“Cosy Riad with attention to details” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Moucharabieh

Save Saved
You added Riad Moucharabieh to your Saves list
Riad Moucharabieh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Derb l'Hotel | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #136 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Barcelona, Spain
“Cosy Riad with attention to details”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed at the riad for a long weekend from Friday to Sunday.

Hotel/ Rooms: It`s a typical riad with a bautiful patio. They pay a lot of attention to details and all is decorated nicely. There are fresh roses around the patio, in the rooms and rose petals in the toilet and shower ever day. It´s very clean and cosy. The roof terrace is big and has comfy seating areas/ sunloungers and a nice view over the city up to the Atlas mountains. The room is spacious, nicely decorated and has a fire place. Majid, the lovely man who seems to be around the riad all the time will light the fire for you. Romantic place.

Food: You tell them the night before when you want to have breakfast. Latest is 9:30. Breakfast was great. Typical marrocian food is served - different type of ¨pancakes¨, a selection of tasty local marmelades and jellys, fruit, coffee, tee, fresh orange juice and if you still want more you can get scrambled eggs.

If you want to have lunch or dinner you have to tell in advance. We didnt know that. However, we were lucky on our first night and within 1 hour they prepared us a great dinner. I was told a few times that food in a riad is much better than in one of the many tourist restaurants....and I can say it´s true. Before you head into one of the many places for tourists you might be better off eating in the riad and enjoy freshly (and only for you) prepared food.

Staff: Very friendly. Especially Majid is super friendly and always there to serve you drinks, food or light the fire.....or to take a picture...or to have a nice small talk about the latest football results. He doesnt speak much English, but he will know exactly what you want!

Location: 15mins walk from Jmaa el Fna and close to the ¨Bab Doukkala¨ gate - which is a good reference point when you take a taxi back home. It is within the city walls. The riad is a quiet place and when you step on the street you are in the middle of the authentic marrocian life. I prefer this to one of the newly built modern hotels outside the city walls.

General comments:

- Taxi can be booked with the riad (write them an email and a driver will wait for you at the airport). 15EUR one way. This is the standard price, however, if you dont book you will find yourself overpaying or haggling for ages at the airport. Also, the taxi cannot go directly to the hotel. It´s a few minutes walk from the main road and I would have been lost to find the riad. The hotel taxi driver brings you to the door. So my advise: book in advance!

- You can change money in the hotel and also pay in EUR

- You can leave your luggage at the hotel.We checked out at 12:00 and our flight was at 23:00. We left our luggage there and took a taxi booked via the hotel back to the airport. Majid carried our suitcases to the taxi stand.

- The muezzin is around the corner and has a megaphone! The first prayer is at about 5 in the morning and it´s loud! I do have a deep sleep, but he woke me up! Thank god I fall asleep within seconds. If you don´t have a deep sleep I recommend you to use earplugs. Suppose this can happen in many places and in the end it did not bother me - it just showed me that I am on vacation in a country with a different culture. We bought earplugs in a local pharmacy - just in case you feel like you need some : )

Go there, I am sure you will enjoy it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I loved this place! I stayed 3 nights and was struck by its beauty, comfort and great service! Majid, the older man who has worked there forever, could not have been more accommodating, hospitable and helpful. Although his English is limited, he did much to ensure that my stay was pleasant and comfortable. I had dinner at the Riad each might which was well prepared and exemplary, delicious Moroccan food! Further, the ambience in the small room where I dined next to a roaring fire each night was quiet and peaceful, and enhanced by candle lit meals with rose petals on the linens (and in the room). After dinner each night, Majid made a fire in the fireplace in my room, very cozy and nice on chilly February nights in Marrakech. Rooms are lovely and simple, comfortable, nice. The place is characteristic of the magical charm of the Arab Riad, very quiet, very peaceful, beautiful architecture and just so pleasant all around. It is about a 20 min walk to the Djemal al Fna square from the Riad but it's an interesting walk if you take the labyrinthine streets and back ways to the square from the Riad. I really liked the place and would definitely stay there again. It is an absolutely charming place!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Council Bluffs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed two nights at this Riad located inside the Medina in Marrakech. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival. The room was amazingly romantic. There were red roses everywhere; on the bed, in the shower, and in vases in the bathroom. The room had a fireplace and the gentleman came to the room and set the fire each evening. It was such a treat to sit by the fire after a fun day of touring. We ate dinner and breakfast there. The food was wonderful and the service superb. This Riad offered wine or local beer with the dinner. The only draw back was the early morning wakeup call from the call to prayer. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We arrived late at night on the first night of our stay in Morocco. Walking through the bustling chaos of the Marrakech Medina and then down a small dark alleyway, my partner and I walked through the front door of Moucharabieh into a glittering internal courtyard full of roses, fountains, palm trees and lighted candles. We felt for that moment at least that we were back in the Morocco of a different era.

