“Shabby Chic!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Shabby Chic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a tricky one to write - as the first part of our Morocco trip was staying in the divine Kasbah Bab Ourika (the sister hotel) and this place is utterly different in every way!
What it offers is very good value for money and one excellent member of staff - a lady called Sena - who works extremely hard to meet guests needs from setting up and cooking breakfast, to all the clearing away and washing up, to drinks service on the roof if you want it and much more besides!!!! And she smiles cheerfully throughout! She made us a delicious home cooked meal one evening too. The service rating below represents her hard work (other areas of service a bit lacking).
The location outside of the madness of the central Medina is lovely (once you've got used to finding it!) and sun downers on the roof were such a lovely way to start each evening.
However what this place lacks is a bit of TLC in lots of ways and the guy in charge while we were there is a young guy probably doing his best . . . but we had 3 room changes in 3 days (lots of issues with hot water or lack of and leaks and all sorts and being locked out of main part of Riyad one morning from room on side??!! - bring you sense of humour with you!) and didn't get an overall sense that the place is well managed and cared for and loved (worryingly skinny scrawny house cat, Couscous).
It does have a lovely sense of peace and tranquillity in the central courtyard and the rooms are quirky and interesting . . . and despite some of the hiccups and issues we would probably go back there again. I agree with some of the other reviews that it's not excellent - but it's got enough charm and is relatively cheap and I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for here!

Room Tip: I liked the light bright rooms around the central courtyard - but my partner preferred the suite we...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After reading the reviews I was expecting great things from Riyad Edward and I was'nt disapointed. Although its not right in the center of the medina (about a 5/10 min walk) I would say this is a good thing, means that you can easily get to all the places you want to go but are not constantly hasseled by "guides". I would recomend this to anyone going to Marrackech and will definatly be going back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I were recommended Riad Edward by a friend who stays there when ever she travels to Marrakesh. We couldn't have been more pleased with this riad!

PROS:
*The staff are extremely helpful and exceptionally kind. We adored Beatrice who swept us out to relax in the beautiful inner garden area on arrival, and sat with us to carefully explain the city layout and landmarks. During our stay we noticed the easy smiles and friendly chatter that went on between the staff, giving us the impression that everyone liked working here. Also, Beatrice helped us plan large parts of our trip outside of the city. She is very knowledgeable about Morocco and her English is perfect. Unfortunately, I became slightly ill during my 4 days in Morocco (not uncommon) and the staff took wonderful care of me by preparing a simple a veg lunch and mint tea while I recovered in my room. They all inquired after my health and were on hand if we needed anything. I have so many warm memories of the staff and the many kind things they did for us. It's the people that make a place special.

*The rooms were lovely. My boyfriend and I stayed in 3 rooms during our 2 stays while traveling through Morocco. The first night we had a very lovely superior room with sunny yellow walls. For the next 3 nights we were moved to a very spacious and well decorated deluxe suite. After traveling we returned to the riad for one more night and stayed in our favorite deluxe suite which is photographed on the site with a canopy bed. We used the bedroom fireplace the last night because of the cold and rain and I can confirm that reading in bed with a crackling fire is sublime. Remember to visit the roof top terrace! The sunsets from there are beautiful. I don't understand the people who complained about the decor? All the rooms were colorful and beautiful and gave the impression that we were staying in the home of a person connected to Marrakesh. I didn't feel separated from the city like the night we visited one of the ultra posh riads. That night my boyfriend and I felt like detached white gloved colonists who expected to be waited on like aristocrats. I found the ultra polished places boring and out of touch and...just trying to hard? Riad Edward felt like coming home to a lovely quiet oasis and in fact, I was reminded by the staff that I should think of it as my home.

*The location is outside of the main souk shopping frenzy. We loved the spot because it allowed us a few minutes walk out of the melee of souk shopping to wind our way through the streets and have a nice stroll home. When you come down the alley way in the morning it's not souk shop keepers greeting you, but a small street with a few local stands and people going about their morning business. If you want to be in the thick of the souks, Riad Edward might feel like a bit of a walk as it takes just under 10 minutes of winding through streets to reach the heart of the shopping area.

