“The best part of Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Karmela

Save Saved
You added Riad Karmela to your Saves list
Riad Karmela
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Derb El Feranne Azbetz | Place Ben Salah, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Special Price
early booker summer 2014
Ranked #96 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“The best part of Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Honestly, I wont recommend anyone to stay in the 'old town' during your visit. I think Marrakech is a dangerous place to go by your own, unless you have a group of 5+. It might be OK.
Fortunately, I found this peaceful raid online, my hubby and I like this Riad a lot. It is the only comfortable and safe place in this 'maze' (old town).
In the first night, we stayed in a small old room, which isn't comfortable at all. The room was cold and smelly. So, we requested for a change of room. The manager was very helpful, he checked the vacancy, and immediate swapped the room for us. We were so impressed.
The riad offered lovely continental breakfast, I really enjoy the fresh orange juice everyday. The places outside the riad is a chaos, so, my hubby and I preferred to come back earlier and enjoyed our drinks and snack here. The atmosphere in the raid is romantic and with detailed Moroccan decorations. We love it!!
I would recommend Riad Karmela to all of you if you really want to stay in the old town.

879 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Fleet, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at Riad Karmela and really enjoyed it. Such a beautiful and peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of the Medina. Good location, nicely decorated rooms, lovely roof terrace, helpful staff, excellent food.....what more could you want!
I would highly recommend this Riad and hope to return in the near future.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Disclaimer: I was not in Riad karmela but in its sister riad which is just opposite.However, the breakfast, check in check out is in riad karmela.
I was here with my dad for 2 days but we liked it so much we extended our stay by another day. First about the riad, we were upgraded to a better room (though i forget the name) and the room was very beautiful and authetically decorated. The tranquility and authentic decor in riad (karmala and its sister riad) couldn't be in more contrast with its surroundings. Joel gives an excellent info session when you check in to explain the surroundings and how to get about. I think this is of utmost importance.
While we did have some minor problems like clogged bathroom, patchy wireless or low water pressure ..wherever possible our issues were dealth with swiftly and immediately and the service was no less than a 5 star. (ofcourse it helps if you keep in mind that you cant expect marrkech to have same infrastructure as a western city and so theres nothing the riad can do about certain things) We left early mornings before the start of their breakfast and they always gave us breakfast spread early in morning or a packet on last day for our journey onward. We really appreciated that.
the only negative about the room which I can think of is the room seemed to be dimly lit. Bascially we had a bed area and a sitting area and there was no light in the sitting area and the bed area light wasnt enough for the size of the room.

We also did a tour of essouira with the riad. The vehicle was very comfortable..very safe driver and the price seemed to be correct so highly recommend any excursions with the riad.

I think it is pertinent to mention a word about its location. First of all, dont even bother trying to get their on your own. Seriously!! book their cab. Second, dont be afriad of the surroundings..the riad is really very good once you go inside. While many wont be used to such surroundings, it is very safe except for boys wanting money to show you directions so just ignore them. Third, you do need a good sense of orientation to move around..if you are here for longer time you should be fine in a day or two once you are familiar with the area. The main square is about 10 - 12 mins walk from the riad but you pass thru various souks so its not a boring walk.

Tip: The riad had the best exchange rate for Euros/GBP to dirhams during our whole trip in Morocco!! so exchange the bare minimum at airport and the rest in riad. Also you can pay them in Euros/GBP.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Everything about the Riad Karmela is ideal. It is in an excellent location, good, decent rooms, gorgeous roof terrace (make sure you go up for sunset the views are wonderful) beautiful inside and nice pleasant staff. I found Joel's introduction regarding finding your way around the medina essential and an excellent idea. We booked a driver to pick us up from the airport, not something I would usually do because I enjoy the challenge of finding places - if I hadn't though I don't think I would have ever found it so it is advisable! My partner and I booked a massage which was excellent and very relaxing after a long day of bartering in the souks! Don't stay at this Riad if you want 5 star luxury hotel standard Hilton-style accommodation - this is not what staying in the Medina is about. If you want to stay in a generic hotel that looks like every hotel in the world then book the Ibis in the new town. If you want a genuine authentic trip to Marrakech then stay at Riad Karmela.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The contrast between the busy Medina and the quiet oasis that is Riad karmela, is the point of staying here. We have just spent our first ever visit here and the professional attitude of the staff is exemplary. We had an excellent dinner on our first night which turned out to be the best food we had on our trip.

The view from the terrace of the sun setting on the Atlas mountains was as romantic as we imagined. Our room was beautifully designed and decorated.

we will come back next year.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Myself and my Mum stayed for 3 nights at the start of December. Beautiful Riad with real character in every room and a wonderful roof garden. Real oasis away from the noise and buzz of the city. Highly recommend eating at Karmela- we had 2 dinners there, which were 3 courses of fantastic Moroccan cuisine; the vegetable pastilla and lamb tagine were particularly excellent. The wine is local and also very good. The staff were fantastic and always keen to help. We also had a massage at the Riad which was great value and very relaxing. Once you work out the route (which isn’t difficult- but do pay attention to the map and don’t listen to the locals directing you) it is less than ten minutes to the main square. Fantastic stay for anyone looking to be in the heart of Marrakesh and I hope to go back in the summer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at Riad Karmela with a group of friends... we had a really good experience! Nice location a few steps from all the Marrakech attractions (Medersa, Souks, Maison de la Photographie, Jamaa El Fna Square...). We really felt at home enjoying the Riad life! The staff was great and really helpful! I would definetely book Riad Karmela again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Karmela? Share your experiences!