“A little Hidden Gem in a Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Karmela

You added Riad Karmela to your Saves list
Riad Karmela
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Derb El Feranne Azbetz | Place Ben Salah, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Special Deal
FREE AIRPORT TRANSFERT
Ranked #110 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
Geneva, Switzerland
“A little Hidden Gem in a Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I spent 4 days with a group of 11 girlfriends at Riad Karmela in November 2011. We were actually in Petit Karmela which is adjacent to the main Riad. All I can say is, look no further for an affordable & beautiful Riad in Marrakesh. This is truly a wonderful establishment and because of Joel, Bouchra & Kamel's kindness (& other staff members who's names I don't remember), we had a fantastic and memorable holiday. No request is too big or too small at Riad Karmela, the team will suggest and book excellent restaurants, tour guides, day trips etc at very reasonable prices. As suggested in many of the below reviews, I would definitely recommend that you book airport transfers with the Riad as it would be difficult to find on your own and apparently the local taxi drivers rarely drop you off in the correct place.

The location is excellent & only a 5 minute walk into Marche des Epice (the spice market) & the Souks. Joel will give you all the directions you will need on day one, on how to get around by foot - so pay attention, he certainly knows his stuff!!

The hotel has a small spa and a few of my friends used the hammam and had massages & they really enjoyed it. For a true 5 star experience/afternoon of indulgence, make sure you book Les Bains Des Marrakesh: http://www.lesbainsdemarrakech.com/spa-en.html. It is an absolutely sensational spa, with the best massage I have ever had & the most delicious Moroccan biscuits! I would go back to Marrakesh for a weekend, just to visit here again & Riad Karmela of course!

My absolutely favorite restaurant of the holiday was Palais Jad Mahal: http://www.bestrestaurantsmaroc.com/en/restaurant-maroc/palais-jad-mahal.html. Really amazing food if you want a break from eating tagines & fantastic ambiance, live music, belly dancers & there's a club downstairs. A little bit pricey, but worth every penny! Steer clear of the tourist trap Chez Ali, it was a total waste of money for us! The Al-Fassia restaurant is also excellent for Moroccan food: http://www.bestrestaurantsmaroc.com/en/restaurant-maroc/al-fassia-gueliz.html. The portions are ABSOLUTELY HUGE though, so go hungry or share one between two!

The Riad has a beautiful roof terrace with lots of little niches if you want privacy. Even in November we were able to use the terrace for a few days of our stay and we had a wonderful aperitif on the main terrace on one of the nights. This was for my birthday and the staff made it look beautiful with candles everywhere, a beautiful table cloth, gorgeous Moroccan tapas, grilled sardines etc. I was also offered a free bottle of wine and a beautiful bunch of flowers in my room.

Honestly, look no further for a truly amazing Marrakesh experience, you will be treated like royalty at Riad Karmela. You won't want to leave & I can't wait to go back!

Merci mille fois Joel, Bouchra et Kamal!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Malcolm and Frances, London
After navigating a maze of alleys in the heart of the Medina, you enter a beautiful Riad, with fine architecture, orange trees and a variety of sitting areas each very quiet and relaxed. The bedroom is fine, breakfasts are excellent, the staff very helpful and the mint tea and biscuits on arrival very much appreciated. We went on a very good value British Airways package and would highly recommend

Room Tip: Higher rooms have balconies but are more expensive. Our room was standard and very good.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Duesseldrf Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed here Dec.24-26, 2011.
We asked transportation service from airport to the hotel.
The hotel cannot be reached directly by car. It takes about 5 minutes from closest car spot to this Riad.

This Riad is located in the center of Souk.
It takes for 5-7 minutes walk to El Fna.

Staffs were very friendly.
They had 3 Courtyards. Everywhere was stylishly decorated with Moroccan taste.
Beautiful courtyards were very comfortable and we felt like our own house.
They had 2 computers and 1 printer which we could use at any time. Useful to print maps and on-line check in.

Breakfast was Buffet style from 8:00.
It was rich in variety.
Many kinds of bread, cheese, ham, omelet,
Dry or fresh fruits, Yogurt, Cereal, Coffee, Tea, Fresh squeezed orange juice, ,etc.
When we had to leave this Riad at early morning due to departure for desert tour, they kindly prepared breakfast for us before the departure.

