“Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 1,064 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Beach babe in Brighton
“Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Firstly, as other people in their reviews have said, although we had arranged via email (with written confirmation) to be collected from the airport, this didn't happen. We called many times before someone reluctantly agreed to come and get us which meant we waited for over and hour & half at the airport. It was around 38dgs with nothing to do at the airport ... not a good start. The taxi / driver dropped us in the main square and we weren't warned that it was a 30min walk to the Riad, with luggage, through the tiny streets. Talk about sitting ducks! The Riad is quite complicated to find and road names don't exist so if you do stay, take note of how to get around.

The Riad, as someone else has also mentioned, had a constant smell of sewage. We don't know where it came from and no-one ever explained the source of the smell or made an effort to disguise it. This alone was enough to make our stay unpleasant. The Riad is small and could do with some updating in areas. There were three of us, we had booked a 3-bed room but were led to a tiny room with one double bed and one really small seat which was supposed to be the third bed. We complained about the room but were told that the Riad was full so we couldn't move until the following night which we did to a suite which was lovely and twice the size. However, they charged us extra for this even though it was their error. Many arguments ensued and none of us were impressed with their attitude. We were then told that this suite was booked for the last night of our stay so had to move yet again!! Appaling given that we had pre-booked well in advance. The plunge pool was tiny and quite dirty with leaves and muck so none of us were brave enough to go in. We sat there one evening and all of us had scarves over our faces to block the smell of sewage so I can't say that Riad was a relaxing oasis of calm.

The female worker was lovely and worked so hard by herself. She was up before dawn to make the breakfast then spent ALL day cooking, cleaning & preparing rooms. The breakfast consisted of yoghurt, fresh orange juice, tea, breads & jams, fresh pancakes then got a little less with cooked food each day but was really nice. We didn't eat there in the evening so I can't comment on the meals.

I agree that many charges were hidden. We were given a welcome glass of mint tea on arrival but weren't told that it would be charged to the bill (am not being picky but we were on a budget and already charged extra for a bigger room even though we had booked for 3, not 2). We also weren't told, despite booking & paying a deposit by credit card, that final settlement of the bill had to be in cash, no credit cards accepted. No-one wants to walk around with that amount of cash and machines aren't close.

The roof terrace is OK but nothing special and it wasn't easy to get drinks etc during the day. The owner wasn't particularly helpful and even less so after the fiasco with the rooms. We also asked about booking trips but these were much cheaper organised elsewhere.

Marrakech is a fantastic place and don't miss going to Les Bains Spa for a truly pampering relaxing day, it was fantastic. However, if you want to escape from the hustle & bustle back at your Riad, this is not the place to do it. I wouldn't go back there if you paid me.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Didieric, Propriétaire at Riad Houdou, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
At first, I would say that I'm very sorry of this bad experience in the riad. What you have lived is unacceptable and I can understand your anger.
I'm the new owner and now all has changed here (the reviews proove it) and if you come back in Marrakech, do'nt hesitate to come back, we offer you a night to change your mind! best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

have just got back from staying at the Houdou with 6 friends, the place was amazing, the manager could not do enough for us and took us to some great places, lovely and clean accomadation,cannot fault it, one of the best weekends ever.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed here in July 2009 on the final night of our trip to Morocco before we returned to the UK. The riad was not too difficult to find and nearly accessible by taxi (a rarity). It had a pleasant courtyard with lemon and orange trees, but a strange smell of effluence that hung around and made you wonder whether:

a - you'd stepped in poo in the medina
b - the drains were blocked up
c - the riad was next to the main sewage outpipe for the medina

The smell wasn't pleasant and it didn't go away. The redeeming quality of the riad was the presence of air conditioning in the rooms (a welcome relief from the scorching heat). The owner told us that she had only recently bought the riad and had moved from France a couple of months before. Now, not wishing to sound too critical here, but you could really tell she was new to the whole 'hospitality' industry.

