“Cool and tranquil” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 1,041 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Cool and tranquil”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

We had the noujoum suite for two nights then went exploring to the sahara and returned here for a few more nights at the end of the journey.
It was perfect - a gorgeous oasis away from the main centre so when you walked around outside you felt you were experencing the real Marrakech. I cannot find one negative thing to say about the environment , staff and service!!!
I was ill when we came back form our travels and the staff were concerned that I did not come down for breakfast and offered to get a doctor, and when declined offered to send anything I may request up to the room. Later when my family were out I answered a knock at the door and one of the kitchen staff had brought me a specially made soup to "cure" my upset tummy.
I was extremely touched by their empathy and hospitality.
Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family

365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Epsom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We really enjoyed our two night stay. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. The reception was friendly and relaxed. There was also good practical help in getting around the Medina and in dealing with the usual nuisances.
The main lapse was that the arranged collection at the airport did not materialise. This was compounded by the fact that the telephone number quoted in the email exchange to arrange booking was out of date. There was also no hot water on our second night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

I booked this riad without any reviews to base decision on. From the moment I contacted the host via e mail until the moment my friend and I left Lachen (?spelling) could not have done more for us. We had a tasty hot meal cooked for us on arrival, without pre booking. Breakfasts were great, Lachen booked a wonderful local restaurant (Le Fondouk). He told us how to get to places and told us to ring him if we were lost. I cannot praise the service too highly. My appalling sense of direction would have benefitted from a more obvious location so it seems unfair to mark it down for that. Lachen even wrapped a plate that I had bought to ensure it made it home. I would highly recommend this riad.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
el015e
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights in March, and had a wonderful stay. The Riad is an absolute haven compared to the crazyness of Marrakesh! We were 'helped' by two guides to find the Riad - we would have NEVER have found it otherwise! You should definately call the Riad when you get dropped off as it would be impossible to navigate the narrow streets. After the initial shock of Marrakesh we were soon well aquainted with the souks, Medina and the Jamaa El Fna, and everything was easy to navigate! The breakfasts at the Riad were delicious, and the service and welcome we recieved was fantastic. We had a lovely stay and our host booked a really good spa for us for a Haman - really reccomended! Also, Founduk restaurant is quite expensive but well worth the service, food and surroundings! Having said that the grilled meats and sausages that we had in the square was just as delicious at a fraction of the cost!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Lovely comfortable Riad, Quiet area, Lahcen couldn't have been more helpful, Lovely breakfast and a short walk through the maze of streets to Jemma El Fna.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Mechelen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Riad Houdou is an oasis of calm and warm hospitality amongst the chaotic sensory overload that is Marrakech. We stayed for four nights over the 2008-2009 new year and our butler, Simon, was the host from heaven. The welcome tea and cake on our arrival in the warm living louge was already indication we were to be spoiled for the rest of our stay. No request was too much of a trouble, and the attention to detail in terms of service and decoration were extraordinary. Whether it was a last minute request for dinner on our arrival, or having breakfast at 5:45am (we had an excursion to the High Atlas departing at 7am), our host accomplished all of them with a smile and efficiency. Most rooms had their own private patio or terrace, and everything was decorated beautifully in the fusion style of French and berber. The photos you see on their website www.riadhoudou.com is exactly what you get.

A tip to would-be holidayers is to call the riad on arrival in airport to arrange a pickup. There is no way, I repeat, NO WAY, you can find the riad on your own even if you have visited Marrakesh before. Phone cards are cheap and available from tabacco shops in the airport. Our pickup arrived in 15 minutes, and the transport took us to as far as large vehicles could go, and our butler Simon met us there and led us through the chaotic narrow streets to the riad which was unmarked and was at the end of a very dark alley.

We enjoyed our stay very much, and we tipped Simon well. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Rooms are perhaps not as spacious as I would like
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

There seems to be hundreds of Riads in Marrakech so if you haven't been before it can be a nightmare trying to decide which one to choose. But first you need to decide it's definitely a Riad that you want. If you want a real moroccan experience, where you are in amidst the real hustle and bustle of Marrakech, go for a Riad. If you want a standard tourist holiday, go for a hotel. Most of the hotels are in the new part of the City, but most of the Riads are in the medina, which is the old City, close to the famous Djemma el Fna. To see the real Marrakech I would recommend a Riad.

First the practical things about the Riad - clean, safe, constant hot water and everything you need, about 5-10mins quite straight forward walk to the square which is where you will probably spend a lot of time. At first, if you haven't been to Marrakech before, it seems like the Riad is in a dodgy area, however you soon realise that's just how the old city is, and it's much more fun with much more character than the new City.

It's a really cozy, pretty house and a haven after you have spent a day out in the medina, it's like a mini palace hidden behind walls. The roof terrace is nice and good for sunbathing (it was sunny and around 25C when we were there). Stayed in the Atlas room which has it's own small terrace which is good for breakfast and sitting out for a drink at night. Breakfast was lovely and filling.

The management and staff at the Riad were so friendly, and helpful. Big thank you to Simo who did everything for us - nothing was too much trouble. He even walked with us to the square to show us where it was and also came to the souks with us one day to help us negotiate the best prices. They can organise anything you need at the Riad and will advise of the best places to go and what to do. The transfers we booked with the Riad were also straight forward.

This is the only Riad I have been to so I can't compare however I really liked it and would definitly go and stay there again. You can probably turn up to Marrakech without accommodation and find something once you are there for a cheaper price. But if you want to be sure of what you are getting, especially if you have never been before, I would recommend booking something in advance and this Riad is a good choice.

• Liked — Lovely staff, clean, pretty, convenient location
  • Disliked — nothing - but in the square in Marrakech you get hassled for money all the time
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Riad Houdou? Share your experiences!