“The nicest staff I had ever met” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Moucharabieh

Save Saved
You added Riad Moucharabieh to your Saves list
Riad Moucharabieh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Derb l'Hotel | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #131 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Lanzarote, Spain
“The nicest staff I had ever met”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

We have just arrived from Marrakech. The place was really nice but nothing comparable to the lovely staff, especially Jemal and MAjid. Just them made our stay special, always trying to be helpful with an smile.

The Riad itself is very nice, 20minutes walking from the main square. The street you must walk down to the square is a littlle bit dirty, with people selling food in non a very higienic conditions ( from an European point of view - but this the way they it is done here and it is not fair that I complain ), but very moroccan, I figure.

I read the previous email and I agree with everything.

We went quite often to Restaurants and we found a very special place called Cafe de La Poste, in the new city ( ten minutes from the hotel ). Very good food and very good prices, much cheaper and much better than the touristic restaurants, do not hesitate and go there, and you will always think about me.

I do not know if I will visit Mrrakech again but if I do it I will be staying in this Riad or wherever Jemal and Majid are working.

• Liked — Jamel and Jamid, the staff
  • Disliked — the price
  • Tips/Secrets — leave European ideas at home
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2006

My husband and I (early 30's) stayed at Riad Moucharabieh for 1 week in May 2005. The riad inside is a real art noveau place and like an oasis of calm away from the hussle and heat of Marrakesh streets. Our room was fabulous, I believe all are styled individually and the Riad website has really good photos of the all the inside of the Riad. There is a small indoor pool in the ground floor of the Riad, there is no roof covering and its icy cold water its most welcome after walking around the city, or from sun-bathing on the roof terrace. The breakfasts are possibly the best start to the day ever, all freshly prepared by the 2 gentlemen who look after the Riad, who are possibly the nicest 2 men in Morocco. Little fluffy pancakes drizziled with honey and almonds, fresh fruit, mint tea are offered every morning, and the guys always appear like magic no matter what time of day or night you enter the Riad, to check if you need anything. This Riad is highly recommended. However, Marrakesh and the location of the Riad are somewhat more questionnable. Its within the Medina old city walls and straight out the front door and round the corner is right in the middle of a busy local street where the men stare and the smells from freshly slaughtered meat and whatever else, are quite overpowering, I walked around a lot with a hanky over my mouth, but this is a place thats been un-changed for centuries for the locals and they ain't about to Westernize it for anyone. Its not quite the magical arabian night tale I had imagined. There is a lot of cruelty to animals and you'll see this everywhere you walk. The Riad is very centrally located with regard to the souks, Jemma El Fna and all other sites which is a plus point. Its more than a 10 minute walk to the Novuelle Quarter but its also worth a visit for some better restaurants, local taxi's are really cheap and quick. Marrakesh was not for me, but if you like the real deal and don't mind the hassle in the souks then go for it. The Riad was a welcome retreat to come home to though after the madness of Marrakesh and thats why I'm recommending it. There are a lot of good day trips to do from Marrakesh, a 4x4 into the mountains is really worth it, and for nighttime the open air cooking stalls at the Jemma El Fna take some beating. Just get ready, Marrakesh is not for the faint hearted.

Been to Riad Moucharabieh? Share your experiences!