“Very Luxurious” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palais Donab

Save Saved
You added Palais Donab to your Saves list
Palais Donab
4.5 of 5 Guest house   |   53 Dar El Basha Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 00345, Morocco   |
Ranked #432 of 1,031 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very Luxurious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a very ornate hotel, I say hotel as I would not describe this as a Riad, it feels very much like a business rather than a family run place. However, the staff are very friendly and the position of the hotel is very quiet. We had the Konoutobia Suite which was aesthetically very beautiful although it had a very strong smell of mothballs which wasn't very pleasant. The pool is amazing and much needed in the August heat. I was unsure at first if it was okay to lie by it in a bikini as when we stayed the hotel was very quiet with very few guests, but I did and it was all fine. The food was fine but nothing spectacular. We were a little disappointed when we were being served instant coffee which she said shen ew asked that it was from 'Asda' however, she did make some fresh coffee for us in the end. I would certainly recommend Donab to stay in Marrakech although I would suggest using it as a base and eating out which is what we did, but this is such a romantic stunning place to stay you would be mad not to treat yourselves.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 6 nights and we couldn't have had any more excellent service. The room was beautiful and the up keep of the gardens and surroundings are gorgeous especially compared to other riads. It is only 10 mins from the main square and souks ad only 1 minute away from a Spa - which was much to my delight.

The breakfast / lunch and dinner were all of great quality, some may say service is slow but I wouldn't agree at all. All the staff were attentive and knew us by name by the end of our stay.

I couldn't recommend this as a place to stay enough. We stayed in the yasmine suite but I can imagine that all the rooms as lovely.

A special thanks goes to a gentleman called Abdullah who looked after us everyday whilst we were chilling by the pool.

Room Tip: Yasmine suite is perfect for 3 friends as it is definitely bigger enough and also great for couples.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We discovered the Palais Donab by chance one hot day, and had lunch by the poolside under the
benign cover of orange and lemon trees. We were so enchanted that we went back 5 times during our short stay in Marrakech.
The staff are quiet, gentle and helpful but don't expect speedy service, not that this matters as you sip a glass of Rose and take in the beautiful surroundings. The menu is not extensive but it is well cooked and very tasty.
I would love to stay here one day, budget depending!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Though not staying at the hotel, I stopped here for dinner on my second night in Marrakech. I sat under the orange trees at a table next to the pool. The food and service were first rate, and the atmosphere superb as evening fell and I just let the experience wash over me. The tables were nicely set out, and the chance to enjoy a drink, while waiting for the food was really welcome.

I had Moroccan bread and mixed olives, followed by pastilla fruits de mer. The mains was well presented with lemon slices and capers, and the pastry was light and crispy. The seafood filling was beautifully spiced and the flavours were really fabulous together.

The meal was leisurely, and there was no sense of being rushed by the staff. All in all a great meal, and a wonderful evening.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Great location - no dark alleyways to walk down (a considerable number of Riads in Marrakech are located in areas that look dodgy during the day, let alone at night).

Refreshing garden / pool area - nice to come back to after the hussle and bussle of the city.

Indoor restaurant a nice place to eat - but the menu was uninspiring - chose to eat here after all the rave reviews it had received here on Tripadvisor, but cant understand why.

Coffee in the afternoon by the pool is very good, but the coffee served at breakfast was vile brown liquid not worthy of being called coffee. Breakfast itself was nothing to write home about either.

All staff very helpful, polite and friendly, with all looking extremely smart in their uniforms except the receptionist who looked as though she was about to go out clubbing and did not provide a very smart first impression of the hotel.

Room Tip: The Andalous suite was a good size with it's seperate lounge, but the bathroom was tiny.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Varese, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just a few steps away from our riad Dar Saad, Dar Donab (palais donab) is a wonderfull and romantic setting for couple dining. The pool side tables offer a very relaxing atmosfere in a beautiful garden, all within the medina walls.
We spent a beautiful evening and will come back again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My friend and I were not staying at this hotel but wanted to use their swimming pool. We paid 150MD to use their pool for the day and it was the best amount of money spent. The hotel is so relaxing, the gardens are lush and the budgies chirping away is very comforting! Even though we weren't staying their the staff were so attentive and put us at ease, the food was fabulous and we had two non alcoholic mojitos which were more tasty than alcoholic ones back at home!

My friend and I have already started planning on when we will come back to Marrakech to stay in this Riad, it is an aladdins cave, absolutely wonderful and it meant that on our last day we were totally relaxed to get the plane home!

Stay here everyone!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Palais Donab? Share your experiences!