“very nice riad in Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Zarka

You added Riad Zarka to your Saves list
Riad Zarka
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   143 Derb Aarjane | Rahba Lakdima, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #255 of 470 Hotels in Marrakech
California
“very nice riad in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I am writing this review as a first time experience going to Morocco, also first time experience at a riad. I loved it! My fiance took me for a romantic get away and I completely absorbed the atmosphere. Our hosts were extremely nice. Upon arrival we were greeted with a nice cup of tea. Our room was clean. Our bed was comfortable. The breakfasts were wonderful with breads, jam, yogurt, coffee, and tea. Our dinners were homemade and delicious. The patio was comfortable and scented of orange blossoms. I enjoyed a wonderful massage. To be clear one must be able to travel upstairs to get to their room. Seating on the patio is couches and chairs. In the lounge also couches and chairs. In perspective it was clean, perhaps not like a four star hotel, but that isn't what this is; this is an experience of real Morocco. Once a family house, I truly enjoyed the old pictures on the wall of the patio showing past times. Affordable and comfortable and the hosts went to special trouble to bring us wine for our evenings. Not too expensive, not too far to walk, quite, good shower, good bed; all of the basic facilities you would need for a good price. It is an old Moroccan house. If you need a swimming pool and all of that there are other options. We spent most of our time out touring and walking around, so for us it was perfect. Interesting tip: you must bring your own shampoo and soap, these things are not provided with the room.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2014

We had a nice time in Zarka. Once that you are in Marrakech (Old City), you need to know that things are difficult to be found. Zarka´s staff made our trip much easier, helping us with all information that we need to know about the Old City. They received us with a delicious mint tea!!! Our room was perfect and very romantic, clean and exotic!
The breakfast is simple but excellent: pancakes, bread, jam, an amazing fresh cake, pure and delicious orange juice and tons of mint tea!
You maybe going to be afraid to walk back to the Riad on your 1st night, if you come late at night. It´s safe, but better don´t be alone, because after 21:00, all the "souks" are closed and you need to walk through the souks to get to the Riad... The Riad it´s about 5 to 10 minuts walking from the Place Jemaa el Fna.
We had a lovely time in this place and definitely will come back again!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

Spent a wonderful week here , fabulous Riyad, beautiful rooms, spacious, well decorated, freshly cooked breakfast every morning. Spent time relaxing in the central courtyard, so lovely and cool. In a great position for shopping and just enjoying the life in this fascinating city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We were quite worried before we arrived as we couldn't get through to them to arrange a transfer- the lines seemed dead.

Thus we made our own way ( getting a little fleeced by the taxi- we later realised that you should only pay 50-100 dirhams from the airport. The taxi driver found us a barrow boy in the main square for 20 Dirhams and he helped us find the Riad though he got lost a bit too

Overall a good value place to stay only 40ish per night per room

• Stayed February 2012
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Review in one line: Cozy stay in perfect location!

I heard or read somewhere that “riad” would translate to “little palace”, and while I’m not certain that this is true, I find it nevertheless a very fitting description for Riad Zarka. It's a small place of refuge right in the heart of the historical old city, or medina. And saying it’s inside the medina in this case really means inside, not just close by as you’d usually assume from other hotel’s advertisements. On the other hand, this also means that there is no access by car to the riad and you’ll have to walk a few minutes through the bazaar, but the staff will help you with your luggage when you arrive/leave. By the way, arranging for airport pickup is a must – it’s close to impossible to find on your own. We just sent a quick email and had their staff waiting for us at the airport.

From my experience Marrakech is best explored by foot and anywhere you want to go is easily within reach of the Medina or Riad Zarka – and if you are lazy you can always take a cab ride or horse carriage. Returning from our excursions through Marrakech Riad Zarka was always a great place to rest for us. We spent a few early afternoons on the roof terrace just relaxing on the sunbeds. The rooms are also cozy, fittingly decorated and it’s very calm in the evening. If I had to nitpick a little thing, it's the lighting in the room that could have been a bit brighter when we were packing bags the last evening. But other than that there was nothing that even put a tiny dent in my very enjoyable stay at Riad Zarka. When I come back to Marrakech, which I dearly hope, I’ll very likely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

Riad Zarka is a beautiful place to stay that is very well situated. However, the value of this riad is lowered by incompetency of the staff employees with horrible attitude and bad service. Our room was very dusty. As we stayed in other Riad in Marrakech during our stay and thus we can compare, we confirm that this is not due to the city itself but due to insufficient cleaning. We found employees of the riad very difficult to deal with, as most of the responds to our demands started with NO and we had to have a long discussion to achieve at least some compromise. We will list some examples to give a better picture of the service we got at the riad during our stay. 1. We were going for a whole day trip leaving at 7am. We were refused to get breakfast or some replacement before 8am. At last we agreed that we can take a yogurt form the fridge. 2. We got 30 ml of shower gel for 5 nights / 2 people. We were asking to refill it for 3 days! First they told us that their boss told them not to refill it, then when I said that will write to the boss, the story changed. Supposedly, they ran out of the soap, they ordered it but had not arrived yet. But we saw them refilling the bottles for other rooms in which they expected new customers, so it was a non-sense. 3. Breakfast on the terrace was out of question because they needed to be present to serve breakfast to other customers when they wake up, like if bringing breakfast upstairs would take so much time. 4. I used two wallets during the trip to split the money. I forgot one of them in a bag in the room one day and when I got back to the room, the bag was open and the wallet missing. I did not report it, as I had no prove and there was not much money in it (and I did not feel like dealing with staff anymore). But the wallet had a sentimental value for me and cannot be replaced. I do have to mention one positive service that we got. It was breakfast that was very nice, consisting of fresh orange juice and local crepes, bread, jams, and coffee or mint tea. So my conclusion for this raid would be that unless the owner does not get her employee to treat the customers better (or change the staff) the stay in this riad is unpleasant and annoying.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

I stayed in Marrakech for three days with a friend, and Riad Zarka made the stay wonderful. The service is fantastic - the staff are genuinely friendly, the breakfasts are amazing! And very plentiful! We felt right at home at once, and leaving was a genuine wrench. Am already planning to come back in June with my mum and sister. If you're staying in Marrakech, I urge you to stay here. It's in a brilliant location right in the souk, so you really feel that you're in amongst all the action.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Zarka? Share your experiences!