“Great location, beautiful rooms, lacking personal touch” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Maia

Save Saved
You added Riad Dar Maia to your Saves list
Riad Dar Maia
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   31 Derb Zouina | riad zitoune Jdid- medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #311 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Great location, beautiful rooms, lacking personal touch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I arrived in Marrakech after some very tranquil time spent in Imlil. Suffice it to say, Marrakech is the polar opposite of Imlil. We arrived later in the evening. We were dropped off by our driver from a tour company we had hired to take us through the mountains. There was an issue with the parking people wanting to carry our bags and get paid and sadly when we arrived at Dar Maia (a little bit difficult to find) our driver didn't know exactly where it was because no one answered the phone at the dar. We needed change for the porters and no one had, and our hostess at the dar only spoke French and Arabic (the two languages I don't speak). She quickly got Lolita on her cell phone for me to ask some questions (the owners, Alex and Lolita were not at the dar on a regular basis while we were there). Lolita explained that someone else would be at the dar shortly, luckily he spoke Spanish and we were able to find out a restaurant to go to and he helped us find our way to Djemaa el Fna. He was very helpful.

The next morning we had breakfast on the rooftop terrace which was lovely. Alex and Lolita arrived a little bit late and thus we got started our day later than we had hoped (given that we were sampling the entire country of Morocco we had limited time in each place we visited). They assisted us with getting our bus tickets to go to Agadir and told us about the spa they use for traditional hammams. We decided to go with their recommendation. Alex had told me that he would arrange a time, but never left word for me whether or not it was booked. The hostess' cell phone battery was charging and so she couldn't call Lolita to verify until it was charged, and was making our breakfast 10 minutes before we were supposed to be at our hammam. Once she verified with Alex she walked us to the hammam for our reservation and it was closed. We had to walk back to the dar and get in touch with Alex to find out who to contact about our appointment so we could find somewhere else to go if need be before we left for Agadir. 20 minutes later the spa opened and we had our hammam.

We went with Alex's recommendation for this hammam after he explained to us that because he works with them so closely his guests for certain will get exactly what they pay for. I think you should do your research and find a different hammam - there are literally thousands to choose from in Marrakech. The girls at ours were talking on their cell phones and texting - it was unprofessional to a degree and there was a monstrous cockroach climbing up the wall in the hammam room while my husband and I were in there.

Our room however - the turquoise room (Salma I believe) was beautiful. The turquoise room has such beautiful color.

The contact that we had with Lolita before we arrived in Marrakech was great. Her and Alex gave my husband and I their cell phone numbers and advised us to get a phone card and we could call them ourselves if we needed anything.

The location of the dar was fabulous - very close to Djemaa el Fna and the rest of the medina but far enough away that you don't hear the noise of the plaza.

To be fair and honest, I don't believe that our experience was the "norm" for Riad Dar Maia, it was just unfortunately our experience . . . timing can be everything . . . and French, next time we should brush up on our French. Just look at the other reviews . . . they are very contrasting to ours . . but it can happen.

Room Tip: Rooms above the ground level are best for reduced noise. We loved the turquoise room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed for four nights at Dar Maia in January and would definitely recommend it. The hosts Alex and Lolita were welcoming, friendly and helpful, as were all the staff. I felt like part of the family and it was extremely relaxing, very clean and well kept with simple but lovely furnishings.
I enjoyed breakfast on the roof terrace, and you can relax there at night and listen to the bustle of the city and the sounds of the call to prayer from nearby minarets.
There was opportunity to book some excursions and I went to one at Cascades de ouzoud, which was a wonderful day out.
I brought a few extra pyjama layers as it can be cold in January!

Room Tip: It might be nice to stay in the very top room (I was on the ground floor near the entrance) which is...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Dar Maia has a great location close to the Djemma al Finna but just far enough away to be out of the craziness and noise. It is small and cozy with a beautiful terrace that is nice for enjoying breakfast or just looking out over the city. The owners and employees are all very sweet and helpful and were always happy to help us with whatever we needed. The rooms are simple but nice and the whole place is very clean and well kept. My friends and I stayed four days here and would definitely stay again.

Thanks Alex!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I arrived on very short notice and in peak season, but Alex was extremely helpful, even finding me accommodation nearby, when their Riad was full. He helped plan a perfect adventure in Morocco, suggesting Trips and great accom' in Essaouira. He and his wife took a very personal interest in my well being and comfort, even though very busy opening a new restaurant, the first and only Spanish one in Marrekesh (a welcome change from the delightful tagines everywhere else).
I can not commend the place, location or themselves enough. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Senor Alex kindly meet us on our arrival at the airport and transferred us to Riad Dar Maia which is just a few minutes walk from the Jamaa al Fna.

The Riad was clean and peaceful with a delcious breakfast each day! We were made to feel very welcome. Our room itself was lovely and bright (Yasmine) with beautiful bedding and even rose petals were laid out on our arrival. The only minor thing was that our room had a curtain instead of a door in the bathroom, but that was ok and the other rooms seemed to be the same in this regard.

A very enjoyable stay in a fantastic central location, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

A great find! Though just a few minutes walk from the Jamaa al Fna, Riad Dar Maia was peaceful and charming and provided a comfortable respite from the noise and bustle of the souks. This was our first trip to Morocco/Marrakech, and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful in providing guidance for our explorations of the Medina and surrounding areas. We loved our romantic room, and having breakfast in the courtyard. Don't miss the rooftop terrace (open to all guests), which has a great view of the city. We spent 3 days/nights there, and are very much looking forward to our next trip!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at this comfortable and peaceful Riad. Location is perfect as it is in the center of the Media. The value is good, the hosts and staff were attentive and provided great information. I only wish i could of stayed there longer.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Riad Dar Maia? Share your experiences!