“best memory of our holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Casa Taos
Route de Souihla | Km 8, Marrakech 400000, Morocco   |
Ranked #63 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
devon
“best memory of our holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The first time I have stayed in a place where NOTHING is wrong. Happy, smiling unobtrusive and professional owners and staff.Don't miss this one. All has been said before.Food, ambiance, surroundings, rooms, grounds, I could go on we just loved it. Thanks to everyone

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

A true oasis of understated luxury, the definition of superior Moroccan hospitality, not to mention the amazing food, which is on a par with the best restaurants in Marrakech. We had a wonderful New Year at Casa Taos, our every need was taken care of by the doting staff and Hicham really does deserve all the praise he receives on here. Set 20 minutes away from the chaos of Marrakech, its the ideal base to dip in and out from. Stay in the Sophia Suite if you get the chance, literally one of the best rooms I've ever stayed in

Room Tip: Sophia Suite
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

What a stunning place. I've just returned from a short break at Casa Taos and it was quite simply amazing.  I was travelling alone and they really made me feel like royalty, nothing was too much trouble.

As you walk in you see that the pool looks just as lovely  as it does in the photos. It is nestled amongst orange and mandarin trees and I spent most days here reading my book in the sun loungers or sleeping in the hammocks. It was too cold to go swimming but in Dec I wasn't really expecting to.

I woke  up every morning with a view of the beautiful snow topped atlas mountains. Inside the room was extremely clean and the decor very well done. My favourite part was the open fire place -  which was lit every night as December evenings in Marrakech are very chilly. They built the fire for you so all you had to do was light it after dinner.

My overall highlight has to be the food. Every meal was a mini feast and I genuinely I don't think I've ever had such lovely homemade and homegrown tucker - four courses every night. Melt in the mouth beef, succulent chicken and lemon and yummy meatball tagines. I was also pleasantly surprised with the wine, previously  id had some dodgy local Moroccan  wine but as with all things at Casa Taos it was impeccable.

The hotel used to be the owners family holiday home and even now you get a real sense of this. To me it felt like a real home from home. I've been to Marrakech twice before and after staying at Casa Taos I'll never go back to staying in the medina.

