“my little savior - wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Charkia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Dar Charkia
50 Derb El Halfaoui | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40 030, Morocco   |
Special Price
25% SPECIAL SUMMER OFFER
Ranked #4 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Bournemouth
“my little savior - wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had to split my holiday into two parts as Dar Charkia was fully booked for the first two nights of my holiday. I stayed in another riad and then moved to Dar Charkia. The experience at Dar Charkia was very different to the one I had during my first two days in Marrakech. On arriving at Dar Charkia I was warmly welcomed by Lisa and Michael and their lovely staff. I was offered a welcome drink, an information chat where Lisa spent more than half an hour explaining a map that she annotates for every client that arrives at Dar Charkia. This is backed up with a full information pack in every room. I felt totally looked after and supported as this was my first time in Marrakech. At my first hotel I was not even offered a map. Lisa and Michael try to put themselves in the tourist's shoes - so they offer all the help and support you might need if you have never been to Marrakech before. I have never been to a hotel ever that offers so much, where the owners take every possible step to ensure that your holiday is fantastic from restaurants, to where to shop, to what scam lines you might hear or encounter! let's face it you are only paying for bed and breakfast but you get so much more and all for free! Breakfast is varied and huge and sets you up for the day. The staff are sweet always smiling and kind.
You do not get a key for the riad front door for obvious reasons - security but the door is always accessible from inside so clients come and go as they please and there is always a member of staff around to open up day and night. I felt as a single girl happy, relaxed, comfortable and unbelievably looked after. The riad is clean, stylish and full of inspiration with personal touches everywhere so that you feel you are staying in someone's home and not a hotel. This is a place that is loved by the owners and you feel it. I have never stayed anywhere where the owners put so much love and commitment into their hotels. Thankyou Lisa and Michael for making the second part of my holiday so fantastic.
I loved every moment of it and the cannot wait to go back. Dar Charkia is the only place for me in Marrakech that is for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

1,083 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Michael and Lisa are excellent hosts supported by friendly and helpful staff especially the ever cheerful Rashid

The whole experience was excellent and was exactly as shown in the on line photos. Rooms are stylish and comfortable with excellent facilities. The hosts arranged taxi transfers and a trip to the Atlas mountains.

Highly recommended. If this is the standard of a Riad I would never use a hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms have their own personalities and are all of a very high standard. The on line photos are all...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

As a 1st time visitors to Marrakech, our experience has been memorable. Our wonderful hosts Lisa & Michael were helpful from the moment we made 1st contact. They very kindly recommended activities, day trips and offered a list of the best restaurants to visit within walking distance from the Riad. Once we decided what we would like to do and where we wanted to eat, they took care of all arrangements and transfers.
On arrival to the airport, we were collected by our allocated driver who took us to Dar Charkia. Our experience begins the minute we met Michael, who so kindly met us half way through the allies that with time, will become so familiar to us.
Once in the Riad, our !st impression was WOW!! We couldn’t believe that this beautiful gem is in the middle of the Medina.
On arrival we were offered some mint tea, coffee and a delicious breakfast, which entitles a mix of Continental, meets Moroccan cuisine. Afterwards, Lisa and Michael join us to share their knowledge of the area, they gave us a map indicating all the best spots, and they gave us advice on the etiquette within Morocco. All the info was very valuable and made it easier for us to explore the famous Zouks and other further afield locations.
Also, on our first evening we had dinner at the Riad, the food was traditional, well presented and accompany by a good selection of wines and other beverages.
The members of staff made sure that everything was to our satisfaction, they were very helpful and accessible 24/7.
The welcome received at Dar Charkia from Lisa & Michael was second to none. The ambiance, the decor and comfort of the place especially of our room “Sa’ada Suite”, shows their exquisite taste and good eye for detail.
All in all, Dar Charkia is an Oasis of calm in the midst of the hustle and bustle. We are hoping to get back next year with our children, So watch this page!!

Maria Reategui - PERU

Room Tip: Room on the Lower floor has quick access to the pool and dinning area.
Aalesund
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Great service, very stylish and comfortable, incredibly helpful extras (annotated map of Marrakech, help with booking activities) and fantastic breakfasts! Would definitely recommend to others and would love to come back.

Room Tip: The Sa'ada Suite is overlooks the pool and courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

What a gorgeous place to stay, it completely takes your breath away when you walk in. The courtyard, roof terrace and rooms are stunning and the staff are warm and helpful. The riad was in the perfect location, tucked away from all the hustle and bustle. We will definitely be back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a most marvellous stay at Dar Charkia and I was surprised to read a previous review concerning the feeling of being "hemmed in" and "pressurised" to book restaurants. I feel it important to see the other side and state that to access this beautiful Riad one needs to enter via a labyrinth of dark, narrow alleyways and therefore to issue front door keys to all guests who may only be staying a day or two is asking for trouble; keys get lost, mislaid and even not handed back - a recipe for danger and so I totally understand why Michael and Lisa don't issue front door keys. In any event, there is always somebody to answer the door immediately even at night because the Riad has 24 hour service for guests' needs.

It's also pretty unfair saying they guests are pressured into booking restaurants. We were never pressured and only ever offered great advice on where to go depending on what we fancied eating. It makes sense to book in advance - you would do that in the UK for a nice restaurant. The restaurants we chose we would not have been able to get into without a booking because they were completely full.

So, please, don't judge too harshly - just go and try it for yourself and make your own mind up! You will not be disappointed.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a gorgeous place to stay: Lisa and Michael are fabulous hosts, the staff are warm and teh beautiful design of the place make Dar Chakia a little jewel like paradise. It is definitely worth all the praise received here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Charkia? Share your experiences!