“Friendly Environment, great for solo travelers” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Al Mamoune
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   140 Derb Aarjane, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #195 of 1,065 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Redondo Beach, CA
“Friendly Environment, great for solo travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Vacationed with my friends in Marrakech. Stayed here for about a week. The Riad is spacious and pleasantly decorated. Get a suite if available. Worth the extra money. The staff is friendly and accommodating. They will give tips on where to go for shopping and tours. They will arrange private dinners for you. You will love your stay.

Room Tip: Get a double room even if you are a single.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I really don't like giving 5/5 and rarely do because it is like saying that somewhere is already perfect and has no real need to change/improve... but I really do believe Riad Al Mamoune is there.

I'll start off by saying that in 3 weeks of travelling around Morocco this was by far the best place we stayed at. We had a fantastic time in Marrakesh but I honestly think that a LOT of it had to do with staying at Riad Al Mamoune. It makes a huge difference when you are in a great location, have a safe and welcoming place to come "home" every day and have great people running the place.

Riad Al Mamoune is in a superb location. You are never going to find a hotel that is close to absolutely everything in Marrakesh because the city is relatively spread out. But Riad Al Mamoune is close to many of the places you want to see on a regular basis - the souks and Jemaa El Fna. It sounds strange but even though it is right in the heart of the Souks, it feels peaceful and safe at all hours of the day/night and is easy to navigate to. You will really feel like you are "living" in Marrakesh and become at ease with the hustle and bustle of the markets - I know we did! You will also no doubt meet some genuinely friendly people in the markets nearby too.

The Riad itself is beautifully restored, peaceful and comfortable - you will want to take photos inside. Its great coming "home" after a long day exploring and being able to cool off in the small plunge pool in the courtyard.

We stayed in the ground floor Sultana Suite which I can't fault - plenty of room, comfortable bed, great bathroom (by Moroccan standards). Even though it was located right on the courtyard, it wasn't noisy and to be honest I think it was a big bonus as we used the courtyard like it was our own (and all rooms are located around the courtyard anyway - it would be rare to find a Riad or Dar that was not structured like this).

Breakfasts are the standard Moroccan fare of pancakes, bread, jams, coffee etc. which was good. The best part was the orange juice - not all places in Morocco actually fresh squeeze orange juice every morning! Breakfast is served on their terrace which is well set up and a tranquil place to relax.

Wifi was good - available in the room and everywhere else in the Riad.

BUT I think the best part of the whole Riad Al Mamoune experience was: HAMID (the host). He is truly an amazing person and the most professional, helpful, relaxed and kind person we met in Morocco on our 3 week holiday. Our first impression of him was when he came to meet us near Jemaa El Fna after we had just arrived in Marrakesh by bus - he showed us his ID without us asking (which was nice because sometimes people can try and take advantage of tourists). He showed us the best way to remember how to get to the Riad which was almost like having a "mini tour". He was available almost 24-7, always had something to talk about, answered our questions, helped me with my Arabic, gave advice and made us feel at home and happy. We both truly felt like we made a genuine friend and I know everyone else staying there at the time felt the same way as we did.

However everyone else working at Riad Al Mamoune was fantastic too - the housekeeper was always smiling and made up our room perfectly, did a load of our washing and amazingly had everything perfectly dry and folded in our room the same day. The owners Manu and his wife Patricia made us feel at home and prepared a very nice dinner one night. Manu was also good to talk with and I ended up staying up late one night chatting with him for hours about all kinds of things which was a nice memory to have.

Overall I can say that by choosing to stay at Riad Al Mamoune you are already half way to having one of the best holidays of your life Marrakesh.

It is great value for money considering the whole "package".

Room Tip: the sultana suite was flawless... although the other rooms might be great too!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The location is excellent, the rooms are excellent and the staff (Manu and Hamid) are more than helpful in fact it is like having your own personal guide whenever you need one. Manu took us on a trip to the Atlas mountains which was an excellent experience, we did the mule riding option which I thoroughly recommend as it was great fun. If you are going to stay in a Riad then you probably won't find much better. Make note of the breakfast options as we missed that on the first day, the omlettes are good.
Rooms have safes, and hairdryers and lots of nice towels and soap etc. Don't hesitate to book.

