“Only a couple of nights” 3 of 5 stars

Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue du President Kennedy, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #343 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Only a couple of nights”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I only actually used this hotel for two nights, I took part in a trek across the Sahara an this was our before and after accommodation to sleep and shower.

We were able to check I on the first night about 1am, the room was tidy, clean and had a cute balcony. It was perfect for what we wanted, the bed was comfy and the shower powerful.

On the return after the trek we were checked into a different room this was also pleasant fully functioning.

The bar area is nice and not too expensive the only downside I really had was that the breakfast wasn't up to much, couldn't find any spoons and they run out of a few things :(

It is very close to the main market square which was fab, if I remember rightly the fare was 40 dirham. A lot of cheap bargains, It was a great night in the square definitely a must.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

With the exception of the bar and perhaps the [cold] pool area, this hotel is really devoid of service. I was staying there with an admittedly large party. This party needed to check out all at the same time, but if there were extra staff available to help then I did not see them. They offer an inclusive buffet style half board, but more than any other place in Marrakech this seems to mean bread, bread and more bread, coffee is average and juice is watery.
That said, the bar was nice and the staff there, although run off their feet coped well.
The hotel is in the dull Hiverage area, but close enough to walk to the old town or some life (although it is really not much better there, only different).
There have to be other hotels to go to, pay a couple of extra dollars and do that.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the road. Pool area is OK.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel was night 5 and 6 during an 8-day mini-bus tour and subsequent 6-days travelling Morocco alone. It was the best overall hotel during the tour but pales compared to the Riads in the Medina.

The hotel common areas are clean and presentable. The pool and grounds are well manicured.

Internet is randomly unreliable. They have routers spread across the building for an illusion of Wifi. One you connect to in the morning will probably not work by afternoon. It's like they have one modem and plug it into one router at a time. You can see clusters of guests wander with laptops to congregate in areas that work. Sometimes the bar... sometimes the lobby... sometimes no place at all.

We changed rooms 4-times upon arrival. The first smelled like a toilet. The second had a broken air conditioner. The third reeked of cigarettes. The fourth was acceptable as our standards fell.

The food was good but, I barely ate. I was into my 4th day of traveler's diarrhea. On that note, the toilet paper is terrible and my bum was rubbed raw.

The sour point for me was the porters. During check out, there were lines at all of the slow, tiny elevators. I opted to carry my 50-pound bag down 5 flights of stairs (which was not actually a hardship). The problem came when I entered the lobby and a porter forcibly grabbed my bag. At one point, we were both holding it as I tried to make clear I didn't want his help. He would not let go. He rolled my bag 10-feet to the bus (yes... it had wheels) and then lingered for a tip. He would even walk into my vision as I turned my back. Meanwhile, there are people who actually needed help with their bags. Completely unacceptable!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are a random mess. We changed four times because of toilet smell, cigarette smoke and a br...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed in a bungalow, which was very spacious and had a nice view of the garden. The cleaning crew came daily to wield a mop and replace towels in both bathrooms.
The hotel is well situated, with large grounds that give you the idea of a 'country' stay whilst being in the city. Quite a few restaurants nearby, attractions in walking distance or a (cheap) short taxi ride away.
We had half board, breakfast buffet was so-so: limited choice, no variation. We tried dinner, but that was of poor quality. Twice we payed a supplement for dining in the Italian restaurant, whci was OK (i.e. you had some say in what you could eat and quality was better - not overstewed). We also swapped dinner for lunch a few times, for salad and a bread roll buffet was just OK. From what we heard from other people such buffets seem par for the course in Morocco though. So we just had a couple of meals elsewhere, which were much better.

Room Tip: No idea about the rooms in main hotel. Bungalows ( a duplex with separate sleeping area and 2 bathro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Iroquois, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Of the four hotels we stayed at during a recent visit to Morocco the Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech was the best. It was not four star as advertised but fine for our needs.While the rooms were not bigger or significantly nicer than the other hotels the property was set up and designed to be accommodating. Service was for the most part delivered with the grace and sincerity that Morocco is famous for. My husband left a book in the restaurant and it was safely waiting for him at the front desk the next morning.The garden and pool area were delightful and our room enjoyed a lovely balcony where each morning I could sit and enjoy the fresh air before the onset of the day's heat. I grabbed coffee from the restaurant buffet, returned to my room and lingered with the view before facing the frenetic pace of the Moroccan traveler.The bar was spacious and the wine selection adequate and served, for the first time in our trip, by the glass. A large lobby also accommodated our group socializing.Unfortunately the food in the buffet was disappointing both at lunch, dinner and breakfast but at this, the final phase of our vacation, we had come to accept the limitations of the food and eat with some caution as others in our group had become ill by the time we reached Marrakech. The hotel includes a few quite interesting shops that were always closed when I was in the hotel which was disappointing as I had some Moroccan currency that I wanted to get rid of and had seen some quite nice items in the store windows.The hotel location is perfect for easy access to the famous Jemaa El Fna square and the labyrinth of soukes. The property seems to be a vacation destination for young French vacationers who fully utilize the bar and pool area.

Room Tip: As the elevators are a little undependable ask for a lower floor so the stairs are doable. Be sure t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel is set in very attractive gardens in a quiet part of Marrakech. It's about a 20 minute walk to the main square and the soukes or about 5 mins in a taxi, horse and cart or tuk tuk! Cost for each vary depending on how good your negotiating skills are and how receptive the driver is. Anything between 40 and 80 dhs.

The room we were in was a duplex that opened out in to the very leafy and well kept garden. The bed was upstairs along with a cupboard. The bathroom and small living area are on the ground floor. Both parts were clean however the bathroom towels were a bit thin but perfectly usable.

The breakfast was a typical continental fare event with a mixture of pastries, cold meats and cheeses. Generally all of these were fresh. There were also a couple of hot items which didn't look very appetising!

The best (free) wifi reception was in the lobby area with virtually no wifi in the rooms.

All in all, a pretty safe bet for Marrakech on not quite a budget but a solid 3* hotel with great pool and gardens.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed here last week for 4 nights and were quite disappointed. The room allocated was a duplex (two levels). Its ground floor was sticky and crawling with ants. Paint was cracked and peeling off the walls. The upstairs ceiling was very low. The air-con was basic. The bathroom paint was damp and, in places, mouldy.

Tired, we slept there the first night and in the morning asked for a change of room. The new room had (slightly) better air-con and a great view of a brick wall just outside the room. Interestingly, the receptionist did not appear at all perturbed when we asked for a change of rooms.

For a (purported) 4 star, this was very basic indeed.

Others have criticised the breakfast, so the less siad about that, the better ..

We shall not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech? Share your experiences!