*The food in the Riad is very nice and they will serve a bottle of wine with your dinner. We ate breakfast there every morning and we loved the jam and crepes. We also ate dinner in the Raid twice and liked it very much. The spicy meatball tangine on the last night was our favorite. But be ready to eat because they serve many courses. We normally ate in the beautiful inner garden area but on the final night they served us in the dinning room and stoked a lovely fire so we would be comfortable in the cooling temperature.

I am so happy we chose to take our friend's advice and stay in Riad Edward. We truly had a wonderful time. If I return to Marrakesh this is my first choice of places to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Imagine yourself transported back to a Marrakech house party in the 1930s and you will have some sense of what a stay at Riyad Edward is like. Located a little out of the way in the Medina (and therefore in an area blissfully free of potential ‘guides’, the moment you walk out of the door), but still only a short walk to the souks and Place dJemaa el-Fna, the Riyad retains its original features, onto which the present owner has grafted a veneer of (ever so slightly louche) glamour, adding antiques and local objets d’art.

After being warmly welcomed by Beatriz, and a ubiquitous glass of sweet mint tea, you might perhaps while away the afternoon on the roof-top terrace with panoramic views of the Medina, taking the occasional refreshing dip in the courtyard pool (admittedly fairly chilly in the autumn!), before choosing to eat dinner (Bushra’s tagines are quite the best in Marrakech) in candle-lit courtyard, or in the majestic dining room with a roaring fire (for those chillier evenings). The following morning have breakfast when you’re ready, on any one of the myriad small sun-bathed terraces around the riyad, before heading off to explore.

Pleasantly rough around the edges, and ever so authentic, Riyad Edward is a refreshing antidote to an over-polished 5-star international hotel – but with service that is never less than genuine and personal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard, and try and stretch to one of the (junior) suites: the studio s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights. Hidden away down narrow streets, the riad has quaint old fashioned charm, a nice pool big enough to swim and a comfortable rooftop sun terrace which isn't overlooked by neighbouring buildings. Outside is a rabbit warren of bustling street markets and little shops, food stalls and workshops serving the local community. There are no tourist restaurants nearby.The centre is a short (but always action packed !) taxi or bus ride away, or you can walk through the souk, (compass advised, go due south), ignoring offers to mislead you. We ate in twice, meals simple and good and they are happy to prepare whatever you want. Beatriz the manager will recommend and book restaurants and a car to take you in the evening. Wherever you stay in Marrakech sleep is punctuated by the call to prayer, a mosque is on virtually every street corner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a deal with sister hotel, Kasbah Bab Ourika and received one night free, which made it very economical. Originally an Englishman's house, this feels as if it hasn't moved on. Furnishings are simple but pleasant. The courtyard pool and shady sitting areas on the ground floor are relaxing and very welcome after a hot day in the market. The breakfasts are good; the lunch less so; we went to the riad next door for lunch and it was very good. We stayed in August when the weather was very hot and the lack of functioning aircon or fans made the nights a bit unbearable, but the staff bought floor fans when asked. The roof terrace was a little more airy and a good place to chill in the morning or evening. The bathrooms were basic and slightly smelly from the drains, but certainly nothing that should deter the average traveller. The staff were very attentive and tried hard to be helpful. All in all, it was a good introduction to Marrakech but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lydney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a lovely, quiet and relatively cool hideaway from the frenetic activity and heat of the Old Town of Marrakech. Full of character and with friendly and helpful staff, We found this an excellent place to recouperate from our three day trekking expedition to the High Atlas mountains. It has a decent sized plunge pool and our room was generously sized. The food is also to be recommended. It is a bit hard to find again after the first venture into the mazy streets of the Medina, but probably no more so than most riads in that area. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Riyad Edward? Share your experiences!