and so approachable that I felt that I was staying at the house of friends. If it is your first visit to Marrakech then this is a really good place for you. Lisa clues you in on restaurants, shops, taxis and what you need to know to have a hiccup free holiday. Was sorry to leave! Trisha S.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

As I originally booked to go to Marrakech on my own for a short rest/break, I checked through Trip Advisor to try and find a lovely small hotel where a single lady could feel comfortable and safe and decided on Dar Charkia because the views of others convinced me this was the right place. Two weeks before travel my cousin decided to join me and Lisa and Michael (owners of Dar Charkia) couldn't have been more helpful in accommodating us both and were so hospitable and delightful whislt we were in Marrakech. They and their dedicated small team of staff had just the right mix of friendliness and attention to detail without any intrusiveness - they have got it just right. The Riad is small, pretty and comfortable and the food was great. The kitchen prepared our food to order and provided exactly what we wanted when we wanted it. It was like being a guest in the house of friends with the addition of wonderful staff looking after us.
I would defininitely go back to this delightful Riad in the heart of the Old City, whether on my own or with others, and would give it the highest recommendation. Oonagh R (see her review - we had never met before) and her lovely family were staying at the Riad at the same time as my cousin and me and I have to say Dar Charkia seems to attract lovely guests to stay with them. Love Marrakech and Dar Charkia - they compliment one another perfectly. I could go on but I won't!!

Room Tip: Our room, Saada, was perfect and the only room on the Ground Floor - the courtyard and plunge pool...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just got back from a fabulous long weekend in Marrakech with 4 friends. Michael and Lisa were so helpful before we arrived with heaps of information for us to consider. Their knowledge of the area is second to none and they arranged guides, transport, dinner reservations and anything else we wanted or needed. The Riad is lovely, very homely, immaculately clean and the service impeccable. We studied trip advisor before booking and were so happy with our choice. Rates are very reasonable and everything they arranged was perfect. We had Ibrahim as our guide around the souks who took us to places we would never have found on our own. He knew every film ever made in Marrakech and where it was filmed and gave us so much information on the country and culture. We went to the Kasbah Angour for lunch which I would not necessarily recommend. It was very pretty but we had better food at the Riad Idra where my friends had Hammans which they all said was amazing. We all met for lunch on their rooftop terrace and the food was lovely, beautifully presented and delicious. We also went to the Comptoir for dinner and belly dancing which was good, great atmosphere, busy but good service and good food. Marrakech is a fascinating place which assaults all the senses and I will definitely be going back. The people were all very friendly and thanks to Lisa and Michael our stay was perfect.

Room Tip: Be prepared to hear the call to prayer at 5am and the birds tweeting but embrace it as it is all par...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just returned from a great trip to Marrakech staying in the the Dar Charkia.
The Rhiad is a really nice tranquil place to spend time. Having spent 4 days in the city I reckon that Dar Charkia is ideally located to access the main square, souks, restaurants etc. while being in a quieter neighbourhood. Lisa gives a great introduction to the city which is very useful for first timers and all her recommendations were good. Be sure to visit Pepe Nero for dinner at least one evening.
Breakfast was a treat with a nice range of freshly made products.
The staff at Dar Charkia were really nice, laid back and genuinely friendly. I would recommend this Rhiad to anybody wanting a relaxing stay in Marrakech.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Behind a wooden door in a non-descript wall lies the gem that is Dar Charkia. When one steps inside one is greeted by the wonderful perfume of orange blossom - from the tree in the courtyard. The sound of water from the pool contributes to the sense of tranquillity that is the essence of this riad. The staff take their cue from Lisa and Michael; they are friendly, helpful, extremely efficient, full of useful information and completely non intrusive. Ideal. Breakfast set one up for the day and should one decide to eat at the riad - we did twice - the food is excellent - try the endive salad with pear, blue cheese, toasted walnuts; and the chicken with lemon and experience the best of their kind in Marrakech. The bedroom and public rooms are decorated in a sytle that using the best of local crafts. Ideally situated inside the Medina, Dar Charika offers a location from which to launch forth daily and experience what this city has to offer - a lot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

From the moment Lisa and Michael greeted us with genuine warmth and friendliness, to the moment we fondly waived them goodbye, Dar Charkia was all that we could have asked for and more during our stay in Marrakech.
I travelled to Marrakech with my husband for a combined holiday/conference.
The team at Dar Charkia attended to our every travellers need.
We stayed in the Douria Suite which was spacious, tastefully decorated and equipped with all the necessities, plus additional comforts of home. I particularly liked the books available to read.
Breakfasts were delicious.
Prior to arriving, via email, Lisa had booked a day tour and organised a reservation at a local restaurant. Lisa was incredibly helpful and efficient in assisting us with our requests.
I look forward to staying at Dar Charkia again.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Dar Charkia? Share your experiences!