“A sparkling gem in the heart of the Medina” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palais Sebban

Save Saved
You added Palais Sebban to your Saves list
Palais Sebban
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43 Derb Moulay Abdellah Ben Hsseine | Quartier Laksour, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #198 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Penarth
“A sparkling gem in the heart of the Medina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

When we arrived the neighbouring Riad was having the lane resurfaced (it's so much better now for those who have found it a pain!) Down a couple of twisting lanes to an innocuous big wooden door on a featureless wall..... oh my... as soon as you walk from the midday heat of Marrakech through the cool dark cave-like hall and through another large ornate wooden door your senses are instantly assaulted by a riad of such craftsmanship and beauty it is hard to comprehend. (It is also totally impossible to show the beauty of this Riad in a photograph!). We were greeted by the superb Faisal with hot mint tea and delicious Morrocan sweet cakes and shown around this most magical of Riads. We were booked into a 'basic' deluxe and were absolutely blown away by our little nest. Dark and cosy and totally authentic, from the intricately carved wood and stunning painted panels to the 'double' door with the [pretty tricky first time] locking centre. Now... I'm being honest... I REALLY didn't fancy a trip to Marrakech, this was a treat for the hubby as it's somewhere he's always wanted to go... but within the first few minutes of being at the Palais Sebban I was hooked! We decided to eat in the first night, tiny little beautifully decorated restaurant with a limited but nonetheless delicious menu. My husband had the beef tagine and I (feeling a bit crook after a week of flu) opted for a lighter choice of the salmon pate (actually a salmon carbonara!) blimmin lovely! Sitting outside in the square in the riad at night with the heater over our table drinking the {slighly pricey} g&t and delicious Casablanca beer, washed down with some mint tea was a delight. The staff are absolutely wonderful - Faizal, Mohammed, Abdul to name just a few - fabulous throughout. The hotel is kept beautifully clean and has a faintly shabby chic about it - perfect old Palais! We dined in the main square on our second night (this was a whistle-stop 3 nighter!) after having spent the day with a wonderful guide... I shall be reviewing this star shortly!...traipsing through the heart of the Medina - which was great fun and good to be slightly above the madness and choas that a Saturday night in the square holds! It was my birthday on our last full day and the staff went out of their way to make it special - everyone seemed to know and I had a chorus of happy birthday at every turn. We plumped to have our last evening meal at the Palais Sebban so had ordered the previous day one of the house specials (I'll probably get the name wrong...) Mechwi - a shoulder of lamb for two which had been slow cooked for ten hours.... get it!! eat it!!! love it!!! It was stunning - and a special candle on the table along with my favourite almond cakes for desert! (Sorry I'm waxing a bit lyrical aren't I!) I just can't get across too strongly how fabulous the Palais Sebban is - the location... right in the heart of everything...the Palais itself... the rooms...the decor... the food... and most importantly the staff! I will most certainly recommend this jewel to all my friends and hopefully make a return trip very soon.

Room Tip: Our roon (Menara) was the basic deluxe and we loved it! Very quite, very compact, quite dark, but at...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
lake district
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed for four nights at the Riad and I shall start with the positiv: Very beautiful roof terrace invites you to linger and public areas very attractive and mostly well kept. The bedroom suite we stayed first in had a lovely "feel", bathroom was not quite so good. On our last night we asked to be moved to a ground floor room, because I broke my ankle, and this was done with efficiency and smiles. That room, although compact, was tastefully furnished with a wetroom. Breakfast plentiful with a welcome Omelete for choice. We had dinner once and found it ok, but overpriced.

Now to the not so good: Comunication amongst the staff is not at it's best. Breakfast was booked for 7.30 and reception told that a driver would pick us up at 8 o'clock. A dark dining room awaited us with no food in sight, the receptionist did his best to send the driver away, saying nobody was downstairs yet. Faulty shower, but messages not passed on, eventually fixed though. Waiter "telling me off" for not signing for drinks in the evening. Same waiter insisting on watching tv, because it was "a very important game". This took place in the very beautiful and cosy lounge with a lovely fire. Mix-up with my borrowed wheelchair on the morning of departure didn't help.
I know, that all these are only "little" things, but in four days it was just too much. Perhaps I just hit it unlucky. Language was at times a problem, but that is my fault for only speaking english and german.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Don't be put off by the short winding alleys to get to this Riad. Upon entering the door you just have to gasp. The place is truely stunning abd beautiful: from the entrance tower dripping with craftsmanship to the amazing wooden, decorated doorways to the rooms. No electronic plastic keys here. The room ( deluxe) was superb, beautifully clean , and comfortable. We had B and B , and the breakfast was well presented and had enough variety to keep most happy. Staff were courteous and helpful . A lovely roof terrace and courtyard made sitting and relaxing a joy. The Riad is right on the edge of the Souks and the main square, so we were able to 'reteat' every few hours to escape the 'full on' experience of Marrakesh- which we loved!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Prior to my first city break visit to Marrakech I had read many reviews about crowds, unwanted attention and the inability of finding ones way around the Medina and was a bit apprehensive - but dived in head first anyway.

