“Lovely Riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Karmela

Save Saved
You added Riad Karmela to your Saves list
Riad Karmela
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Derb El Feranne Azbetz | Place Ben Salah, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Special Deal
One free airport transfer
Ranked #103 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
cheshire
“Lovely Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Just returned from three nights in the Riad Karmela. What a lovely place. We arrived round 8pm and sat in the courtyard this was a lovely area beautifully decorated and had dinner which was a very nice three course meal, very tasty and lots of it. We we're upgraded to a suite which was again a very beautifully decorated room and bathroom. Breakfast was buffet style, it was adequate but I would like to have seen the food covered up. The riad is very clean throughout. The staff are friendly and helpful. The Riad is in a busy area but once inside you just relax. We loved it!
It's a short walk from the main square and once you get your bearings it's quite easy to get back to.
It very easy to get lost in the Medina when the locals can see that your lost they offer help but it's always for a fee and usually bypass a relatives shop, just don't listen to people when they say that the road you want to go down is closed because it won't be!!!! They just try to send you back in the direction of their businesses.
We had a taxi organised by the Riad to and from the airport. The pick up from the airport went very smoothly but returning not quite so. I emailed Joel, the owner of the Riad and told him what happened which I won't go into but he has since spoken to the firm in question and reassured me that it won't happen again to future guests.
Overall the stay and experience of Marrakech is something everyone should try.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

This was my surprise 40th birthday present and I couldn't be happier. First of all the riad was beautiful , considering the location it was very quiet and a lovely escape from the chaotic streets outside. The riad staff collected us from the airport they looked after us for our entire trip and the return to the airport.
We arrived late at night and had the traditional meal on the roof tops , it was a great way to start the holiday and we highly recommend Moroccan rose wine - very highly rated in the guidebooks and we have to agree.
The riad is wonderfully decorated and the doors to the rooms were ornate and wonderful to look at !
On the first night we were in a room on the ground floor which backed onto the alleyway, this was very noisy and at 1am we still couldn't get to sleep. We mentioned this to the staff and the following day we had been upgraded free of charge to a superior room, you cannot complain about service like that.
On the third day we did the Atlas Mountains trip with other guests and we both highly recommend it to anyone - it ticked all our boxes and was worth every penny.
As I didn't know where I was going I had into packed flip flops, these were no good for the trek so the staff went out and bought a pair of walking shoes and socks for me, again that quality of service stays with you.
The breakfast on the roof terrace was perfect.
Overall I cannot recommend this place enough and if you are thinking of going to Marrakech then book here you won't be disappointed. You do pay more for transfers, food etc then if you arranged it locally but considering the service you receive you can't fault it.
The staff are brilliant and attentive and the riad is clean and beautiful , the service all round was spot on, we will be returning.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Upon first arrival was a little skeptical about the area, but once you enter the Riad....wow! The decor is beautiful for starters. The rooms are so well decorated and the courtyards too. The breakfast is nice and simple with quite a bit of choice rather enjoyable. Dinner at the Riad is lovely! All the food is delicious best I had while in Marrakech. The staff are so friendly and make you feel very comfortable, you can ask them for anything (within reason) and they are happy to provide for you. They really did make my first stay in Marrakech so enjoyable, can't wait to go back! I would 100% recommend it to anyone I'm sure you'd love it.

• Stayed June 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Thank you Riad Karmela for making our trip to Marrakech absolutely amazing! We were three girls from London visiting Marrakech for the 1st time and Riad Karmela made our visit one to remember.We organised a few trips with the riad including camel riding, quad biking and a breath-taking visit to the Atlas mountains. Everything organised by the riad went smoothly and we have amazing memories. The riad itself was gorgeous with beautiful morroccan interior which was colourful and clean- even though it is situiated right in the medina, the nights are so peaceful and quiet. Breakfast was yummy with a selection of bread, eggs, fruits, juices and many more delicious foods. Really cannot fault this beautiful riad, everything about it was perfect. Just want to say a massive thank you to the Riad for making our trip so memorable and thank you to Sayeed for helping us out with payment issues and organising such incredible trips for us, thank you Jamal for our late night chats about faith and all the shisha and finally thank you Mustafa for all the fun memories (pacha was the best! thank you for taking us there!!!). If you want your time in Marrakech to be one filled with lovely memories, I 100% recommend Riad Karmela.

Room Tip: We stayed in Al Manzoor which was perfect. Very quiet with a lovely view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Most wonderful hotel. Great service. Excellent staff. Clean hotel and rooms. Wonderful terrace. Great dinners. Nice lunches, Simple breakfast. Beautiful common areas. Friendly elder guests. Unusual lack of noise a big plus.
Entertaining tortoises.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

First thing I will say is...WOOW!!
This place is absolutely beautiful! From the moment we stepped in everything was perfect, from the decor to the food to the service. This is a perfect place to stay if you want to be local to the beauty of Marrakech but want somewhere peaceful too. Thank you to all the staff that greeted us and welcomed us like it was our own home, especially Bushra, said, Jamal, Mustafa and saad for providing a wonderful experience for me and my friends. I would definitely recommend this Riad to absolutely anyone and this will be my choice every time I go to Marrakech. Thank you all so much!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Suffolk, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My first trip to Marrakesh. I was not prepared for the sights, sounds and smells but very quickly got used to it. The Riad was fantastically beautiful. All terraces were decorated with typical Moroccan furniture and fabrics. Rooftop terraces were planted with sweet smelling shrubs and everywhere was well maintained. You would never know the Riad was in the location it is as there are so many narrow alleyways. A real jewel but make sure you arrange a taxi with the Riad because you would never find the it without a guide. The alleyways to the Souks took some getting used to. There were crowded, smelly and very noisy. Every sense is awakened in Marrakesh but definitely a humbling experience, one which I plan to repeat with other members of my family as soon as I can. We went on a day trip to the Atlas Mountains and had a meal with a Berber family in their own home. A small tip, take sturdy walking boots or comfortable trainers because the climb up the mountain to see the waterfalls is quite hard but well worth the effort. The spice markets are worth going to behind the main souks. Always haggle, the Moroccans expect it. Fantastic 5 day holiday, quite different from your "usual" break in the sun.

Room Tip: Every single room is beautifully decorated, the communal courtyards and roof top terraces are clean...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Karmela? Share your experiences!