“Marrakech Magic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #418 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Marrakech Magic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This Riad is an oasis within a very short distance of the hustle and bustle of the souks and the splender of the Medina. It defies belief that you can enter into a completely different world that this Riad offers. It is a world of calm, sophistication and mystic; a true oasis that provides relaxation and a chance to catch your breath and re-live the excitment of the day or night. The Riad has fantastic accommodation - very tastefully, and authentically, decorated and set out in a way that provides any level of privacy that you desire. The garden setting is magical, the roof terrace is welcoming, the gentle background haunting music sets the scene and helps you to live the dream. Breakfast in the garden is a real pleasure and a superb start to the day. This place is a real gem and so too is the host, Patricia, who brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to ensure that your stay, both in and out of the Riad is optimised. Get to know her; she really adds value and is as good a host as your will find anywhere. I never return to the same place........for Riad Mesc el Lil I will make an exception........I definitely plan to return. "Excellent" does not do this place justice.

Room Tip: Three rooms available; it doesn't matter which one is allocated.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is the place to stay and experience the real Marrakesh - you won't be disappointed. Patricia arranged for a taxi to meet our bus from Agadir and a porter to take our bags through the winding alleyways to her Riad where she gave us a warm welcome. What a great place - it exceeded our expectations. Lovely big rooms, beautifully furnished, big windows and doors that open on to the central garden area where breakfast was served each morning. It was lovely to have such a nice place to retreat to in the afternoons when it got too hot. A highlight was the cooking class that we had there - a local lady showed us some dishes she cooks at home and then we had what we cooked for our dinner in the garden. Staying with someone like Patrica who has such good local knowledge is a real bonus - she even went out and bought us spices on the last day while we were on a trip to the base of the Atlas mountains - which she also organised. I hope to get back and stay there again some time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tema, Ghana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

After braving through an unfamiliar maze of alleys and finally coming to a stop in front of a massive carved wooden door, it was a pleasant surprise to find the oasis that lay beyond it. The rooms were exquisite and all the original architecture made us feel like we'd been privileged enough to rent out a part of Moroccan history. It was as serene in the mornings as it was beautiful at night. The central garden, the absolute privacy and the precious house cat(whom I sorely miss) were some of the many touches that made the Riad feel like home even after only a two week stay. Even the alleys( absolutely safe and easier to navigate everyday) began to feel like an extended corridor. It was an added bonus to have our incredibly fun hostess double as the "souk whisperer" in leading us to the many nooks and crannies of the nearby souk, getting us fair prices for our various purchases and offering us the insider scoop on how to maximize the quality of our experience. The wonderful food, the delightful staff and our hostess' timeless music collection, made the whole experience that much more sublime. I recommend the Riad Mesc el lil to anyone looking for a classic Moroccan experience minus the synthetic feel of a typical hotel. Given the choice, I'd be back there in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We visited this Riad and had a look around whilst in Marrkech. Walking through the souk, it is hard to imagine that there was such a beautiful and spacious property. Tastefully decorated with comfortable furniture, it was a wonderful sanctuary!
The rooms were spacious (double the size of other riads we had seen), the chairs comfortable and extremely clean.
This would be equally perfect for a 'chill out' break or a romantic one.

Room Tip: This is certainly worth considering if you are planning a trip and want to stay within the medina
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Bauline East, Newfoundland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

If your heart yearns for traditional comfort alongside aesthetic architectural and design elegance...If you love long, lazy days taking in the terrace sun before wandering through exuberant ancient markets...If your day must begin with a full bodied cup of coffee served up by charming staff with fresh fruit and home baked Moroccan delights...If your idea of the perfect vacation includes a well-stocked DVD and book library open to guests...If your idea of the perfect guest-house hostess is cosmopolitan, knowledgeable, memorable, and kind...If you respond to romance at every corner...If you need to hunker down to write or paint amidst the sounds of doves cooing and the Imam calling the faithful to prayer...If you love having your linens changed daily and your room freshened with flowers even when it doesn't really need it...If you love mingling with the locals to learn a new language and culture...If your idea of the perfect Moroccan adventure is to have your hostess plan get-aways to the mountains or desert with local guides who are trust-worthy and companionable...If cool nights cause you to yearn for a blazing fire with classical music and a full-bodied Red.... then this Riad is for you! We are world travelers, and have never experienced a home away from home (for one entire month) of such exquisite charm, comfort, and beauty.

Room Tip: Speak with Patricia beforehand to communicate clearly your needs. She will arrange a porter to meet...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
NZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We were looking forward to this place after reading positive reviews. To be fair, the room interiors were decorated very nicely, the breakfasts were amazing and our guest house host was helpful by arranging airport transfers and transportation, guiding around the medina and inviting us along to a local event. However, overall we did find this place to have some challening moments and I personally would not recommend this place. The rooms had a traditional open concept, so there was no shower door or curtain. It would be fine for a couple, but a little uncomfortable for friends or family members travelling together. The guest house owner offered to arrange private transport for a day tip to Essaouira, but we instead decided to use a cheaper alternative and she seemed very angry with us not going with her option which would have cost nearly twice the price. The guest house owner was very critical of people: insulting staff members when they were not around, had an issue with overweight people at the market and made rude comments about a restaurant staff who couldn't write. When having a Moroccan cooking lesson, it was quoted it would be 30 euros each on a couple of occassions (which is relatively quite a lot for a developing country), but then it was changed on the day of the lesson to an extra 40 euros - this should have been communicated from the start when originally discussed. Towards the end of the stay at Morocco, I enjoyed going on day trips just to get out of the accommodation experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Riad Mesc El Lil was wonderful. The house was perfect. A restored, authentic Riad with great architectural details and charm. The windy path to get to the house also added to the charm, and after once or twice, I figured out my way. The rooms were lovely and comfortable and I loved waking up to the beautiful ironwork and colored glass windows with light pouring in. The meals were fantastic. I arranged for dinner at the Riad when I arrived and it was delightful. They made me a roast chicken, the best eggplant/aubergine dish I’d ever had, and other Morroccan treats (carrots with ginger); quite a feast and it was divine. Breakfast was traditional Moroccan breads and jams/honey.
Patricia was an amazing hostess. In arranging my trip, I was nervous about being a female traveling there solo. She was extremely responsive, encouraging and supportive of my visit; so much so that I felt like I was going to visit a friend instead of a hotel, and I had never met her. She couldn’t have been more gracious during my 3 night stay. She went way out of her way to arrange for activities, walk me around and show me some highlights of the city. She took care of all the potentially concerning details, like having her trusted driver Ahmed meet me at the airport and later to take me to Valley de L’ourika for an afternoon excursion. She was generous with her time and let me use her computer to email family daily. By the time I left, I felt like we were old friends and I knew it was Patricia I would miss most about my amazing Moroccan adventure.
I promise you, that if you stay at Riad Mesc El Lil, you will feel like you’re visiting an old friend, that you’re not a tourist, and you’ll get to see a more “authentic” Marrakech.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Riad Mesc el Lil? Share your experiences!