This apprehension was not alleviated initially by my first contact with the Palais Sebban. Despite emailing them beforehand to confirm my booking and to ask them to arrange transport from the airport they remained suspiciously quite and when we arrived in Marrakech I still did not know whether transport would be there or not - the answer was 'not'. So we ended up getting a taxi to the Medina and then having our luggage transported in a cart down a couple of back alleys to be left at a very nondescript front door. But then we walked through....

People have described it as being a veritable oasis and it really is like walking into a secret garden. One minute you are in an empty back alley and the next you are in an exotically tiled mini palace. Everywhere you look there is something pleasing to see from the lovely courtyard overlooking the pool, the relaxing sun terrace on the roof to the individually decorated rooms. Once there you are greeted by friendly staff with mint tea and pastries and your Marrakech experience begins.

The 4 days we spent there were very comfortable with clean rooms and fresh towels. The buffet breakfast was plentiful and varied - cereals, fresh fruit, local breads and pastries, conserves, cold meats and cheeses in addition to omelettes on request. We also ate there a couple of times in the evening and although pricey compared with local restaurants the food was delicious. The staff were also very helpful in helping to arrange excursions.

With regards to Marrakech itself, the Palais Sebban is very close to the main square and the souks and easily negotiated. As this was a short trip in an unknown city buying a hop-on-hop-off bus ticket enabled us to travel all around to see the major attractions. With regards to the unwanted attention and hassling, this was mostly good natured ("You buy - cheaper than Asda") and easily countered with a smile and a "No thank you" although the women attempting to give henna tattoos are a bit more forceful and will try and grab your hands as you walk past. All well and good if you actually want a henna tattoo but beware - a lot of them use black henna.

At the end of our stay, unlike the beginning, the staff were very helpful in arranging transfer back to the airport. All in all Marrakech is not to be missed and I would certainly stay again at the Palais Sebban and would definitely recommend it to friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel definitely has the wow factor. It may be tucked away down a small twisty alley but once through the front door it is an oasis of calm and beauty.
The series of courtyards are stunning and the two rooms we had were spacious and comfortable. We had booked deluxe rooms through expedia and got large spacious rooms with a seating area. These had huge double doors that opened out onto a courtyard. As our room and our friends were the only occupied rooms opening on to this at the time it was like having our own private courtyard.
The roof terrace was a wonderful place to sit and plan our day and to relax with a drink on our return.
All the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. Particularly Mohammed who took time to explain the map and suggest trips, as well as organising our taxi back to the airport.
We had a great time and will be back.

Room Tip: Every room in the riad is different and individual so best to call them if you have specific needs.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time staying at Riad Palais Sebban and could not complain. It's a beautiful and gorgeous riad in the heart of the old town where the people of Marrakech live, away from large tourist hotels. It's located in the back streets of the old town but please don't let this put you off as its completely safe and everyone is friendly. Once you enter the modest looking doors to the riad, you find yourself in what seems like paradise.

The rooms (and riad) are beautifully decorated and clean. Some rooms are smaller than others but all clean and perfect for a Moroccan stay. Don't expect a modern, sleek hotel as this is not! If you're after modernity then stay in a typical hotel, but if you're after an experience then look no further than palais sebban. It's 5 minutes walking distance to djamma el Finna, souks and koutobia mosque so perfectly located.

Staff are friendly and helpful and go out of their way to help and make your stay pleasant. The garden dnd pool area is gorgeous and a roof top to die for.

I stayed here in 2011 with my husband and loved it so much I came back with a friend who also has fallen in love with it.

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

The Palais Sebban is accessed down a maze of twisting alleyways....exactly the same way all Riads in Marrakech are. From the minute we stepped through the door into the beautifully renovated cluster of five separate houses around a magnificent original courtyard we were looked after exceptionally well. Our room was spacious, well appointed and cleaned daily to a high standard. The maids were enviably discreet and gracious. The rest of the hotel staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. The Palais Sebban is absolutely ideally situated and from it we walked everywhere, visiting all of Marrakech's treasures without needing a car/taxi once in ten days. Breakfast every day was varied and delicious and the one evening meal we had in the restaurant was some if the best food i have enjoyed in recent years. Moreover it was free, courtesy of the management as we were staying for more than four nights! I would highly recommend this Riad which, in my experience, was exceptional value for money.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Palais Sebban? Share your experiences!