We could see good sign “←Riad Karmela” at some key corners on the way from the Souk.
These sign were very helpful. We never lost our way back to Riad during our stay.

We had a memorable visit in Marrakech! Thank you !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Orleans, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Nous revenons du Riad Karmela, nous y avons passé 5 jours avec des prestations de qualité !

le plus c'est que ce Riad se trouve à 5 minutes à pieds de la place Jemma El Fna et surtout que pour s'y rendre il faut passer dans de toutes petites ruelles avec des marchands de part et d'autre. il ne faut pas avoir peur car là bas aucune agressivité de la part des habitants, juste beaucoup de gentillesse et surtout d'envie de vous vendre un produit :-), mais ça on le sais tous et ça fais parti du charme de ces ruelles.

Pour bien se balader, il faut bien écouter les conseils de Joël le patron du Ria qui sont bien meilleur que les guides à touristes qui du coup deviennent inutiles.

Merci à toute l'équipe du Karmela,

Cyril et Jérémie

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

This Riad was a fantastic place to escape from the busy maze of the medina. There were many great small spaces to sit and relax with a drink, including a very nice terrace area. The staff were generally very helpful in organising tours and transport. My wife and I did feel extremely uncomfortable walking back to this Riad after dark however. On both of the recommended walking routes back from the main square on two different occasions we were harrassed and intimidated by a number of groups - this was not unusual of large parts of our trip to Morocco though! Given this we decided to enjoy the medina by day and the ambience of the Riad at night. The riad had a number of directional signs around the medina to confirm how to get back which was very helpful, as with all medinas in Morocco it is very very easy to get horribly lost. The dinner was good quality - we felt more comfortable doing this than finding food at night. Recommend this Riad for its ambience if you are comfortable with some difficulty getting to and from this location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

I travel quite often, usually preferring to stay in known brand hotels, so this was a break from the familiar so to speak, as I wanted to experience something traditional.
I was not dissapointed at all! This Riad is a beautiful, charming Oasis slap bang in the middle of all the hustle and bussle of Marrakech and yet so peacefully quiet once you are inside that it's difficult to comprehend the contrast.
It is less than 10 minutes walk from the crazy Jama Al Fena square.
Once you're in Place Ben Salah coming from the square the Riad is discreetly sign posted on corners of buildings which I found very helpful.
I travelled from Agadir to Marrakech by coach. Within minutes of making my booking Bouchra was emailing me and patiently replying to my questions on how to get there once I disembarked at the coach station.
I called from Place Ben Salah and within a few minutes some one from the Riad came to guide me and take my luggage.
I was welcomed by Bouchra with a warm mint tea and traditional sweets. She then sat down with me and explained the main attractions, places to eat, techniques in haggling for the right price and what I should expect to pay from the quoted price-this advice was invaluable! During my stay all the staff were extremely friendly, very pleasant and helpful.
The Riad itself is very beautifully and thoughtfully decorated.
It has pretty much everything from a log fire to various common rooms and court yards.
Wifi is free through out the hotel and you can use their PC to check mail etc. The rooms are nice and cozy and again tastefully done up.
I only had one slight reservation which was that there's no outside lock to lock the door when you go out. Although there is a a small safe for money and valuables.
Having said that, it was my first experience in a Riad and considering the building was built in the 1880s  perhaps that's how it's meant to be.
All in all a great place to stay, wonderful people and I'd most definitely stay here if I came back to Marrakech.

• Stayed December 2011
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

As soon as you walk through the front door, Riad Karmela makes you feel relaxed in the middle of a crazy city! We had a very friendly and helpful welcome where the member of staff told us about how to get to different places in the Medina so we wouldn't get lost. In the main courtyard there are birds and tortoises (which you have to be careful not to tread on!)
There are lots of different smaller courtyards set back from the main one, with the rooms surrounding each one. Our room was quite basic, but clean and comfortable - great bathroom.
The free breakfast was good - we didn't try the dinner the hotel offers, but it's 25 Euro per person.
One disadvantage could be that there are no outside locks on the rooms - you have to place your trust in the other guests! But the main door to the Riad itself is always locked.
The Riad also offers a Hammam and massages, but you can get these cheaper at other Hammams around the city.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple