“Fantastic Location, relaxing environment, very acommodating” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Maia

Save Saved
You added Riad Dar Maia to your Saves list
Riad Dar Maia
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   31 Derb Zouina | riad zitoune Jdid- medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #313 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Location, relaxing environment, very acommodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed 4 nights at Riad Maia and loved every minute of it. From the evening we arrived we were made to feel very welcome with yummy mint tea on arrival to the relaxed homely ambience after a day exploring the souks. Even though Alex and Lolita are currently spending time running their new restaurant they were always on hand to help us out whenever we needed them and all trips/transfers and such like ran incredibly smoothly throughout our stay, We were lucky enough to pretty much have the riad to ourselves, however all of the rooms are similar and very comfortable, just bring the standard toiletries soap etc. Loved meeting the resident tortoise and breakfast on the terrace was a personal favourite to relax before heading out into the hustle and bustle! The location is perfect for accessing all the main tourist attractions and would highly recommend the Ourika Valley trip as you only really need two days in the city. Once you have sampled the traditional Moroccan food, Alex's new restaurant is a great place to watch the sunset with some tapas and a beer. All round great experience and I am sure we will be back in the future.
Jess and Tom

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights and were made to feel very welcome by Alex and his wife. What a lovely friendly couple! Alex picked us up from the airport and provided us with a very helpful insight into Marrakesh, especially valuable as it was our first visit. Alex offered us delicious mint tea on arrival which was much appreciated. The riad was so peaceful, perfect after a day exploring the hectic souks. Our room (turquoise) was basic but comfortable and clean. Shower was great. Breakfast on the terrace was just right, fresh orange juice, coffee, pancakes with jam, basket of bread and a yogurt. The terrace is great and we spent many an afternoon relaxing in the sunshine looking at the atlas mountains. Would highly recommend and wouldn't hesitate staying here again if we come back to marrakesh. Thank you Alex.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed 3 nights with Alex and Lolita, book-ending our trip. They (and their staff) could not have been more welcoming or accommodating from the moment we arrived - and we had special requirements as we were bringing touring cycles.

The Riad dar Maia is a gorgeous, tranquil Riad, 6 minutes walk from the Place Djema el Fna. Clean and safe with a lovely roof terrace for breakfast and sunning.

We hope to be back.

Lindsay and Oliver

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I arrived in Marrakech after some very tranquil time spent in Imlil. Suffice it to say, Marrakech is the polar opposite of Imlil. We arrived later in the evening. We were dropped off by our driver from a tour company we had hired to take us through the mountains. There was an issue with the parking people wanting to carry our bags and get paid and sadly when we arrived at Dar Maia (a little bit difficult to find) our driver didn't know exactly where it was because no one answered the phone at the dar. We needed change for the porters and no one had, and our hostess at the dar only spoke French and Arabic (the two languages I don't speak). She quickly got Lolita on her cell phone for me to ask some questions (the owners, Alex and Lolita were not at the dar on a regular basis while we were there). Lolita explained that someone else would be at the dar shortly, luckily he spoke Spanish and we were able to find out a restaurant to go to and he helped us find our way to Djemaa el Fna. He was very helpful.

The next morning we had breakfast on the rooftop terrace which was lovely. Alex and Lolita arrived a little bit late and thus we got started our day later than we had hoped (given that we were sampling the entire country of Morocco we had limited time in each place we visited). They assisted us with getting our bus tickets to go to Agadir and told us about the spa they use for traditional hammams. We decided to go with their recommendation. Alex had told me that he would arrange a time, but never left word for me whether or not it was booked. The hostess' cell phone battery was charging and so she couldn't call Lolita to verify until it was charged, and was making our breakfast 10 minutes before we were supposed to be at our hammam. Once she verified with Alex she walked us to the hammam for our reservation and it was closed. We had to walk back to the dar and get in touch with Alex to find out who to contact about our appointment so we could find somewhere else to go if need be before we left for Agadir. 20 minutes later the spa opened and we had our hammam.

We went with Alex's recommendation for this hammam after he explained to us that because he works with them so closely his guests for certain will get exactly what they pay for. I think you should do your research and find a different hammam - there are literally thousands to choose from in Marrakech. The girls at ours were talking on their cell phones and texting - it was unprofessional to a degree and there was a monstrous cockroach climbing up the wall in the hammam room while my husband and I were in there.

Our room however - the turquoise room (Salma I believe) was beautiful. The turquoise room has such beautiful color.

The contact that we had with Lolita before we arrived in Marrakech was great. Her and Alex gave my husband and I their cell phone numbers and advised us to get a phone card and we could call them ourselves if we needed anything.

The location of the dar was fabulous - very close to Djemaa el Fna and the rest of the medina but far enough away that you don't hear the noise of the plaza.

To be fair and honest, I don't believe that our experience was the "norm" for Riad Dar Maia, it was just unfortunately our experience . . . timing can be everything . . . and French, next time we should brush up on our French. Just look at the other reviews . . . they are very contrasting to ours . . but it can happen.

Room Tip: Rooms above the ground level are best for reduced noise. We loved the turquoise room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed for four nights at Dar Maia in January and would definitely recommend it. The hosts Alex and Lolita were welcoming, friendly and helpful, as were all the staff. I felt like part of the family and it was extremely relaxing, very clean and well kept with simple but lovely furnishings.
I enjoyed breakfast on the roof terrace, and you can relax there at night and listen to the bustle of the city and the sounds of the call to prayer from nearby minarets.
There was opportunity to book some excursions and I went to one at Cascades de ouzoud, which was a wonderful day out.
I brought a few extra pyjama layers as it can be cold in January!

Room Tip: It might be nice to stay in the very top room (I was on the ground floor near the entrance) which is...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Dar Maia has a great location close to the Djemma al Finna but just far enough away to be out of the craziness and noise. It is small and cozy with a beautiful terrace that is nice for enjoying breakfast or just looking out over the city. The owners and employees are all very sweet and helpful and were always happy to help us with whatever we needed. The rooms are simple but nice and the whole place is very clean and well kept. My friends and I stayed four days here and would definitely stay again.

Thanks Alex!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I arrived on very short notice and in peak season, but Alex was extremely helpful, even finding me accommodation nearby, when their Riad was full. He helped plan a perfect adventure in Morocco, suggesting Trips and great accom' in Essaouira. He and his wife took a very personal interest in my well being and comfort, even though very busy opening a new restaurant, the first and only Spanish one in Marrekesh (a welcome change from the delightful tagines everywhere else).
I can not commend the place, location or themselves enough. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Riad Dar Maia? Share your experiences!