Room Tip: Mogador and Sultana suite are on the ground floor, the rest are on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here on my trip to Morocco (which was part of a 3 month trip across Asia, Europe and Africa) and I just want to take the time to say that I have NEVER had such amazing hospitality from anywhere in the world and Riad Al Mamoune was by far my favorite place to stay. From beginning to end everyone went completely out of their way to make me feel welcome, even the wonderful ladies in the kitchen chatted to me at breakfast. Manu picked me up from the airport, went out of his way to take me to the CTM bus station so I could purchase tickets to Essaouira (where I was traveling in the next few days) and then very kindly carried my bag all the way through the medina (it was very heavy!). The person who really stood out the most was the guide and manager (Hamid? I think that was his name!), he immediately came and introduced himself at breakfast, was so friendly, and then personally walked me about 20 minutes to show me some sites he thought I'd enjoy and then to the museum. He also walked me out into Djema El Fnaa in the early morning to help me find a taxi and expected nothing for it but a promise I would come and stay again. I was on my own and as a young solo female I have never felt so taken care of anywhere else while traveling and I really am so thankful for the hospitality here. The room and Riad in general were just beautiful, I'm an architecture student and was blown away. The breakfast every morning was amazing (entire jug of fresh squeezed orange juice free of charge!) and you are right in the centre of all the action in the medina, all the best sites of Marrakech are walkable. I can't WAIT to stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
melbourne, vic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Highly recommend this riad as it is situated perfectly for quick shopping raids and escaping back to the sanctuary of the riad. Marrakech is awesome but very exhausting. I was there for two weeks, mixing business and fun with friends. I shared the douriya with a friend. This is a suite separate from the other rooms, the main bedroom was luxurious and like the riad itself was adorned in classic Moroccan style. The pictures they provide on their website do not do it justice. We had our own lounge room and balcony overlooking the central courtyard. The riad itself is beautiful and peaceful. The staff were lovely and the manager Hmid most helpful with any enquiry, language lesson, bartering advice, tour organising, you name he helped, even chasing down a wayward manager from another riad where my friend stayed, to return home an let her in as they did not provide her with a key. Ignore the rubbish you pass on the way there, the cats, the beggars, this is the nature of the city and really is not a great problem.
Super clean environment, I think they changed our towels every day, it was spotless whenever we returned home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Riad is located in the heart of the Medina (about 5 min form the Djemma el Fna, passing through one of the main souks "Souk Semmarine"). The Riad is furnished, in what I think is traditional and original for Morocco and my room was very clean. The staff was very friendly, and the breakfast was good. If I go to Marrakech again, I'd definitely book a room in Riad Al Mamoune again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Moraira, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We just returned from our 5 day stay at Riad Al Mamoune in the suite Alf Lila Wa Lila. The room was very spacious, the 4 poster bed very comfortable, the bed linen was of superb quality which was changed daily. The bathroom had everything you need, hair dryer, miniature toiletries, good shower and the excellent quality of the towels deserves a special mention, as they put my own from Harrods to shame! Not only the room, but the entire Riad is very clean and has a nice feel, especially at night when a multitude of candles are lit throughout. The owner Manu is really nice and easy to talk to (english), his beautiful wife Zaza not only helped to buy a stunning kaftan in the Souk, but also gave us a cooking lesson. This meal, which was served to us in the evening on the roof terrace by candle light with a nice bottle of Morrocan Rose wine, remained the best tasting and quality meal of our entire trip (we are foodies and paid up to 900Dh - Al Fassia - see review)
And last, but by no means least there is Hamid, the manager, who seems to have the amazing gift of guessing your needs before you have chance to express them and genuinely cares for your well being. He speaks english, is most helpful and has lots of suggestions of where to go, how to get there and what to do, without being pushy in any way. If you have your own agenda like we did, he will just aid your arrangements to streamline things. A really nice young guy, who will let you down gently when realisation strikes that you grossly overpaid for one of your treasures in the souk :-), we will always remember him fondly (talk to him before you buy anything!)
Previous reviewers have mentioned the 'scary' alley leading to the Riad. It's true that the last 150m between the spice square and the Riad can be of various degree unpleasant & smelly depending on the time of day or night, (take a mini torch if returning late) but by no means threatening. In summary we believe that this Riad is excellent value for the price you pay if you wish to stay in the Medina.

Room Tip: Can only comment on our suite as mentioned above, slept like babies, didn't even hear the early...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Al Mamoune? Share your experiences!