This place is a little slice a of the divine

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Varese, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Casa Taos is a quirky, creative and truly special place to stay. I can say this confidently as I have been lucky enough to stay in great places in many beautiful locations all over the world. The warmth and kindness that exudes from Hicham and his staff made our stay here truly memorable. Every request satisfied, from children's meals to help searching the city for a pair of bellows! Nothing is too much trouble here. My husband, 8 year old twin boys and I loved this place, our boys running freely and safely in the beautiful garden, us lazing on hammocks and sun beds by the beautiful pool. An authentic place to stay with lovingly prepared delicious food using fresh ingredients from the garden and served so wonderfully by Mohammed, the best tea pourer in Morocco. The homemade lemonade, chocolate mousse, creme caramel and Moroccan appetisers were particularly tasty. Far enough away from the city to provide a quiet and peaceful oasis but close enough for easy access to Marrakech and all it has to offer. I recommend Casa Taos unreservedly. Thank you to you all (and a special hello to Echo and Toffee) and we hope to see you again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband chose Casa Taos as with two children we wanted space to escape to and relax in after sightseeing in Marrakesh. We had no idea what to expect, but were all enchanted by Casa Taos. As others have noted, it's a c. 20 min taxi ride from The Medina, but we enjoyed the services of the same taxi driver, summoned for us by Mohammed, throughout our stay and were able to call him when in the city to arrange pick-ups and transport back to the hotel. The hotel is essentially a walled estate, consisting of several low buildings in typical Moroccan style. The guest rooms are all in the main building, with a colourful communal lounge and a quiet, shady courtyard. There are lots of discreet corners and places to sit and read or just enjoy the peace and the weather. We had two 1st Floor rooms, adjoined by an outdoor veranda with views of the snow-capped Atlas mountains. The rooms were large, colourful, comfortable and private. The focal point of Casa Taos is the pool area, adjoined by the kitchen and dining room, with additional dining facilities outside on the patio. The pool is spotless, probably one of the cleanest I've ever seen, but unfortunately a bit too cold for me in October! The temperature does drop at night so the water is quite cool, but my children enjoyed it. The area around the pool is charming; an avenue of mature palms with hammocks, lovely comfortable sunbeds and again, ample sitting areas in both shade and sun. No fighting over sunbeds here! The grounds are extensive, the hotel was designed and the land planted by the current owner's father, so it's truly a family concern. The gardens, like everything else, are beautifully and carefully kept and much of the produce used in the kitchens in grown either within the walled gardens or in the huge orchard beyond. The citrus grove includes grapefruit, oranges, satsumas, lemons, limes and a particular lemon that is preverved and its zest used in Moroccan cooking. Additionally we saw date palms, grenadines, pecan nuts, quince, aubergines, chillis, peppers and salad leaves, all growing fresh and used in the kitchen. If you love food and are interested in trying local produce and dishes, you will not be disappointed here. We ate here every night but one, it was without doubt a highlight of our trip to Marrakesh. There is no menu per se, but every night Mohammed laid before us a selection of salads, followed by a stew, tagine, cous cous and desserts all beautifully prepared, fresh, subtly flavoured with herbs, spices and orange flower, most of the produce used grown in the hotel, which supports a staff of 13 to farm the land and care for the guests. The kitchen was also able to cater for our children, with burgers, pizza, chicken etc - although by the end of the stay they were eating Lebanese food with us!
We tried Moroccan, Syrian and Lebanese dishes and were also treated to home made cakes and the best mint tea. Snacks by the pool are served at lunchtime, drinks all day and breakfast can include fresh crepes, plenty of toast (including toasted cumin bread), home made tapenade, cream cheese, honey and fresh pressed juices - different flavours every day. There is plenty to eat and all of it is excellent. Mohammed is always there, attentive and hospitable and mealtimes were a real joy, I would go back just for the food alone! It was our habit to wander round the gardens after breakfast and supper, accompanied by Ako and Dofi, the owners' two extremely soppy dogs, although they only latch onto dog-lovers so don't worry if you are not keen! At night, the paths are often dotted with frogs and apparently hedgehogs wander around too, we enjoyed the wildflife. The owners are usually around, knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. The whole experience is that of staying in the beautiful country home of a Moroccan family as a special guest, enjoying wonderful hospitality discreetly provided. We all hope to return one day and it was as fine an introduction to the country, people and food as we could have hoped for.

Room Tip: The two 3-star ratings need qualifying: I'm not a good sleeper and wherever you stay in Morocco...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We arrived here after spending three days in the busy heart of Marrakesch. What we found exceeded our expectations by far. This family run Guesthouse not only offers a lovely garden and pool area to relax but also the best food we had until now in Morocco. Everything is freshly made and most of the products are from their own garden. The service is outstanding and our room (honey moon sweet) was amazing. The pool area is surrounded by a huge garden with all kind of flowers, trees and herbs. We felt like being part of the family and enjoyed our stay very much. Eco and Toffy (the 2 sweet and funny dogs) are responsible for your safety - they are doing a very good job :)

Stayed November 2012
brecon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I won't witter on too much but this is an outstanding example of the modern guest house or small hotel. A place which sets standards that all of us in this industry can aspire to. Outstanding food and an instinctive understanding of what hospitality means. Hicham is well supported by Mohammed and his team.

A few pointers though.

It is a 15 - 20 minute taxi ride into the commercial centre and to the old city. This will cost about £8 each way. This suited us perfectly but be aware that you are out of the main hubbub of the city.

You should be happy to have dogs for company. They are part of Hicham's family and you are guests in their house, so they will rightly come up to you to check you are ok. We definitely were ok.

We were in Botero which is one of the more expensive rooms. We looked at the others at the end of our stay and would still probably have chosen Botero which was beautifully done. If you can't abide showers, ensure that you ask for a room which does not have a sunken bath. They realistically take an hour or so to fill, or would have if we'd tried it.

Make the most of Hicham's knowledge of local restaurants, shops and arts. His taste is pretty immaculate and his desire to look after guests is utterly impressive.

I can't recommend Casa Taos enough and we hope to head back there with children in a year or two.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Taos? Share your experiences!