“a wonderful, unique haven.” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Chorfa
6, Derb Chorfa El kebir - Mouassine - Medina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #192 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Zwolle, The Netherlands
“a wonderful, unique haven.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We stayed 2 nights on arriving in Marrakech. Arrived in the middle of the night, but were nevertheless welcomed very friendly and offered a drink. Breakfast was good. The location, decoration and interior perfect. After having travelled to the south we returned once more to the same Riad and really looked forward to it. We got other rooms, but they were beautiful too. It makes a difference which type of room you have, I guess, one is bigger than the other. The rooftop view (snow on the Atlas) was great. The muezzin surely woke us up, but seeing the huge amount of mosques you can't miss that and certainly not blame the riad for it. I would surely go back there, it's a little gem.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I stayed at the Riad with my wife and 3 kids, we were made to feel very welcome the minute we arrived. The staff are lovely and very helpful and always offered us tea when we arrived back at the Riad after a long day in the Souks. My kids particularly enjoyed the 3 tortoise in the Riad and of course the internet access! Breakfast was pleasant with a nice variety each day. The Riad is in a brilliant location only a 4 min walk to the main square Jemaa Al Fenaa. Would defo go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

This was our first trip to Marrakech and we couldn't have picked a nicer place to stay. The staff greeted us warmly and we were shown to our rooms immediately. The riad was beautifully decorated and restored to its original grandeur and our rooms were immaculate and very comfortable. We were travelling with our daughter and family which included a 17 month old child. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home and let us use their fridge for extra milk and food for the little one. The manager was very friendly and gave us lots of information on what to see in the medina. The location was perfect and so close to everything we wanted to see. It was very easy to find our way back each day and night.....not at all complicated. We enjoyed our breakfast every morning in the sitting area in the courtyard watching the resident turtle make his way around much to the delight of our grandson. The view from the rooftop terrace was breathtaking and a welcome respite after a day in the markets. As for the call to prayer..it wasn't intrusive and it is Morocco! It only added to our experience. When it was time to leave, Hanane arranged for our bags to be picked up on time and a taxi to take us to our next location. We had no complaints whatsoever and would highly recommend Riad Chorfa to singles, couples or families. We would go back there in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

This Riad was beautiful. Granted this was our first trip to Marrakech and our first stay in a Riad so we had nothing to compare it to. Our adventure began at the airport and continued via taxi to the city walls, then a hurried race through the streets to the Riad. We were thinking OMG what are we getting ourselves into? Then the doors to the Riad opened and we were so relieved to see such a beautiful and quite space.
The staff was very helpful, the rooms were very large and grand. We always had food available, got great advise from the staff and in general were sorry to leave 4 days later for a train ride to Fez. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Of the 3 riads I visited in Morocco, this was by far the worst. First off, I enjoy the refurbishing and attention to decorating of the good riads, and Riad Chorfa seemed to be refurbished quick and cheap - a definite cut below in terms of the decorative details. Others have done this MUCH better, but Chorfa just seemed tacky and chinzty in its decoration. No biggy, but.... the rest was perhaps just my bad luck: first room, the air conditioning didn't work. Second room, the floor was literally covered and crawling with ants. Third room, the air condition began raining water down right above the bed around midnight, such that I was afraid to use it the rest of the night. Hot and miserable, and there was not even a simple fan available as replacement. Next morning, their pre-arranged, pre-paid and overpriced (15 Euros) ride to the airport never showed up. So I paid extra for another taxi, available anyway right out on the main drag. I mentioned this problem in a followup email to the host. She had been very responsive pre-visit, but now that I am gone forever, not a peep from her. I hope she donates that 15 Euros to someone needy!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
brugge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Hello,
I travel several times a year to Marrakech, I tried alot of Riads and hotels, and I always come to the conclusion that it is the best place to stay for your money
The rooms are very big and very nice and I don't know about other travelers but when you want your towels to be changed, the rules in hotels is, put them on the ground so the staff knows you need a new one !
You may ask everything at the staff, nothing is to much ! II always stay for a long period so I know what I'm talking about. I read in comments that people are not happy to hear the prayers at 5am, if you cannot stand that,dont go to Morocco !
Big hugs for the whole staff and the owner ! Erika from Brugge, Belgium !

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Haarlem, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Location is great (in medina/market area) - if you are good with reading maps or have a sense of direction, otherwise you may not find your way back to the riad through the winding alleyways. It is also directly next to a mosque, so for light sleepers bring ear plugs for the 5 AM call to prayers over the loud speakers.
The building is historical and pretty, also clean. Unfortunately the mattresses, bedspreads, and cushions throughout the riad date back as old as the building itself and made a dirty impression. If I hadn't already paid (way too much) for this riad through my travel agent (Marocco online in the Netherlands), we would have left after seeing the rooms because of this.
Upon arrival we were parked in the cozy sitting area for drinks, and then had to ask after 30 minutes to see the rooms. It was a bit of an awkward and strange 'welcome'. The English speaking manager is only available in the afternoon (who was very helpful and friendly) but we arrived in the morning. We had booked two single beds and they first gave us a room with a double (and sagging mattress), then a very small room. Finally after insisting on seeing another room, we were given one that was more spacious with twin beds but not a private WC.
There was a computer with free internet, but not all the keys on the keyboard were working so I gave up after 10 minutes of trying to copy and paste letters just to enter my name and password to my email account.
Also note that it is in the medina, so taxis cannot get you there. You have to walk about 10 minutes with your luggage (or pay someone to do this for you) through winding streets/alleyways.
If you pay the price on their website - Euro 70-80 for the room with two people total, then I think that is reasonable for the location, and a simple breakfast is included. Seeing that we paid almost twice that, we were seriously disappointed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Chorfa? Share your experiences!