“The best hospitality I have ever had.” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Al Mamoune
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   140 Derb Aarjane, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #197 of 1,032 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Tauranga, New Zealand
“The best hospitality I have ever had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here on my trip to Morocco (which was part of a 3 month trip across Asia, Europe and Africa) and I just want to take the time to say that I have NEVER had such amazing hospitality from anywhere in the world and Riad Al Mamoune was by far my favorite place to stay. From beginning to end everyone went completely out of their way to make me feel welcome, even the wonderful ladies in the kitchen chatted to me at breakfast. Manu picked me up from the airport, went out of his way to take me to the CTM bus station so I could purchase tickets to Essaouira (where I was traveling in the next few days) and then very kindly carried my bag all the way through the medina (it was very heavy!). The person who really stood out the most was the guide and manager (Hamid? I think that was his name!), he immediately came and introduced himself at breakfast, was so friendly, and then personally walked me about 20 minutes to show me some sites he thought I'd enjoy and then to the museum. He also walked me out into Djema El Fnaa in the early morning to help me find a taxi and expected nothing for it but a promise I would come and stay again. I was on my own and as a young solo female I have never felt so taken care of anywhere else while traveling and I really am so thankful for the hospitality here. The room and Riad in general were just beautiful, I'm an architecture student and was blown away. The breakfast every morning was amazing (entire jug of fresh squeezed orange juice free of charge!) and you are right in the centre of all the action in the medina, all the best sites of Marrakech are walkable. I can't WAIT to stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
melbourne, vic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Highly recommend this riad as it is situated perfectly for quick shopping raids and escaping back to the sanctuary of the riad. Marrakech is awesome but very exhausting. I was there for two weeks, mixing business and fun with friends. I shared the douriya with a friend. This is a suite separate from the other rooms, the main bedroom was luxurious and like the riad itself was adorned in classic Moroccan style. The pictures they provide on their website do not do it justice. We had our own lounge room and balcony overlooking the central courtyard. The riad itself is beautiful and peaceful. The staff were lovely and the manager Hmid most helpful with any enquiry, language lesson, bartering advice, tour organising, you name he helped, even chasing down a wayward manager from another riad where my friend stayed, to return home an let her in as they did not provide her with a key. Ignore the rubbish you pass on the way there, the cats, the beggars, this is the nature of the city and really is not a great problem.
Super clean environment, I think they changed our towels every day, it was spotless whenever we returned home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Riad is located in the heart of the Medina (about 5 min form the Djemma el Fna, passing through one of the main souks "Souk Semmarine"). The Riad is furnished, in what I think is traditional and original for Morocco and my room was very clean. The staff was very friendly, and the breakfast was good. If I go to Marrakech again, I'd definitely book a room in Riad Al Mamoune again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Moraira, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We just returned from our 5 day stay at Riad Al Mamoune in the suite Alf Lila Wa Lila. The room was very spacious, the 4 poster bed very comfortable, the bed linen was of superb quality which was changed daily. The bathroom had everything you need, hair dryer, miniature toiletries, good shower and the excellent quality of the towels deserves a special mention, as they put my own from Harrods to shame! Not only the room, but the entire Riad is very clean and has a nice feel, especially at night when a multitude of candles are lit throughout. The owner Manu is really nice and easy to talk to (english), his beautiful wife Zaza not only helped to buy a stunning kaftan in the Souk, but also gave us a cooking lesson. This meal, which was served to us in the evening on the roof terrace by candle light with a nice bottle of Morrocan Rose wine, remained the best tasting and quality meal of our entire trip (we are foodies and paid up to 900Dh - Al Fassia - see review)
And last, but by no means least there is Hamid, the manager, who seems to have the amazing gift of guessing your needs before you have chance to express them and genuinely cares for your well being. He speaks english, is most helpful and has lots of suggestions of where to go, how to get there and what to do, without being pushy in any way. If you have your own agenda like we did, he will just aid your arrangements to streamline things. A really nice young guy, who will let you down gently when realisation strikes that you grossly overpaid for one of your treasures in the souk :-), we will always remember him fondly (talk to him before you buy anything!)
Previous reviewers have mentioned the 'scary' alley leading to the Riad. It's true that the last 150m between the spice square and the Riad can be of various degree unpleasant & smelly depending on the time of day or night, (take a mini torch if returning late) but by no means threatening. In summary we believe that this Riad is excellent value for the price you pay if you wish to stay in the Medina.

Room Tip: Can only comment on our suite as mentioned above, slept like babies, didn't even hear the early...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Ok so when we arrived here I was like nope this areas dodgy , it was dark and dingy and overflowing with cats but then you come to the riad door and your left speechless , beautiful original architecture , clean and just amazing. Spacious courtyard on the bottom floor with 2 bedrooms and a chill out room for all guests and a kitchen...then 2nd floor where we stayed in the largest suite with our own balcony and living room we were a family of 4 and even then it was well priced and then theres the massive gorgeous rooftop where you enjoy a simple filling traditional fresh breakfast every mornng. Manu and Hamid become like family , so comfortable to be around and guranteed you'll miss them when you go back home and the guests there are super friendly met a couple from paris and a singleton from switzerland
And another older couple from UK and they are all like your best friends ...miss everyone and want to come back home to riad al mamoune :)

• Stayed March 2013
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were recommended by friends to go to this delightful riad in the maze behind the souks. It was very interesting finding our way back to this place after dinner - we had memorized our way with landmarks, and it was an adventure to find it - in a good way. Amazingly quiet, this riad is a great experience. Hamu and his wife are lovely people, and made us very welcome. Their employee Hamid is a good guy with an aggressive personality that appeals to young people, and Hamu is a humble person that relates better to mature people. Fresh squeezed orange juice and delicious Moroccan crepes for breakfast with tea and coffee were wonderful on the rooftop terrace. Our room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the shower was so cute, a conical little hive. We left the riad to go sightseeing after breakfast and came back after dinner. We met some of the other guests and made some friends quickly.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor, My husband is a big guy with a love of open spaces, so he felt sl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for a week in this WONDERFUL and relaxing riad. It's beautiful, the people who work there went out of their way to help with everything (even went shopping in the souqes with us to insure reasonable prices).
Breakfast was good, as were the dinner we had one night.
Good rooms, great staff! It has a homely feel in the best possible way. Absolutely recommendable! Will be going back:)

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Riad Al Mamoune? Share your experiences!