We have just returned from Riad Dar NInbus, which is inside the old Marrakech (medina) where the famous square, markets and souks are situated. We stayed in the 3 bedroom suite, Anne Terrace- it was spacious and beautiful.
The service within the riad was exceptional and the staff are a credit to the owners for a number of reasons!
- on the night we arrived t 11 pm, we were greeted by Ali as soon as we stepped out of the taxi. He helped carry our bags up the stairs to our room. Once we had a settled, we heard a knock at our door, Ali presented us with complimentary mint tea and Moroccan cakes! We were so pleased, something you would not receive at a complex or hotel.
- on our first morning we had our breakfast, included in the price, which is very large and although continental, we have pancakes and eggs or bread muffins and eggs everyday with bread, jam etc. we were full for hours after!!
- after our first breakfast the manager Karim told us that, whenever we were ready, he would give us a map and answer any questions re tours or general questions we had. He speaks French Arabic and a good amount of English (especially considering English isn't a standard language that Moroccans are familiar with. He told us how to get around, key information about how to stay safe, ie. don't let something "tour you", the prices for taxis within the medina etc...
- once we we ready Karim took us out for the first visit to Morocco. As the medina is very easy to get lost in, with all the tall buildings and windy path ways everywhere. Each step of the walk, until we were happy to use the map, he gave us things that we can see to remember our journey back to our Riad. Ie. directly outside our riad was a painting of flowers, then at our right turning there was graffiti of "bad boys", then the laughing cow poster, the arch way, and so on. It was very helpful to begin with in order for us to look confident we knew the way to local "tour guides"
- everyday we were greeted by the very friendly Abdul who would come and chat to us, get us drinks if we needed the, etc. literally ensuring we had everything we needed at all times.
- one of the days we hadn't given them enough notice to prepare our dinner and we asked them at 7pm if they could prepare at least a sandwich, they said unfortunately not as the chefs had gone home as we hadn't told them. Then we heard a knock at our door, Karim was stood there and he told us if we gave him 60 dirham each he would go purchase us food to save us going out ( we had spent 7 hours in the markets we were very tired and in pain, although self inflicted, the thought of going to find food was at the bottom of our list. Karim returned with like a take away each of us has chicken and chips, and a huge mixed salad of potatoes, veg, rice and pasta. It was amazing!!
- one night we stayed out until 2pm, Ali stayed awake to ensure we got home safe which we really appreciated.
- Ali booked everything for us, and was always prepared to go that extra mile for us- eg. organising taxis, walking us to the taxi ranks and ensuring we get in safe.
We can all not express how much we appreciated Ali and Abdul.
My last comments, may sound negative, are practical info:
- this riad, and I assume all others, are not practical for those who would struggle walking up and down stairs- within the medina, they build up as out is not an option. However, some rooms are on the ground floor!! So worth asking for!!
- the riad is currently under going renovation (expanding into another space), we were not prepared about this, and although not a major problem to us, it's something that would have been respected if we had been told beforehand as one day we didn't feel comfortable going into the pool as the work men were right next to it and sometimes the drilling etc was very noisy in the early morning 8?
- I am pleased we didn't go half board or full board as their cuisine is Moroccan and begins to feel a bit repetitive. Although, was very tasty, great sizes and the meats Etc always changed, but the main was mainly tangine. We didn't ask for a change, so may be this was our fault and may be just our taste as we did begin to eat Italian!!?!? Why did we go to Morocco you asked?
Great stay overall and was very beautiful riad that you wouldn't even know was there!!