On the evening we returned from a meal in the Djemaa and she was sitting up with one of the staff. We asked to put the TV on to 'zone out' for a few minutes, to which she replied 'it doesn't work'. We then asked whether we could watch a DVD (as advertised on the website). She said that wasn't possible as she didn't want us to use it and suggested we played a game with tarot cards instead. Not being into the occult, we passed on the opportunity.

When we requested a few hot drinks that evening, we might as well have requested she attach wings to the riad and fly us to the moon. To say she was reluctant to make them was an understatement.

We left the following day feeling that the Riad had been far more successful under previous ownership (as the other reviews seemed to suggest) and wondered whether she would ever get the hang of hospitality. Unfortunately she seemed all at sea and hadn't yet made the mental jump from viewing us as people in 'her' riad, to paying guests that wanted to feel like they weren't disturbing her 'me time'.

Not great. Don't bother going.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello
I'm the new owner of the riad and I felt very sorry for your bad experience in the riad.
I think that the smell you speak about is due to the old pipe in the derb. Since one year they have fortunately changed it for new one! If you come back in Marrakech, don't hesitate to come back in the riad and you will noticed the changes with the previous staff. And of course, I will make a good price because of your past inconvenient. Best regards
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

The riad is located in a central, yet not too touristy part of the medina. The walking distance to the main square is approx. 20 min. Our room was not nearly as nice as it is presented on the website, was not entirely clean and generally had a dated feeling (towels were very old and dirty, toilet seat half broken). The breakfast was nothing special (toast, eggs, jam), but the real reason for my negative review is the level of service. We never felt like we were treated like guets as the only motive of the staff was to extract as much money as possible from us. Whenever we asked for advice or assistance (i.e. taxi, restaurant recommendations), we were given ridiculous quotes and we never felt like the staff tried to help us out with local advice (instead they aimed to maximize their proceeds). Given the rich rate we paid for our room, I expect and entirely different level of service.... There are hundreds of Riads in Marrakech and I recommend to anybody planning a trip to seek accomodation elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello
i'm the new owner of riad Houdou and I want to apologize for the bad experience you had 3 years before. As you can read in the new review all has changed here and our guests are very happy. So if you come back in Marrakech, don't hesitate to inform me and I will do a commercial gesture on the price of the room. You will change your mind and keep another feeling of your stay here. Best regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

We had the noujoum suite for two nights then went exploring to the sahara and returned here for a few more nights at the end of the journey.
It was perfect - a gorgeous oasis away from the main centre so when you walked around outside you felt you were experencing the real Marrakech. I cannot find one negative thing to say about the environment , staff and service!!!
I was ill when we came back form our travels and the staff were concerned that I did not come down for breakfast and offered to get a doctor, and when declined offered to send anything I may request up to the room. Later when my family were out I answered a knock at the door and one of the kitchen staff had brought me a specially made soup to "cure" my upset tummy.
I was extremely touched by their empathy and hospitality.
Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Epsom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We really enjoyed our two night stay. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. The reception was friendly and relaxed. There was also good practical help in getting around the Medina and in dealing with the usual nuisances.
The main lapse was that the arranged collection at the airport did not materialise. This was compounded by the fact that the telephone number quoted in the email exchange to arrange booking was out of date. There was also no hot water on our second night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

I booked this riad without any reviews to base decision on. From the moment I contacted the host via e mail until the moment my friend and I left Lachen (?spelling) could not have done more for us. We had a tasty hot meal cooked for us on arrival, without pre booking. Breakfasts were great, Lachen booked a wonderful local restaurant (Le Fondouk). He told us how to get to places and told us to ring him if we were lost. I cannot praise the service too highly. My appalling sense of direction would have benefitted from a more obvious location so it seems unfair to mark it down for that. Lachen even wrapped a plate that I had bought to ensure it made it home. I would highly recommend this riad.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Houdou? Share your experiences!