“Great time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #99 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

So when walking to this Riyad, you will ask yourself..."where the heck are we going...omg". you open this tiny door, and go into an incredibly beautiful Riyad - amazing rooms, courtyard with pool, roof etc. Great place - and the staff are so helpful and friendly. Definitely stay here!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Perugia, Italien
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

What we were looking for we finally found, not easy with the loads of offers at Marrakesch: a Riad which preserved its 500 year old original charme thanks to the affectionate and careful restoration of its owners. Who's looking for the hip and stylish Marrakesch is definitely wrong here, but who loves the feeling having stepped back in time and diving in an almost declined world will feel at home. Riad Edward is situated outside of the main souk shopping frenzy, this makes you feel part of the normal life of the Medina. Not far away is the lively square Bab Tarzout with its daily market and many small shops, a 15 minutes walk through the souks or a 5 minutes taxi drive takes you to Jemma al Fna.
Our light and tastefully furnished suite with high cedar ceilings and beautiful old tiles was situates on the 1st floor and opened to the tropically planted patio with a magnificent pool. In the evening we relaxed on the the bedrooms fireside with a glass of red wine. The roof terrace with panoramic views of the Medina is a dream, at the beginning of April it was yet to cold for us using it often. Beatriz and her friendly and attentive staff made us feel at home and helped us in many ways. Riad Edwards is an oasis of peace and calm, early in the morning birds and the muezzin from nearby Sidi Sliman are greeting the new day. We will be back, inshallah!
Don't miss I Limoni: excellent italian restaurant nearby, chill atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel looks old. Almost impossible to find it yourself if you don't know the road. The staff was very friendly. The hotel itself and the rooms were clean. There is a small pool in the yard. Breakfast is available in the morning. There is a nice view over the city from the terrace upstairs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a tricky one to write - as the first part of our Morocco trip was staying in the divine Kasbah Bab Ourika (the sister hotel) and this place is utterly different in every way!
What it offers is very good value for money and one excellent member of staff - a lady called Sena - who works extremely hard to meet guests needs from setting up and cooking breakfast, to all the clearing away and washing up, to drinks service on the roof if you want it and much more besides!!!! And she smiles cheerfully throughout! She made us a delicious home cooked meal one evening too. The service rating below represents her hard work (other areas of service a bit lacking).
The location outside of the madness of the central Medina is lovely (once you've got used to finding it!) and sun downers on the roof were such a lovely way to start each evening.
However what this place lacks is a bit of TLC in lots of ways and the guy in charge while we were there is a young guy probably doing his best . . . but we had 3 room changes in 3 days (lots of issues with hot water or lack of and leaks and all sorts and being locked out of main part of Riyad one morning from room on side??!! - bring you sense of humour with you!) and didn't get an overall sense that the place is well managed and cared for and loved (worryingly skinny scrawny house cat, Couscous).
It does have a lovely sense of peace and tranquillity in the central courtyard and the rooms are quirky and interesting . . . and despite some of the hiccups and issues we would probably go back there again. I agree with some of the other reviews that it's not excellent - but it's got enough charm and is relatively cheap and I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for here!

Room Tip: I liked the light bright rooms around the central courtyard - but my partner preferred the suite we...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After reading the reviews I was expecting great things from Riyad Edward and I was'nt disapointed. Although its not right in the center of the medina (about a 5/10 min walk) I would say this is a good thing, means that you can easily get to all the places you want to go but are not constantly hasseled by "guides". I would recomend this to anyone going to Marrackech and will definatly be going back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I were recommended Riad Edward by a friend who stays there when ever she travels to Marrakesh. We couldn't have been more pleased with this riad!

PROS:
*The staff are extremely helpful and exceptionally kind. We adored Beatrice who swept us out to relax in the beautiful inner garden area on arrival, and sat with us to carefully explain the city layout and landmarks. During our stay we noticed the easy smiles and friendly chatter that went on between the staff, giving us the impression that everyone liked working here. Also, Beatrice helped us plan large parts of our trip outside of the city. She is very knowledgeable about Morocco and her English is perfect. Unfortunately, I became slightly ill during my 4 days in Morocco (not uncommon) and the staff took wonderful care of me by preparing a simple a veg lunch and mint tea while I recovered in my room. They all inquired after my health and were on hand if we needed anything. I have so many warm memories of the staff and the many kind things they did for us. It's the people that make a place special.

*The rooms were lovely. My boyfriend and I stayed in 3 rooms during our 2 stays while traveling through Morocco. The first night we had a very lovely superior room with sunny yellow walls. For the next 3 nights we were moved to a very spacious and well decorated deluxe suite. After traveling we returned to the riad for one more night and stayed in our favorite deluxe suite which is photographed on the site with a canopy bed. We used the bedroom fireplace the last night because of the cold and rain and I can confirm that reading in bed with a crackling fire is sublime. Remember to visit the roof top terrace! The sunsets from there are beautiful. I don't understand the people who complained about the decor? All the rooms were colorful and beautiful and gave the impression that we were staying in the home of a person connected to Marrakesh. I didn't feel separated from the city like the night we visited one of the ultra posh riads. That night my boyfriend and I felt like detached white gloved colonists who expected to be waited on like aristocrats. I found the ultra polished places boring and out of touch and...just trying to hard? Riad Edward felt like coming home to a lovely quiet oasis and in fact, I was reminded by the staff that I should think of it as my home.

*The location is outside of the main souk shopping frenzy. We loved the spot because it allowed us a few minutes walk out of the melee of souk shopping to wind our way through the streets and have a nice stroll home. When you come down the alley way in the morning it's not souk shop keepers greeting you, but a small street with a few local stands and people going about their morning business. If you want to be in the thick of the souks, Riad Edward might feel like a bit of a walk as it takes just under 10 minutes of winding through streets to reach the heart of the shopping area.

*The food in the Riad is very nice and they will serve a bottle of wine with your dinner. We ate breakfast there every morning and we loved the jam and crepes. We also ate dinner in the Raid twice and liked it very much. The spicy meatball tangine on the last night was our favorite. But be ready to eat because they serve many courses. We normally ate in the beautiful inner garden area but on the final night they served us in the dinning room and stoked a lovely fire so we would be comfortable in the cooling temperature.

I am so happy we chose to take our friend's advice and stay in Riad Edward. We truly had a wonderful time. If I return to Marrakesh this is my first choice of places to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Imagine yourself transported back to a Marrakech house party in the 1930s and you will have some sense of what a stay at Riyad Edward is like. Located a little out of the way in the Medina (and therefore in an area blissfully free of potential ‘guides’, the moment you walk out of the door), but still only a short walk to the souks and Place dJemaa el-Fna, the Riyad retains its original features, onto which the present owner has grafted a veneer of (ever so slightly louche) glamour, adding antiques and local objets d’art.

After being warmly welcomed by Beatriz, and a ubiquitous glass of sweet mint tea, you might perhaps while away the afternoon on the roof-top terrace with panoramic views of the Medina, taking the occasional refreshing dip in the courtyard pool (admittedly fairly chilly in the autumn!), before choosing to eat dinner (Bushra’s tagines are quite the best in Marrakech) in candle-lit courtyard, or in the majestic dining room with a roaring fire (for those chillier evenings). The following morning have breakfast when you’re ready, on any one of the myriad small sun-bathed terraces around the riyad, before heading off to explore.

Pleasantly rough around the edges, and ever so authentic, Riyad Edward is a refreshing antidote to an over-polished 5-star international hotel – but with service that is never less than genuine and personal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard, and try and stretch to one of the (junior) suites: the studio s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riyad Edward? Share your experiences!