Out of all the accommodation that we had in Morocco Moucharabieh is the stand out for us in terms of the service and genuine care about the well being of their guests.

This was our first stay in a Moroccan riad so we did not know quite what to expect in terms of the quality of accommodation. Our room on the second floor was extremely spacious. In fact we had our own internal seating area with a small fireplace. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom although small by comparison to European standards was very cute and workable. This is the only time in my years of travelling that I have encountered rose petals placed in the toilet bowl everyday.

The one thing that was obvious after staying in other riads - the rooms can be rather dark. I have encountered this before in a number of Asian hotels. Can be a problem for reading but the upside is that the lighting is very romantic.

Being a frequent traveller in countries that have noisy nocturnal activities such as calls to prayer, continuous Buddhist chanting, music festivals etc I now take a pair of specially fitted earplugs which work a treat. So I cannot comment about the early morning call to prayer. It cannot be too loud as Brad Pitt and his family reportedly stay at another riad literally across the passageway from Moucharabieh and as other reviewers have pointed out you need to expect this given its convenient location in the medina and that you are a guest in a muslin country.

We had two dinners at the riad - the food was plentiful and tasty. I cannot comment on the cost of dinner as we were staying at this riad organised for us by a tour operator and the arrangements included half board (dinner and breakfast included in our price to the operator). Breakfast sitting on the roof of the riad was a great experience - looking at the blue Marrakech sky before the heat of the day enjoying beghrir with honey, local breads (including my favourite which was flavoured with rosemary), fresh orange juice, fruit and an omelette if you wanted to order one.

As we were out every day of the two days we were in Marrakech we did not get a chance to fully appreciate the facilities of Moucharabieh. There are actually two parts to the riad. One courtyard contains the more traditional Moroccan fountain which doubles as a jacuzzi with tiled seating areas and the second courtyard with a small swimming pool with the area furnished to reflect a 1920's art deco theme.

If the wifi is not working - just ask Nora - she can fix this with her portable wifi device.

So loved our first experience of staying at a riad and we are very happy that this was at Moucharabieh

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed at Riad Moucharabieh for 2 nights. The Riad had a lovely courtyard and the common areas were nicely maintained.

Service: Nora and her staff were very nice and helpful.

Room: Rooms were nice and overlooked the courtyard. The room was quite dim, could have used some additional lighting. (Warning: There is a mosque close to the hotel, I was awaken on both nights by the call to prayer)

Food: Breakfast and dinner were good. Breakfast was served to us on the rooftop terrace in the morning. Dinner was served in a nicely decorated "dining room".

Riad Moucharabieh is a nice escape from the bustling streets of Marrakech.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Apparently "Moucharabieh" refers to the lattice work on Marrakech windows which allows one "to see but not been seen". The riad lives up to its name, it is a quiet oasis in the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. We are a family of 5 with 3 young children and all thoroughly enjoyed our 2 nights there. The plunge pool was refreshing after a hard day's wandering around Marrakech's hectic streets and the staff attentive and discreet. I can recommend the food - tasty and plenty of it, but not cheap. Beware the early morning muzzein calls, although one should expect it, it was somewhat louder than I was expecting.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Our tour company booked us at this riad and we were very happy with it. The courtyard is beautiful and the rooms are quite nice. The service was excellent. The location is close to the main square. It's about a ten minute walk through the side streets, which will take you past many shops and places to eat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Moucharabieh? Share your experiences!