“Nice looking place but a bad experience.” 2 of 5 stars

Riad Mesc el Lil
88 Derb Snane | Mouassine, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #441 of 1,057 Marrakech B&B and Inns
NZ
“Nice looking place but a bad experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We were looking forward to this place after reading positive reviews. To be fair, the room interiors were decorated very nicely, the breakfasts were amazing and our guest house host was helpful by arranging airport transfers and transportation, guiding around the medina and inviting us along to a local event. However, overall we did find this place to have some challening moments and I personally would not recommend this place. The rooms had a traditional open concept, so there was no shower door or curtain. It would be fine for a couple, but a little uncomfortable for friends or family members travelling together. The guest house owner offered to arrange private transport for a day tip to Essaouira, but we instead decided to use a cheaper alternative and she seemed very angry with us not going with her option which would have cost nearly twice the price. The guest house owner was very critical of people: insulting staff members when they were not around, had an issue with overweight people at the market and made rude comments about a restaurant staff who couldn't write. When having a Moroccan cooking lesson, it was quoted it would be 30 euros each on a couple of occassions (which is relatively quite a lot for a developing country), but then it was changed on the day of the lesson to an extra 40 euros - this should have been communicated from the start when originally discussed. Towards the end of the stay at Morocco, I enjoyed going on day trips just to get out of the accommodation experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Riad Mesc El Lil was wonderful. The house was perfect. A restored, authentic Riad with great architectural details and charm. The windy path to get to the house also added to the charm, and after once or twice, I figured out my way. The rooms were lovely and comfortable and I loved waking up to the beautiful ironwork and colored glass windows with light pouring in. The meals were fantastic. I arranged for dinner at the Riad when I arrived and it was delightful. They made me a roast chicken, the best eggplant/aubergine dish I’d ever had, and other Morroccan treats (carrots with ginger); quite a feast and it was divine. Breakfast was traditional Moroccan breads and jams/honey.
Patricia was an amazing hostess. In arranging my trip, I was nervous about being a female traveling there solo. She was extremely responsive, encouraging and supportive of my visit; so much so that I felt like I was going to visit a friend instead of a hotel, and I had never met her. She couldn’t have been more gracious during my 3 night stay. She went way out of her way to arrange for activities, walk me around and show me some highlights of the city. She took care of all the potentially concerning details, like having her trusted driver Ahmed meet me at the airport and later to take me to Valley de L’ourika for an afternoon excursion. She was generous with her time and let me use her computer to email family daily. By the time I left, I felt like we were old friends and I knew it was Patricia I would miss most about my amazing Moroccan adventure.
I promise you, that if you stay at Riad Mesc El Lil, you will feel like you’re visiting an old friend, that you’re not a tourist, and you’ll get to see a more “authentic” Marrakech.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Lutsen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I just returned from 2 weeks at the Riad Mesc il Lil and I would go back any day! Yes, I would go back even after the explosion in the Argana. The Riad is within easy walking of the main markets, but seems a thousand miles from the noise and hubbub.
It was like heaven to return after a hot day in the souks and sit under the orange trees with a G&T. Patricia is the perfect host and her two helpers, Fatima and Naima were wonderful. They keep the place clean and prepare the best food south of Paris. The Riad is set way back in one of the little crooked alleys that the Medina is famous for, but Patricia met us and guided us in, pointing out the landmarks so we would not get lost. Best of all, it is Real, rebuilt by Patricia with original wood, tiles and glass, the reconstruction like a sultan's palace in miniature.

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms, all lovely.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
oakham UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

From the beginning we were given such a warm welcome and Patricia was so helpful in pointing us in the right direction (literally with all the tiny streets to negotiate!). The riad was magical with orange trees in full flourish in the shady courtyard, enchanting rooms and a wonderful sun terrace on the roof. Tucked away,but close to everything we wanted to see and do in the heart of the Medina. Breakfast was plentiful, rooms were spotless. Patricia made bookings for taxis, a hamman and we ate well in several local restaurants she recommended and her gin and tonics were legendary! We shall return and would thoroughly recommend. Nothing was too much trouble. Thanks Patricia!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We've been going to Marrakesh for business and pleasure for many years and have stayed at some of the most exclusive hotels and riads. You never got away from the idea that you were a tourist. And, there are now quite a number of luxurious riads, that while very nice continue that relationship. At this beautiful and cozy riad, you feel that you are an integral part of the Marrakesh scene. First, there are only 3 rooms, each opening onto the beautiful tree- filled, fountain-gurgling, patio garden. The lovingly decorated rooms are all traditional riad sized and quite comfortable. The included delicious breakfasts, prepared and served by the two smiling girls, came replete with the likes of fresh fruit compote, fresh squeezed orange juice, the lightest crepe-like beghrir with honey or preserves and good, strong coffee. (Why can't I get breakfasts like that at home?) But, the icing on the cake of this delightful place is the wonderfully, literate, knowledgable, quirky owner, Patricia Lebaud, who lives on the premises and turned us on to such insider things as gallery openings, Andalusian music concerts, and farm visits, that were usually only known to Marakshi's. To begin, we were met at the airport by a taxi sent by Patricia. He dropped us at one of the gates to the medina, where we were met by a gentleman with a cart who loaded our bags and led us down the winding derbs (lanes) to the riad. Even after coming to Marrakesh for so many years we were fascinated by the colors and textures of the ancient walls and doors which we had never really taken much notice of before and proceeded to take hundreds of photos of them. If you're planning to stay there ask Patricia for a copy of the delightful email chronicle that I first came across which introduced us to this fantastic experience. We will return. Hope to see you there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

As my title suggests this is truly one riad that we shall never forget even after many trips to Marrakech on previous occasions. From the moment we entered the riad we were greeted by the charming owner and staff and we felt instantly as though we were returning friends rather than tourists.

Every wish was catered for throughout our stay, we didn't want for anything. The rooms are simply furnished but very comfortable and decorated in an Art Deco style. Clean towels were provided everday and fresh flowers in the room on arrrival was a lovely touch.

The riad itself is beautifully relaxed and tranquil set in the grounds of a garden of Moroccan tiles, fountain, white bourgainvillea flowers and hibiscus. Lots of green foliage offers total privacy whilst sitting outside in the sunshine.

Evening meals can be provided if ordered in advance. They are a real treat and were eagerly devoured by my husband and I after a busy day in the Souk. A Moroccan breakfast was included during our stay and put quite simply, was fresh and delicious.

All in all we both would highly recommend this riad to everyone. The staff are a real credit to the owner and we can't wait to return. Many thanks to all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights in Jan 2010. The location of the riad is handy to all the major attractions of Marrakech. It is a real little gem hidden behind the maze of alley in the middle of the charming medina. The whole place is beautifully presented with the owner’s personal touches. Patricia, the owner is truly a lovely host with massive knowledge about the surroundings, Marrakech and Morocco as well. Her staffs are professional and the meal they prepared for us is really delicious. We would definitely recommend this riad to anybody we know.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Mesc el Lil? Share your experiences!